Exhaust Corrosion Repairs

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M5

Reaction score
My 2004 Yamaha F200 is suffering from the Exhaust Corrosion issue.

It has almost 1100 hours of bullet proof performance and is showing the usual signs.

Overheat alarm at idle and slightly louder exhaust tone.

All appropriate service is always performed.

Water pump, thermostats, poppet valve, etc...

I can order the Repair Kit from SIMS Yamaha and my Marine Mechanic is scheduled
to perform the repairs in March.

I keep the boat on a lift and use it all year long.

Still searching for the elusive In Shore Blue Fin Tuna.

My question is this: Has anyone here had this repair performed and is there anything
I should be aware of?

All suggestions and/or advise is wanted..

Thanks
Kevin

The only thing I can think of is the timing belt should be replaced at 1000 hrs. So if you haven't replaced it yet have your mechanic add that on to the repairs while he has it apart. I had my 2004 225 done at 1000 hours. I posted when I had it done with picks of all the parts they replaced

These are expensive engines.

If the service manual says to do it, it's been done..

Everything has been performed as required and completely flushed after every use.

Preventive maintenance is economical insurance.

This corrosion issue sucks, but it is what it is.

The only choice is to perform the work..

My main interest is finding out if the repair kit just replaces the damaged parts,
and they will deteriorate in the future as the original parts did, or are the new parts better made
thereby correcting the problem into the future.

As stated, the engine has performed floorless and I'm expecting at least an additional 2-3000 hours
of future service.

The 2120 is the perfect boat for how I use it.. It'll run 44 MPH flat out on a calm ocean or bay, while
keeping us dry, warm and comfortable. It'll handle a 3-4 foot swell and a 2-3 foot chop well...

Lower the tabs, bury the bow and march on.

Looking forward to our Annual New Year's Day boat ride...

I didi my f225 last spring. Its a pretty straight forward project but we also replaced the oil pump while I had the power head off.

I agree will the other members.

I would purchase a Yamaha shop manual if don't have one

I would replace oil pump. If the shaft seal through the oil pan, replace with speedy sleeve kit -SIM will know about it.

good time for full water pump overhaul, lower unit fluid change and replace both gaskets, change oil, filter and replace oil plug gasket, prop polished, checked for damage and repaired if needed, when prop is off, lube the fitting behind prop carefully and slowly add grease

If the fuel injectors have not been cleaned, good time for it. I use Flagship Marine in Punta Gorda but I am local

Clean out speedo tube at same time.

At some point the poppit {or poppet valve, or pressure control valve) on the outside needs replacing

Check all anodes. one or 2 on the outside. Several internal ones around the cylinder heads and replace the corresponding gaskets.

replace spark plus now or later -- your call

replace thermostats with new ones - if needed

replace internal and external fuel filters, if needed, My external is now a Racor 2 micron

check trim motor hydraulic pump fluid level and replace gasket

is the trim switch on the cowling working? Mine is often splashed with water and failed. another POS design

Is the trim sender on the engine bracket showing tirm on the dash gauge?
It is a POS design and breaks off at the pivot arm

some of these items you can perform and or not required at this time

Good luck

So what's the cost on the exhaust part and install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ours was done several years ago (details in the archives) and before a kit was available. Each individual part was ordered including a shaft speedy sleeve, new oil pan, pump, etc. I have not checked all of the parts included in a kit. The cost was over $3200 including pick up and return bc we don't have a trailer. It was done by a certified Yamaha master mechanic at San Carlos Marine in Ft Meyers and he had done the repair many times (well versed on the time and cost, too). The owner goofed when picking up the boat and brought the wrong trailer. We waited until another trailer was delivered. He gave us 10% off the labor and 20% off the parts bc he knew it would be expensive and contacted Yamaha Corp in ATL about repairing another boat (ours) with corrosion issues. He didn't receive any assistance from them but all credit to hm for trying. He was on the front line with customers and said it would be expensive . We could not do it bc they have a Florida home but live full time out of state. If you are handy, have some time, a big garage and factor in the possibility of ordering in unexpected parts after the tear down then go from it. Be sure to have a factory shop manual. I didn't want to do it and the only shops that we could find with experience mechanics doing this repair were in Ft Meyers and Tampa. Today we would go a shop in Placida who have done over work for us. I think you could do it for around $1100 or less and / or at the same time, consider the boat will be down for a month maybe less and go over the entire OB and perform other items at the time that I mentioned in a pervious post. Alas, we only did a few items.
Good luck

jacksdad said:
So what's the cost on the exhaust part and install?

I believe mine was about $3,200.00 also which included a new timing belt, water pump, oil pressure sending unit, spark plugs

Does the power head have to come off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SIM Yamaha has a repair kit which includes a new Oil Pump for less than $1200.

Labor should be around 10 hours.

EXHAUST KIT WITH OIL PUMP FOR 2004~2007, 25" F200, F225 & F250HP MOTORS EXHAUSTKIT0405SIM

I'll post pictures and more detailed information when the repair is complete.

Scheduled for March...

Repairs have been completed and engine is running great.

Here are a few pictures...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 556
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 556
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 555
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 557
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 556
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 557
Additional Pictures

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 555
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 554
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 554
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 556
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 554
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 555
Wow. Some pretty decent corrosion visible. I hope I can dodge this bullet. Glad to hear the repair went well and she is running good. Hope you get that 2 or 3K additional hrs out of it.

Back