Fuel Line Primer Bulb Issues - New Tank on Parker 1800

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silversides

Reaction score
I am having issues with priming gas from my new tank to the Yamaha Fuel Filter.
I cannot prime any gas into the bulk after trying many times.
I just installed a new tank and lines recently. (See other posts on project page)
I then proceeded to fill the Yamaha Fuel Filter with gas and screwed it back on.
They I disconnected the bulb, and then sucked the gas through the line. Gas did come out!
I reconnect the bulb then tried to push gas to the Filter and fill the bulb but had no luck. The bulb is empty.
What can I do?

I just discovered that there is no anti-siphon valve at the tank pickup/fuel line connection.
Do I need one? Is this causing the problem?

Thanks,

Nick

Attachments

• Fuel Bulb and Filter.JPG
    Fuel Bulb and Filter.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 194
The arrow is pointed correctly.
After priming the Fuel Filter/Water Sep. with fuel, the motor did start fine.
I am concerned that the fuel may not flow properly.
Am I being paranoid?
Nick

Use only a OEM squeeze ball. Also..... They work best if they are in a vertical position. Not horizontal.

A little hard to tell in the pix......... It should be.......TANK------SQUEEZE BALL-------FILTER -------- then MOTOR.

I would install an anti-siphon valve. The purpose of the valve is to prevent your whole tank full of fuel from empting into your bilge in the event of a broken hose, loose clamp, etc. The anti-siphon valve is inside the brass fitting that screws into the tank that you connect the fuel line to. If yours does not have a little spring loaded ball in it I would swap it out for one that does. Hope this helps, Mike

antisiphion check balls are one of the #1 problems for breaking down. MBall sticks and motor starves for fuel.

Thanks for all the advice. Warthog, I do have the right setup as you described.
I was told by a Yamaha mechanic that the primer bulb will not get hard on the new 4 stroke fuel injected motors.
He was correct. I took the boat out this weekend and had no issues. As long as you prime the fuel filter, you are in good shape!

As long as you prime the fuel filter, you are in good shape!

Yes.... That is the nicety of the 4 strokes.... You will not squeeze that ball again till the Racor filter change.

4 strokes have a high pressure fuel pump to pressurize the fuel rail.

If you just turn the Key to ON....You can hear it run and then it will stop, with motor not running.

That's the way I start them. ON....wait a few seconds.....then hit Start.

Back