props, tabs and power, ug my head hurts!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djam

Reaction score
So I've been scouring the various posts trying to decide if I need to make any changes to the configuration of my boat before she arrives. I'm about 6 weeks out from taking delivery so now is the time to request changes. The boat is a 2017 2320 with a 300hp Yamaha. All of my fishing will be pacific waters out of southern california. mixture of running to the islands (70-100 mile round trip) or offshore (20-150 miles, no I don't troll usually.). Right now I'm getting the standard trim tabs and SS prop. Should I look at upgrading the trim tabs and/ or prop now before I get the boat. The boat will be slipped and no trailer, so doing work will be a bit of a pain after launch. Permatrim recommended? Or just wait until I've had the boat for a bit and then experiment.

I've seen lots of posts, but different sized motors, so I'm not sure how much is applicable. Any advice, suggestions appreciated. This is my first boat, i've been part of boat clubs for the last 4 years, where I didn't have ownership of the configuration.

I'll go ahead and get this out there as many here already know that I'm a big fan of the Permatrim. That would be my recommendation. I would have the dealer set your motor at least 1 hole up from the lowest setting at a minimum and add a Permatrim. That very well may be good enough to enable you to skip the larger tabs? As someone who has added both of these mods, (12x18" tabs & Permatrim) I can tell you without hesitation that I would do the Permatrim first before the tabs. I don't know what your stock prop will be but I'm assuming it will be a good Yamaha SS and the size may be just fine out of the gate. That 300 is going to be a great motor for that 2320. Your going to love it.

If I'm not mistaken?....... The newer boats all have pockets that the tabs go in, therefore it is impossible to upgrade to larger tabs without hull surgery.

From what your saying, you make long runs..... Max the fuel holding capability out.....Maybe even think of adding portable fuel bladder.

Personally, I would hold off on getting a permatrim. I have a 2003 2320 with a 225. This setup is a little underpowered, which is why I installed the permatrim. I need all the help I could get when comes getting out of the hole. Plus my fuel tank sets further aft than the 2006 and newer hulls (i believe), making the boat stern heavy hence the need for a permatrim.

You have a 300, there isn't a whole lot of information out there regarding 300's on 2320's. With that being said, I would run the boat at least the first season, before you start making changes and drilling holes. Who knows, you might end up having to put a lot of your weight fwd (i.e. aux tank), which could mitigate the need for bigger tabs and permatrim. Something to think about.

I never know what I upgrades I need, until I use something for awhile. Just a thought.

I need to do more testing, but right now I'm not getting what I expected from the boat. It comes out of the hole awesome and generally starts planing about 20-22mph. I've taken it to WOT a few times and running about 5400rpms and 43-46mph according to GPS in moderate seas. I thought the top end would be closer to 5800 or 6000.

Now for my question because I don't really run top. At cruise at 3900-4000rpms I'm doing about 25-27mph, but burning 1.6mpg or 1.9 according to the built-in gauge. The GPS speed and Yamaha speed are almost identical. At 4200rpms I get 26-29mph. Same 1.6-1.9mpg. Some of my friends are getting 2.1 to 2.4.

My load is a full tank (i'm usually doing 160-200 miles) at 137g, 4 guys with a total weight of about 800lbs, 65-gallon bait tank with 2 scoops, and probably 50/60lbs of ice plus fishing gear. I know that is a lot of weight, are my fuel numbers reasonable for this boat? MOst of the people I know don't have th 300hp engine, they are running 250s.

Boat:2017/ 2320 no bottom paint
Motor: 300hp Yamaha

running the local waters in southern California.

djam":2yfif4hy said:
I need to do more testing, but right now I'm not getting what I expected from the boat. It comes out of the hole awesome and generally starts planing about 20-22mph. I've taken it to WOT a few times and running about 5400rpms and 43-46mph according to GPS in moderate seas. I thought the top end would be closer to 5800 or 6000.

