Suzuki Outboard Repower

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulate It

Reaction score
So I have a 2001 Yamaha 150HPDI on my 21SE with around 600 hours. Motor is starting to cost me serious money in maintenance/repairs and I have looked into repowering with a Suzuki 150 or 175 four stroke. The four cylinder motor should give me better gas consumption and obviously eliminates the cost of yamalube and ring free which run me about $500+ a year.

Does anyone have real world experience with either Suzuki motor on their pPrker or know anyone that does? I'm curious about cost savings in fuel consumption and reliability (though I have heard nothing but good things about Suzuki and the motor comes with a 6 year warranty). Considering the cost to repower, I'm on the fence and may just run the hell out of the HPDi until it dies or becomes too costly to keep throwing money at. Thanks for your help, input or advice. Jason

I loved my suzuki i had it on a maritime skiff though. I put about 200 hours on it and never had anything to put on it other than maintenance items. Oil change zinks and a water pump. I have a 18 parker now and am currently looking for a nice used zuke 115 as i dont realy care for yamaha.

I had a 200 HPDI Yamaha on my 2320 Parker. I was getting 1.8 to 2.8 mph. I repowered with a 250 Suzuki 2015. I'm getting 2.8. I changed the prop to 4 blade and raised the motor 3 holes. I'm getting over 3 mpg now. I run her over 4,000 rpm all the time. 5,000 rpm a lot and hit 5800 rpm somtimes. I run it hard. I don't miss buying that 2 stroke oil at $30 a gallon. Wot 45 mph

What's going on with the HPDI? That motor should be really reliable. I have one too and would like to know what you're going through.

I don't think you will gain much efficiency except at idle/trolling speeds, and it will need to be properly set up from the start.

Do you have a good dealer for service?

Hey Brad how are you. The HPDI has been a beast the first 4 years I have owned the boat, but the cost of oil ($30+ a gallon and I blow through oil), replacing head gasket, injector cleaning, replacing all in line filters every two years got me thinking about a new motor, extended warranty and only expense being the water pump and oil changes. I got a decent quote for a 175 and then ran my payments/maintenance along side of the average annual cost to keep the Yammi running and decided to stick with the HPDI. Although I have heard mixed reviews from guys on the hull truth, it only has 600+ hours on it and has been incredibly reliable. I guess I got a good one - or at least I take good care of it. The fuel economy savings, from what I have read and heard are anywhere from marginal to a few gph. Long story short, I'm going to run it to death and just keep pouring money into it until it dies.

By the way - still only seeing 5200 rpm top end even with the 15" prop. Wonder if its time to move it up one hole.

I hear you on the inline filter cost. Add the vst filter and o-ring ($30!) each year and it adds up. I usually buy all my parts from Chris Pine at Beacon Light in Middle River because he answers his phone when I get stuck on a Sunday afternoon.

How much oil are you burning per tank of gas? For me it's usually about 75-100 gallons of gas per gallon of oil. If it's much higher than this, approaching 50:1, that definitely needs to be checked.

I pull the O2 sensor and dogbone every year and soak in seafoam to remove the carbon, helps with the idling.

It's almost always good to move it up a hole, if not two. These motors like to rev. Where is the cav plate in relation to the bottom of the boat?

600 hours. She is a baby. I had 3000 hours on my HPDI and sold it last year for $5500. You have a great motor. Are you having problems? The only thing I didn't like was she sucked up lots of two stroke oil. You can get a gall at Walmart for $18. Sale. Or if you know anyone in Florida it's $12 bucks there. You should not be replacing that o ring every year. If you drain the VST tank every season that filter will last 5 years. Or you can take that same brass screw out (screw to drain tank ) and spray carb cleaner inside and that will hit the filter and clean it. The first few years I did buy Yamaha oil at $30 but I stop doing that.

Brad - It hoovers oil - getting probably 50:1 now, was closer to 30:1 before I had the head gasket replaced. And I have been a die hard Yamalube user, but thinking of switching to Pennzoil XLF - seems like a lot of guys are doing it and its half the costs.

