Help prop 2320sl f225 2005

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gearshifter

Reaction score
Full tank of gas 150 gal / 65 gal bait tank / 2 guys with gear
Full tower
Prop RAV4 14 5/8 x15p
Rav 6k @30 mph with permatrim

My problem is when I back down below 4400k-4600k boat fall on it ass.
Anything above I get on plane 5k @ 24mph
Got bottom paint clean

Was wondering if I should change out my prop and raise the motor.
Right now it's the lowest hole. Should I raise it up ?

Ken @ propgods told me to put a 15x15. Was wondering if anyone has done this
I don't like running the engine at a high rpm

Thanks

Where is the bait tank located? You have easily over 2,200 lbs extra weight with full fuel, water and men/gear...make sure it is evenly distributed.

eyedoc":8y9nzw7s said:
Where is the bait tank located? You have easily over 2,200 lbs extra weight with full fuel, water and men/gear...make sure it is evenly distributed.

Bait tank is a little fwd. from middle of the deck

Sounds like you have 2 potential issues at play. The 225 is at the bottom of the HP needed for that hull so when fully loaded it takes a lot of rpm to get it moving and keep it moving. Since that is a fixed part of the equation lets talk about the engine height. Is your engine on a bracket or the transom? This is important because a bracket changes how the boat performs as well as creates a different lift angle. The first thing I would look at is where the cavitation plate rides when the boat is on plane and trimmed. It takes 2 people to check this. While someone is running the boat look where the lower unit is in relation to the surface of the water. The cavitation plate should be right at the surface or just slightly above. If it is below the waterline then you need to raise the engine up accordingly. As for correct propping is "Rav 6k" your WOT trimmed out number? There is a unique balance between diameter and pitch with both affecting performance. I agree you have a pretty heavily loaded boat so getting enough power to get it up and keep it up at lower rpm is the challenge. My initial thought would also be larger diameter but all really depends on what rpm you are at now. If you are not maxed out at WOT trimmed then going to a larger diameter with the same pitch isn't going to solve the problem. You may also want to explore a 4 blade prop which will give you more bite and lift. If it were me I would be focused on propping to ensure I had the power to keep the boat up in a following sea. I think this is where the guy at Prop Gods is coming from. Obviously speed is not the most important factor here but ensuring you are getting the best performance from the 225 as possible and having a boat that is safe in the worst conditions.

I have almost identical setup. 2003, F225, w/permatrim, bottom hole. I had pretty much the same issue with the smaller diameter black prop 15 pitch. Below is what I posted on another thread.

Bay was choppy, 1/2 tank of gas, 450 lbs worth of people and gear. I don't have a fuel panel, so I don't have the mpg results.

Yamaha black 15m.

WOT - 5500 RPM 33 mph (gps speed)
5000 - 23 mph
4000 - 17ish fighting to stay on plane

Ken@propgods lined me up with a Quicksilver Q3 Stainless 15x15 below are the results

WOT - 5500 RPM 36 mph
5000 - 33 mph
4000 - 22 mph
Note - Jumped on plane quick with no help from stock trim tabs

Engine currently sits as low as it can go, and has permatrim installed. I plan on raising the engine one hole at a time to find the sweet spot. Does anyone out there see anything wrong with the new numbers? Could I be doing better? Or does this prop look like it will work?

cutch9138":11wyers9 said:
I have almost identical setup. 2003, F225, w/permatrim, bottom hole. I had pretty much the same issue with the smaller diameter black prop 15 pitch. Below is what I posted on another thread.

Bay was choppy, 1/2 tank of gas, 450 lbs worth of people and gear. I don't have a fuel panel, so I don't have the mpg results.

Yamaha black 15m.

WOT - 5500 RPM 33 mph (gps speed)
5000 - 23 mph
4000 - 17ish fighting to stay on plane

Ken@propgods lined me up with a Quicksilver Q3 Stainless 15x15 below are the results

WOT - 5500 RPM 36 mph
5000 - 33 mph
4000 - 22 mph
Note - Jumped on plane quick with no help from stock trim tabs

Engine currently sits as low as it can go, and has permatrim installed. I plan on raising the engine one hole at a time to find the sweet spot. Does anyone out there see anything wrong with the new numbers? Could I be doing better? Or does this prop look like it will work?

I'm going to get the 15x15 prop and raise her up 3 hole I'm on a bracket. So I hope this will work

Took her out today. Raise her up #3 hole. Trimmed up
@ 5k @ 24 mph same prop 14 5/8 x15 4 blade. Sound like I have a lot of slip. I'm waiting for my other prop to come in. 6k @ about 30ish? Mph

2 people full gas tank 150 gal and 65 gal bait tank

Gearshifter":33wz3j7t said:
T I'm waiting for my other prop to come in. 6k @ about 30ish? Mph

2 people full gas tank 150 gal and 65 gal bait tank

Have you tried it out with the new prop (Q3?) in conjunction with the motor raised yet? I'm interested in seeing what your numbers are before the tab install.

When I picked up my 2008 2320 w/F250 stock SS prop, the motor was down all the way. Raised it 2 holes and added a SE Sport 300 fin and the boat does much better, haven't played with props yet since I noticed a lot of improvement from raising the motors.

Back