Kicker engine. For 2320

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will probably get several different answers (and all will be valid) but here is my opinion. I have a kicker and the only time I have ever used it is on shore when I am making sure it works. If I ever get a newer motor I will probably take it off as I don't think the added weight is doing me any favors. On the other hand, if I ever needed it I would probably have a different opinion and be glad that I have it. I guess you have to determine if you are comfortable with the motor you have (although anything can break). Personally, the extra weight is hurting me but then again I do not have a bracket and water tends to come over the transom when I have too much weight.

RumRunner":322401km said:
Kicker engine good or bad idea. I have one 300 on a 2320 pilohouse.

I had a 15hp Yamaha kicker on my previous boat, 2003 Aquasport 205 Osprey with 225hp Honda 4 stroke, and never used or needed the kicker. These modern 4 strokes are so reliable and bullet proof that all that the kicker does is add extra weight and maintenance expense. Also its a PITA to have to remember to periodically run them. My advice is save your money. BTW have you had any luck fishing down here in these waters lately?

Banjo

I don't think a kicker is worth having unless you need it for trolling. A kicker wouldn't be any help if you are off shore and trying to get home with any kind of wind or sea running. Plus, if you factor in how many breakdowns are fuel related, unless you carry a separate fuel source for the kicker you're still dead in the water. You'd be better off spending your money on maintenance and a TowboatUS subscription. Or, if redundancy is that important, buy twins.
At least, that's the view from up in the cheap seats.

My boat came with one when we bought it.

The kicker is one of the 1st things removed.

I had toyed with the idea of getting small yami kicker for my 2320 since I fished 100+ mi out into the Gulf frequently. Since the 2320 likes weight fwd and not aft I was going to make a cradle for it and store as far fwd in the cabin as possible. If needed, the plan was to break it out of the cradle and mount it on the dedicated bracket on the swim platform. Admittedly not the best plan in an emergency situation for quick deployment but still nice to have a secondary propulsion system onboard. I never got around to it.

My fishing buddy Larry had a 9.9 on his 2520 MV that was mechanically linked to the F250. It was sad to see it never get used and sit there deteriorating in the sun/weather.

Four strokes are about as reliable as an engine gets even when dipped in saltwater. Personally, I think if you keep up with the maintenance you would be fine single engine. Someone quoted some stats that indicated that most offshore vessels outside of recreational use are single engine not twin.

I was going to make a cradle for it and store as far fwd in the cabin as possible. If needed, the plan was to break it out of the cradle and mount it on the dedicated bracket on the swim platform. Admittedly not the best plan in an emergency situation for quick deployment but still nice to have a secondary propulsion system onboard. I never got around to it.

That would have been a major PITA. I can just see trying to hang that thing in a pitching sea and it going to Davy Jones Locker.

Never mind to storage it would take up and always be in the way.

I have a Yahm 9.9 0n my 2320 but I use it for trolling 80+ hrs a season that is the only reason to have a kicker. I agree you can keep your engine and fuel system well maintained for the cost of a kicker.

warthog5":17ggi16k said:
I was going to make a cradle for it and store as far fwd in the cabin as possible. If needed, the plan was to break it out of the cradle and mount it on the dedicated bracket on the swim platform. Admittedly not the best plan in an emergency situation for quick deployment but still nice to have a secondary propulsion system onboard. I never got around to it.

That would have been a major PITA. I can just see trying to hang that thing in a pitching sea and it going to Davy Jones Locker.

Never mind to storage it would take up and always be in the way.

I hear you. But it was all measured out and would fit tucked away nicely on the deck under the center V-berth cushion. In rough seas I'd stay anchored up or use a sea anchor. That kicker isn't going to be effective in rough seas anyway. Let it calm down and then whittle away at that 100 mile gap.

Banjo...sorry I never answered you. First, thanks guys for saving me some money. What would most concern me is out 60 miles, but you're right, most likely the kicker wouldn't get you in before nightfall. That's out of my comfort zone.
Banjo, I put her on the rack in July, and haven't fished since. Had a trip to west coast. Prior to leaving, had some Cobia luck at Betsy Ross, along with a bunch of Spadefish. Went out to the Deli on a perfect day, and caught four Mahi, an Atlantic Bonito, and about 14 Vermillion on way back at the Snapper Banks. Hooked up a bunch of Spanish in the Savannah River channel. Caught a nice Tarpon off Port Royal Sound. Plan to chase some Bull Reds and sea trout when I put her back in in October. Then Sheepshead in the cold months. How about you? Any luck in the Beaufort area? BTW, last year I caught a female Cobia right under the 170 Bridge, and turned her over to Waddell Mariculture Center for breeding. Made the Island Packet news concerning dwindling Port Royal Cobia numbers.

Well I am glad you came to your senses and spared yourself that expense, hassle and false security. I only wish that I had sought out good advice like you did when I wasted my money on a new Yamaha kicker a few years ago, always good to learn from others mistakes. That's what makes this forum such a great resource. I really have not fished that much lately but did run out to the Betsy Ross and caught a bunch of black sea bass. They would hit as soon as you presented the bait to them, one after another until we tired of it. Have not really had much luck with the Reds on the river and the creeks up here this year and yes I did hear about your Cobia last year. We will be leaving to go up north in a few weeks and then return in mid December. Where do you go to get the Sheepshead during the cold months? I really prefer fishing during the cooler seasons as the older I get the less I can stand the oppressive heat and humidity. Maybe when I get back we can get together and go out for a run.

Sounds good Banjo. I get Sheepshead mostly in the back channels near existing docks. Around Bull Island and up the May River. Once over by Pametto Bluff. And the General Gordon offshore. My 2320 is pretty versatile in skinny waters. Once in a while, I have to raise my engine and pole out of there with a 12' pole I keep aboard. You need to have a goodly supply of sand fiddlers, which are hard to find in the winter. I try to dig up a bunch, or buy them...when I can find them, and have a "farm" in my garage, that I can use all winter. They are pretty hardy, and as long as you get them fresh water every couple days, they live forever. I am around all winter if you'd like to go.

Back