Now for my question because I don't really run top. At cruise at 3900-4000rpms I'm doing about 25-27mph, but burning 1.6mpg or 1.9 according to the built-in gauge. The GPS speed and Yamaha speed are almost identical. At 4200rpms I get 26-29mph. Same 1.6-1.9mpg. Some of my friends are getting 2.1 to 2.4.

My load is a full tank (i'm usually doing 160-200 miles) at 137g, 4 guys with a total weight of about 800lbs, 65-gallon bait tank with 2 scoops, and probably 50/60lbs of ice plus fishing gear. I know that is a lot of weight, are my fuel numbers reasonable for this boat? MOst of the people I know don't have th 300hp engine, they are running 250s.

Boat:2017/ 2320 no bottom paint
Motor: 300hp Yamaha

running the local waters in southern California.

Different model year and different motor but here is my two cents........ Have had my 2008 2320 with a F250 for over a year and a half now, believe the new 300's may be lighter in weight than the older 250's.

I usually run a very heavy boat as you do, full gas tank, 4 guys, live well, gear, ect..... My motor came with the stock 19p black painted stainless which is a decent prop for a much lighter boat.

Boat always felt that the motor was dragging and the hole shot wasn't the best so I installed an SE Sport 300 and raised it 2 holes last year which made a good difference overall but the more load on the boat I was only seeing 5300-5400 max rpm and the boat was a dog in the mid ranges.

Worked with my local marina a new prop last week, went with an OSI 4 blade 17p and wow what a difference. Better hole shot, cruise mpg up .3/.4, boat feels like a go cart now in the mid ranges, excellent throttle response between 3500-5000 rpm. Can trim the motor more now and can turn 6100 rpm light and 5800 rpm heavy. Feels like a different boat. Did lose about 2 mph on the top end but don't need to go that fast.

Also if I'm not running offshore I usually keep the gas tank 1/2-3/4, no need to carry all that weight around.

Some numbers from this past weekend with 3/4 tank of gas, this was in the bay and a flat ocean.

1 person

Top rpm - 6100
Cruise - 4500, 2.6/2.7 mpg, 26-28 mph.

2 persons

Top rpm - 6000
Cruise - 4500 2.5/2.6 mpg, 26-28 mph.

3 persons with gear, ice, full live well, ect.....

Top rpm - 5800
Cruise - 4500 2.1/2.2 mpg, 25-27 mph.

thank you for the detailed numbers, i'm getting way less than that. I think I'll explore some prop options and check out what hole they mounted the motor in. I know it is a different motor, but the tech specs led me to believe I would get the same or better.

Raise the motor so it's no more than 2 holes from as high as it can go at least if it's not already there. Then add a Permatrim to it. Trust me on this and you will be happy with the results. You run extremely heavy with the bait tank etc.. and it will help lift the stern. I predict that your planing speed will drop down to about 18 and fuel burn will improve, top speed loaded will increase by 2 and RPM's by 200. I'm surprised that Grouperjim hasn't seen this threat yet and also suggested this. He had a 2320 with a F250 with this set up and he could probably tell you exactly what hole to set the motor on. He now has a new 2800CC with twin 300's and Permatrim's on both. You should PM him. They work. JMO. Good luck getting her dialed in.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.JPG
    IMG_0593.JPG
    65.2 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_1458.JPG
    IMG_1458.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 390
Djam,

When you say top hole I assume they have the motor mounted all the way down, I would raise it at least one hole even maybe 2.

Made another trip this weekend, 4 guys, gear, 2 anchors, 1000' of line each, live well with 40 gallons of water, 2/3 tank of fuel.

Such a better hole shot with the OSI 4 blade, and cruise numbers between 4500-4800 rpm anywhere from 2.0-2.2 mpg.

Looks like it's mounted all the way down, definitely would raise her up one or two holes.

I would start with that and then consider a permatrim and/or 4 blade prop.

Back