Parker 2120 falling off chine - whats the cure?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boston2120

Reaction score
I have a Parker 2120 2003 with Yamaha F150 and factory standard trim tabs. It falls off chine when it has more >3 passengers at speed, which means it leans heavily to the left or right while on plane. I look over my shoulder and the corner of the stern rail is nearly in the water sometimes. I have to adjust the tabs every 10 seconds or so to keep the boat straight so I have to drive with one hand on the wheel and the other on the tabs. Its in Boston Haarbah so its choppy out there. What if anything can be done to resolve this? The local Parker dealer said they had no idea how to fix it. Its really frustrating, so any help is appreciated.

I have never heard of this. Check the angle of the zinc fin on bottom of your motor adjust it to correct your problem.
Hope this helps,
" Bean "

The stern rub rail is nearly in the water???? Dumb question but are you holding water in the bilge? How long have you owned the boat.

sound like weak arm on tab...2120 needs bigger tabs good luck

I also have several questions:
1. How long have you had this boat?....
2. Is this a new problem?..
3. Are you running with a full tank of fuel when this is happening?..
4. Is your engine trim all down when this is happening?..
5. What RPM's/speed are you running when this happens?
6. Do you know what prop you are running?
7. Do you have a lot of experience running a boat with tabs?
8. Do you have a bait tank on the deck?

Many questions here that will help us try to help you?

Thanks for offering to help! In reply:

1. How long have you had this boat?.... 3 years
2. Is this a new problem?.. No.
3. Are you running with a full tank of fuel when this is happening?..Its normally about 3/4 full.
4. Is your engine trim all down when this is happening?.. Yes
5. What RPM's/speed are you running when this happens? 3.5-4k
6. Do you know what prop you are running? No - how do I check?
7. Do you have a lot of experience running a boat with tabs? Yep. The tabs are about halfway down to max down on each side.
8. Do you have a bait tank on the deck? No, main deck is empty, just two truck size batteries in boxes at rear (1 in each).

The passengers have to stay seated in my boat otherwise the problem is amplified.

3 things here.
1. F150 is a little under powered for a 2120. I hate to put this out there but it's just a fact.
2. To compensate for this, don't run 3/4 of a rank of fuel unless you actually need to.
3. Try mounting a Permatrim. Google it and purchase the correct one for your motor.
4. I forgot to ask but what is your WOT RPM's with a medium load and just say 2 people on board?

These are heavy boats and a deep V. They need power to stay on plane. The Permatrim will help a bunch. That's the easiest fix. Your prop would be the other mechanical easy fix. Not running with more fuel then needed would be a big help. I typically only run with a half tank or less unless I'm going offshore to fish. Weight and not having old fuel in the tank are both good reasons for that.

Is it possible you are running a bit too far bow down? This would cause the boat to bow steer and sheer off one side or the other, have you tried trimming the power trim out a bit?

Tom
Bennett Marine

Back