Brent - the head gasket was the only major one (knock on wood) its the additional maintenance costs of the HPDI - I don't do the service on it myself and my mechanic is super reasonable at $60 an hour, but I seem to be spending well over a grand a year just on filters, water pumps and other tickey tac stuff.

I had a guide buddy who got well over 3500 hours on his HPDI and he told me run it and then run it some more.

How hard is it to raise the motor up one hole?

Regulate It":2whwyv6n said:
Brad - It hoovers oil - getting probably 50:1 now, was closer to 30:1 before I had the head gasket replaced. And I have been a die hard Yamalube user, but thinking of switching to Pennzoil XLF - seems like a lot of guys are doing it and its half the costs.

Brent - the head gasket was the only major one (knock on wood) its the additional maintenance costs of the HPDI - I don't do the service on it myself and my mechanic is super reasonable at $60 an hour, but I seem to be spending well over a grand a year just on filters, water pumps and other tickey tac stuff.

I had a guide buddy who got well over 3500 hours on his HPDI and he told me run it and then run it some more.

How hard is it to raise the motor up one hole?

Years ago I had a powerhead replaced out of warranty by Yamaha due to an oiling failure because the dealer knew that I only used Yamalube. That being said, a lot of people like the XLF. I would drain the system before switching.

It sometimes pays to shop around on filters and parts, some people are a lot cheaper than others. $1k a year and filters and parts seems like a lot, but I know how it adds up. I was at $600 this year for ours- spin on, vst, hp filters, vst o ring, complete water pump kit, t stats and gaskets, O2 gasket, lower lube, etc.

People look at me crazy when I tell them it takes about 10% of the boats value to cover maintenance and repairs each year.

Raising up is not hard, need an engine hoist or forklift and a couple hours time, provided it's not set on the hull with 5200.

If you're still burning 50:1 you need to get that checked out before you build up lots of carbon and stick a ring or worse. Carbon buildup can quickly lead to engine failure.

Ok here we go. 98 2520 m/v sport cabin
Yammy(05) 225 grenaded at 780 hours. both wet and dry side corrosion. Marina kept and flushed well.
Performance was 4300 rpms getting 2.5mpg at 28mph. topped out at 5100 at 37 mph really a nice setup. made 5, 100 mile trips from Marco to the Keys(FL)

Decided on a 2017 Zuki 300 all digital controls. Came with a 3x16x18.5 (3 blade)
Initial perfomance was 3800 rpm 3.2 mpg (totally flat, no wind)in break in #2. After break #3 in topped out at 5200 at 37 mph. Then offshore in 2'-3' following sea got 2.9mpg at 3600rpm. So far with light cargo and 100gal in the tank.

i am going to switch to a 3x16x17. Might adjust the height as well. right now it sits in the 3d hole from top.

Very different behavior in this motor. it seems to dislike too much trim and gets very loud in protest. tracks beautifully and will plane very quickly. It will take a little getting used to but when i have stumbled on to the right trim rpm the engine sounds sweet, but i am only at 7 hours.

The Suzuki has fuel management on the screen that was in total agreement with my Garmin fuel management setup.

Any feedback will be appreciated, i will keep you posted.

Update: Ran WOT at the end of the incoming tide and got 5200 rpm 41mph and 1.7 mpg. Back to cruise at 3600 getting 2.9mpg at 27 mph.

i am going to switch to a 3x16x17.

That is what I'm running on my 2530 MV w/ 300APX.

But we dinged it back on 4th July. So I had them do it as 3 X 16 X 16.5

100_5005_zps143e0635.jpg

Set the motor to run level and leave it alone...... Then just use your tabs to change the boat's attitude.

After taking some photos of the engine on plane i will stay with the position. i will have to play with the trim tabs, it's weird all my other boats and engines were yammys and you had to find the sweet spot with the trim. this zuki doesn't really like to be trimmed. i found little gain from 25% trim to 45%.
Thanks for the advice Warthog5

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    108 KB · Views: 445
Back