advice on possible repower 2120

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In2Deep

Reaction score
Ready to pull the trigger on a 2014 Yamaha F 150 with 34 hours. The seller told me my 2004 Yamaha F150 wiring harness will work? Anyone confirm?
Also the motor has a 20" leg(shaft) ,how difficult is it to swap to a 25" shaft?
TIA

Changing out a lower unit is not that hard to do but they are not cheap. A few years back I swapped out one on an old 115 2 stroke using a remanufactured one and I think it was $700 or $ $800? Of course, you should be able to sell the 20" shaft. You can do the job in a few hours providing no unusual problems. What's your current power by the way?

shawnee83":3oe48f9w said:
Changing out a lower unit is not that hard to do but they are not cheap. A few years back I swapped out one on an old 115 2 stroke using a remanufactured one and I think it was $700 or $ $800? Of course, you should be able to sell the 20" shaft. You can do the job in a few hours providing no unusual problems. What's your current power by the way?

2004 F 150, I was under the impression that it was the midsection on the motor that needed to be swapped not the lower unit. The addition of a longer water tube and some sort of shaft.

I would love to put something bigger on but I found this sweet deal on a basically new motor. Just cant pass it up.
I think a 250 would be the best power for the 2120's. Just dont know haw that much weight would feel on the transom,etc.

I guess I'm not the best person to comment on the shaft and lower change out as I didn't consider just changing out the water tube and shaft etc..? Makes sense. I've only swappped out a bad one for a new one. But obviously the shaft and water tube would need to be longer and maybe the shift rod? See what the real pros on here have to say on that. As to the motor, I asked because I thought you already had a 150. Did your current 150 die on you or are you just going to swap it out for the much newer model because of the deal? If the old one is still good, then maybe buy the deal if it's that good and sell both of them and get a newer 200 or definitely one of the 4.2L F225/250 etc..? My old F225 is a heavy bastard but the new 4.2L 225/250's are 50/60 lbs lighter? Mine is ok now that I've done the mods that we've talked about but I don't think it's over powered by any measure. I hope my current power runs forever and I'd like to keep my 2120 for a long time also with paying college tuition on the horizon. That said, if I had to repower today, I sure would love to put one of the 4.2L blocks on it. Would love to put the 300 on it (same block and weight as 225/250) and prop it for low RPM higher speed cruise. Hey, A deal is a deal, I get it. Sometimes a situation presents itself and it's the best option at the time.

I was under the impression that it was the midsection on the motor that needed to be swapped not the lower unit.

Your correct.

I'd pass on the Deal. It's not a Deal if you have to jump thru hoops.

In2deep, i have a 2007 21' SC. I have a 200hp 4 stroke yammi on the boat. I am glad i have the extra hp. I personally thing the 150 is too small. The 21's are heavy boats as you know. Good luck on your search and your repower.

I have a 175hp 4 stroke which I think gets the job done but I was wondering what the max is for the 2120?

Yes 225 hp max. My original motor (2200 hrs) exhaust is louder ,runs perfect otherwise. Figured I'd look around and see what's on the market. 150 is adequate ,not optimal. Economical ,reliable, Mabey a tad underpowered. Last summer with 5 adults and 4 kids with a half tank of fuel and she planed off fine. I think the limiting factor is motor weight and my pocket!
If I had disposable cash I'd go with the new 4.2L F 300.

You know your boat and at 2200 hrs on current power I can understand looking at a good deal on newer 150. It will get the job done so just figure out how much it will cost you to convert it to 25" shaft. Wish I could help you there. As you said, "disposable cash". Right there with ya.

Oh , guess I should have mentioned. The dealer is including the conversion from the 20" to the 25" shaft.

Back