2000 2520MV REPOWER 2017 YAM XBF250

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dadsdayoff2

Reaction score
Manokin River, Chesapeake Bay /Roxborough, PA.
Hello it's been a few years since I've posted. I pulled the trigger this week and replaced my 17 year old ox66 225 with a new 4.2 liter f250. That old motor was very good to me and never left me stranded, original power head and lower unit. But all good things have to end sooner or later. She was looking tired and got a very fair deal on a new engine. If the new one lasts as long as the old one, it will take me to my 70's.
Question; has anyone repowered with similar lately? If so what kind of performance and fuel economy are you getting? Thanks I can't go pick it up for another 10 days and can't wait. I got these pictures from dealer today

Attachments

• IMG_1280.JPG
    IMG_1280.JPG
    304.1 KB · Views: 696
Wow, your post made me get out my calculator. I didn't realize or consider my 1999 OX66 225 will be beginning her 19th season on the water. Amazing.
Good luck with the new power, hopefully I am a few years behind you.

I have a 2000 ox66 225 and have also looked to repower how did you do for trade in value

Hi Guys, I was supposed to get 2,750 for my trade. When I dropped it off they drained the lower unit and the fluid was toast, the lower unit was obviously about to go. That being said, out the door price 18k installed with New SS prop,gauges, wiring harness and key switch. I think it was a very fair price, motor that list almost 24k. I was able to re use my dual mechanical controls which save a lot of $...

That's a great price. Hope this helps guys who are thinking about repowering to a Yamaha 4.2L...Here's what I paid for a 4.2L 300 with digital electronic controls:
4.2L F300 UCA 30" $19,900
MAIN DEC CONTROL $1,025.00
MAIN KEY PANEL $227.00
2 GAUGE COMMAND LINK KIT $720.00
MAIN DEC HARNESS $283.00
SDS STAINLESS PROP $600.00

I sold my 2001 OX66 225 myself for $6500. Clean low hour motor but took about 6 weeks to sell due to the 30" shaft. If it was 25", I had guys lined up for the asking price.

I am very happy with the upgrade albeit it was ridiculously expensive. If Suzuki had a larger dealer presence in southern NJ, I would have likely gone in that direction to save $$$.

I cruise at 4200 RPM, around 27 MPH and avg. 2.0 to 2.4 MPG with my 2520 MVSC. If you hammer the throttle, she about jumps out of the water with the all that torque.

warthog5":2w2haufp said:
Where are your trim tabs?
I have owned this boat for 12 years and never saw a need for them. It trims out nicely using the motor and as for port to starboard, I just adjust my load (hey you sit on that side)....seriously when I bought it it didn't have them and I never found a reason to add them.

dadsdayoff2":37uq5m4j said:
warthog5":37uq5m4j said:
I have owned this boat for 12 years and never saw a need for them. It trims out nicely using the motor and as for port to starboard, I just adjust my load (hey you sit on that side)....seriously when I bought it it didn't have them and I never found a reason to add them.

Treat yourself to a pair of 18x9's and you'll say how did I ever run this boat without them??
With that new power, and if you add tabs, you will be amazed at what creature you just woke up from her slumber!

sydngoose":kjjttepe said:
dadsdayoff2":kjjttepe said:
warthog5":kjjttepe said:

Treat yourself to a pair of 18x9's and you'll say how did I ever run this boat without them??
With that new power, and if you add tabs, you will be amazed at what creature you just woke up from her slumber!

100% agree with everyone on the tabs. I can't imagine having a boat of this size without them. So much unrealized capability and function.

Ok you guys have me shopping for trim tabs. The Tabman recommends the Bolt 24x9's... is anyone using the bolt electric tabs and does anyone have the Auto Pro Trim switch? It's not cheap at $425 but the YouTube video looked impressive?
Thanks, Ken

I just put 24x9 Bennetts on my 2520 2 seasons ago. Do you wet slip? Tom usually recommends hydraulic for wet slipped boats. I do not have the auto trim, I think it just came out. I do have the indicator control though.

Here's the kit you want.... Don't cheap out.

Bennett Boat Marine Trim Tab Kit 249EIC 24" x 9" w/Electronic Indicator Switch

The EIC really helps at a glance as to where your tabs are positioned.

You want auto retract also. IE: Shut the motor down and if the tabs are extended they will auto retract.

With the combo of GPS , MPG & engine trim + Trim tabs , you can now set out to have some fun and see just how efficient that motor can be.

IE: The fastest comfortable speed and the BEST MPG.

Bet ya never throught of that.....Did ya? :)

TimC2520":2s9wewqp said:
I just put 24x9 Bennetts on my 2520 2 seasons ago. Do you wet slip? Tom usually recommends hydraulic for wet slipped boats. I do not have the auto trim, I think it just came out. I do have the indicator control though.
Tom used to usually recommend hydraulic Trim Tabs for wet slipped boats, we now have a lifetime warranty on the actuators for both our hydraulic and electric systems regardless of being wet slipped or not.

When we designed the BOLT electric system we designed the actuators from scratch to solve the issues that older designs of electric Trim Tabs suffered from.

Hydraulic systems are great and I have seen them still running after 25 years on a boat, plus it's very easy to swap parts if needed.

But nowadays if I was installing a new system on a boat like the 2520 I would install the BOLT electric, even if is kept in the water.

If it were a Viking 65 I would install hydraulic since the actuators are farther below the water and it is a big hassle to haul the boat.

I hope this makes sense and helps,

Tom McGow
Bennett Marine

Ken,

The biggest improvement I noticed immediately was being able to stuff the bow a bit lower in chop. I used to have to slow down alot in small chop or she would pound badly. Now I can trim the bow down a bit and do speeds I never would have attempted without tabs. You will notice a difference immediately. Be careful though, the 24X9's make the hull adjust quickly because of their size. I just tap the buttons for a second and the hull reacts quickly. Takes some getting used to.

We'll finally got to sea trial new engine today. Good news, Old one around 18-20mph @ 4K rpm, new motor 27-28 mph @ 4K 2.5 mpg and a top speed of 42 mph. Bad news is trim tabs are definitely needed now... over 30mph she lists noticeably to starboard. Also max rpm was 5500 1/2 fuel 2 people on board. Don't know if changing prop will be worth it, gonna check with dealer tomorrow for their opinion as I believe the preferred range is 5500-6000.

Back