2801 Larger Tabs?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabman

Reaction score
Hi all, my turn to ask a question!

Have a customer wanting to put larger Tabs on their 2801. Currently have 12 x 9. Any of you have experience with that hull and Tabs? I think at least 18 x 12 or 24 x 9. But in theory could go larger.

They may ask here too as I told them to checkout Classic Parker for the best info!

Thanks!

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

shawnee83":33nc7cei said:
Twins or single? Assuming twins?

Dang! I forgot to ask as I assumed twins! EDIT Twins

Tom
Bennett Marine

warthog5":unglwy6z said:
My question is...... Are the tabs in a molded pocket?

Not pocketed, turns out they are 12 x 9 Lencos.

I suggested putting 12 x 12 Lencos in their place. He is checking to make sure the actuators mount the same distance out on the Tabs If so it will be an easy swap for more lift without having to move the actuator or transducer locations.

Tom
Bennett Marine

I think that you need to revisit the pocketed tabs question with your customer. Perhaps they don't understand what that means? Anyway, based on that orgigional size tab and that I looked at a photo of new 2801 transom, I can tell you that a new 2801 appears to have pocketed tabs? Is it an older 2801? Funny, I think the pic I found is of Grouperjim's new rig?

Attachments

• IMG_1387.PNG
    IMG_1387.PNG
    219.6 KB · Views: 311
shawnee83":v34tc1yu said:
I think that you need to revisit the pocketed tabs question with your customer. Perhaps they don't understand what that means? Anyway, based on that orgigional size tab and that I looked at a photo of new 2801 transom, I can tell you that a new 2801 appears to have pocketed tabs? Is it an older 2801? Funny, I think the pic I found is of Grouperjim's new rig?

No it's not pocketed, he sent me a picture :)

Tom

Must not be a brand new one then? Interesting. I would think that going to 12x12 will involve a small adjustment to the actuator mounting location unless he can shim up the gap from moving the mount out? Without looking at it?? Hope it all works out though.

shawnee83":e2zg3n4x said:
Must not be a brand new one then? Interesting. I would think that going to 12x12 will involve a small adjustment to the actuator mounting location unless he can shim up the gap from moving the mount out? Without looking at it?? Hope it all works out though.

Our (Bennett) trim tabs have the mounting point for the actuators the same distance out from the hinge on both the 9" and 12". That way the 12'' just sticks out 3" more. The Tabs can be interchanged without having to change anything. Looking at his tabs I suspect it might be the case with his Lencos as well. He is going to contact Lenco with his measurements.

Even if he has to shim it a bit at the lower hinge, it's easier than moving the actuator mount on the transom.

Tom
Bennett Marine

Thanks for starting the thread TabMan. They are not pocketed, it's a 2002 with 9x12 Lenco's. I took Tabmans advice and contacted Lenco and they sent me instructions on installing 12x12's. I asked if I could go larger but have not heard back yet. Really wanted to go bigger but maybe I will see a difference in the 12x12's. Do you guys think 12x12 will make a noticeable difference?

I'll report back when I have more information.

shawnee83":11ordvpl said:
Funny, I think the pic I found is of Grouperjim's new rig?

Tight work Shawnee.

She lives on the left coast now. Splashed her in the Gulf for a sea trial. Lower units included. :mrgreen:

Fun and quick much like my old 23 DV.

The new 2801s have 12W by 18L in a pocket.

321287-albums8916-picture91141.jpg

321287-albums8916-picture91142.jpg

I thought that was yours Jim. I recognized the surrounding from your original pic. I also figured it had to be yours with that color and the twin 300's. :D She's a beautiful boat for sure. I hope she treats you well and you have tons of fun on her.

12x18 sounds like the perfect size...no clue why they put 12x9's on at the factory. I'm nervous 12x12's still won't do the trick.

grouperjim":pnvprudn said:
shawnee83":pnvprudn said:
Funny, I think the pic I found is of Grouperjim's new rig?

Tight work Shawnee.

She lives on the left coast now. Splashed her in the Gulf for a sea trial. Lower units included. :mrgreen:

Fun and quick much like my old 23 DV.

The new 2801s have 12W by 18L in a pocket.

321287-albums8916-picture91141.jpg

321287-albums8916-picture91142.jpg

12x18 sounds like the perfect size...

Not to me, with the research we have done on these hulls. But maybe it's just the pilothouses that like BIG tabs and have proven to get better mileage with 2 boats identical side By side with the only difference being the bigger tabs.

The pockets limit what you can do. I know of a Mako that filled his pockets in and installed bigger tabs.

So you think 12x12 are big enough?

warthog5":1wa485kz said:
12x18 sounds like the perfect size...

Not to me, with the research we have done on these hulls. But maybe it's just the pilothouses that like BIG tabs and have proven to get better mileage with 2 boats identical side By side with the only difference being the bigger tabs.

The pockets limit what you can do. I know of a Mako that filled his pockets in and installed bigger tabs.

I have the 12x18's .. as in they are 12" from the transom out and 18" wide. 12 wide and 18 long (front to back) are what are on the new ones using pockets if I understand Grouperjim correctly? On your model without tab pockets, you want to go wider not longer if possible. If I understand you size then, they are 12 from the transom out and 9" wide? If this is the case, both 12 x 12 and 12 x 18 will require moving your actuators to do the job correctly. This is JMO. Others with your hull may have a different opinion and experience. From everything I've read here and other places, the general rule of thumb is go wider rather the longer when possible.

Attachments

• IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1391.JPG
    IMG_1391.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 242
So you think 12x12 are big enough?

Nope. I ran 12 X 12's on my 23 Mako. It was bracketed with twins..... 6ft beam.

The last tabs I installed on a 23ftr with bracketed outboard and 8'-6" beam I put 12 X 18's.

I have 12 X 18's on my 2530 Parker.

10-4. Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to not move the actuator but I guess it's a small price to pay for how the boat will handle.

shawnee83":1f4etuac said:
I have the 12x18's .. as in they are 12" from the transom out and 18" wide. 12 wide and 18 long (front to back) are what are on the new ones using pockets if I understand Grouperjim correctly? On your model without tab pockets, you want to go wider not longer if possible. If I understand you size then, they are 12 from the transom out and 9" wide? If this is the case, both 12 x 12 and 12 x 18 will require moving your actuators to do the job correctly. This is JMO. Others with your hull may have a different opinion and experience. From everything I've read here and other places, the general rule of thumb is go wider rather the longer when possible.

Back