Below deck battery?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently bought a 21 DV center console. I was thinking of mounting my batteries bellow deck. My bilge has remained super dry. That being said I don't think there is much air flow in it. Is it safe to mount my batteries in the bilge? Gas build up?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you use AGM style I think you will be fine mounting them there. Actually, probably any style will be OK but I like the AGM's. A lot guys have them mounted in the bilge. I'm sure other will chime in.

I have a pair of Lifeline AGM batteries mounted on a shelf (factory design) under the deck. No issues.
If I do get water in the bilge, it is underneath of that shelf, so water never gets to those batteries.
Also... I have primary and backup 1500 gph pumps to make certain water never gets that high. :)

Now when I installed those batteries it was a bit of a pain due to the size of the batteries and the location under deck.
My eventual plan is to remove that leaky OEM bilge deck hatch and replace it with a 24x24 aluminum 'NASA hatch' like Bobby used on his 2530.

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/product ... 15300.html

The 24x24 hatch will 'uncover' the batteries making it easier to get to them, as well as giving me a water tight seal.
A win - win proposition, though if you check that link above, you will see that those hatch are not cheap.

So... you can mount your batteries under deck so long as precautions are taken.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSCN0036.jpg
    DSCN0036.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCN0037.jpg
    DSCN0037.jpg
    344.7 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCN0031.jpg
    DSCN0031.jpg
    413.4 KB · Views: 267
I haven't seen many Parkers that Didn't have the batteries in the bilge.

20160302_150255_zpsbh8ifaxi.jpg

It appears battery gas is not something I need to worry about. Thank you guys. Another question, anyone know of a see threw hatch I can replace my bilge hatch with? The stainless one is great. A little too pricey for me. Call me nervous. But I like being able to see in my bilge easy. Just a piece of mind I guess. Thanks again for all the help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMHO, a see-thru hatch would be nothing but trouble in the long run. It would get scuffed and scratched and the UV from the sun would turn clear to opaque in short time. Butter off buying some knee pads! :D :D

Back