Long Haul Trailering? Tips?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jont2245

Reaction score
Hello all, very seriously considering stepping to a 2005 2830 Extended Cab with twin 225 Yamahas. Very excited, this is the right boat. Problem is that I'm in Jersey and the boat is in the north west coast of Florida. If the deal goes through I will trade my current boat, a 17ft Key West Center Console, in against the Parker. I have experience trailering boats, as I trailer the key west from the shore to my house, about 50 miles, most weekends. However this parker is much much larger. I did the math and my truck will be able to handle the load but I do not have much wiggle room. The boat has a 9'6" beam so I would need wide load permits for each state if I read correctly. I know some guys run without the permits but I don't think it is worth the risk. I just wanted to get your opinions on this and if you have any tips for this long trip. It's around 1,100 miles. As of now I will be driving solo but I believe I can convince a friend to join me. Again any tips you guys have will be much appreciated. Thank you very much!

What's your truck? There is no comparison between towing the two boats. If you don't have wiggle room, that means that you are figuring on a perfectly set up trailer, with excellent brakes.
I'm not your friend, but nobody could convince me to ride along towing a marginal load 11 miles, much less 1100.

It's a big boat. You will need 3/4 ton or more to legally tow it. 1/2ton is asking for trouble.

If it were me I'd have all the bearings replaced in Florida as well as all the brakes. Then I would inspect the tires and replace any that didn't look 100%. Then I would carry two brand new spare tires, a spare hub, and two inner and outer bearings along with grease and all the tools to do the job on the side of the road or at a gas station.

For a boat that large and a tow that long it isn't worth relying on AAA or any other roadside assistance you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

In addition to the usual transom straps, I like a big ratchet strap tied to the bow eye and looped under the frame of the trailer, and ratcheted up tight. That will keep the front of the boat from bouncing if you hit a large bump on the highway. Good working trailer brakes and at least one or even two spare tires for the trailer. Speaking of tires, many boats in Florida don't spend much time on their trailer, and the trailer just sits in the sun cooking and cracking the tires. A new set might be in order before making the trip. Also try and make a lot of routine stops and feel your trailer hubs. Better to catch one heating up before its become a bigger problem. I've known people to even bring along one of those laser heat sensor guns to monitor, but you can tell a lot by just touching the hubs. I don't suggest not getting the wide load permits for each state, but I travel the I-95 a lot and routinely see oversized boats making the trip through Georgia to and from Florida. I almost never see the required flagging FWIW. Not saying its a good idea or you wont be hassled, but seems to be a lot of people risking it down south. Good luck! I'm a little envious of your new boat!

I plan on having the trialer fully serviced by a reputable delear, (tires brakes bearings bunks etc). I have a newer 1/2 ton Chevy, rated to pull everything (weight of boat gear and trailer etc included). I realize my biggest challenge will not be going but will be slowing. It would have to be a long carefully thought out journey. It's a triple axle trailer, if I get all new rubber and the brakes are in good working condition, do you think it is unreasonable to attemp to trailer it with my truck? Thank you all for your responses!

When I was young and dumb about a decade ago I towed a 10k pound boat n trailer home about 50 miles with my 1/2ton. Never again. Is it strong enough to stop if someone cuts you off and decides to stop? Idiots on the road.... that's who you plan for.

I realize newer half tons are rated for more but why are they still 1/2 tons then?!

I currently tow a 2520 wide beam with a dodge cummins 2500 but I even went as far as converting the trailer to disc brakes with an electric over hydraulic actuator and swapped out for a solid 2 5/16" coupler. Surge brakes are a thing of the past.

Do I overdo it? Probably but when I was re rigging the trailer I asked myself, is it worth skimping if someone dies due to me being cheap or cutting corners?

Edit: your 17' vs a 28' is night n day. You will understand everything we are talking about after you hitch it up and take it around the block for a shakedown ride.

I love being able to stop at a moments notice with 9000lb behind me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have no idea what a 1/2 ton truck or a 3/4 ton truck is as nothing there applies to modern trucks. 45 years ago it did, certainly not now.

I'm not fluent in Chevrolet trucks but if you have a 1500 series a few years old it's likely rated to tow 9300-12000 lbs max. A 2830 is probably 9700+ lbs depending on what's in it. A triple axle steel trailer is probably 2000+ lbs. Towing 12,000 lbs with a 6000 lb truck? Guess which one is in control.

A weight distributing hitch would be a must, however many won't work with surge brakes if that's what's on the trailer.

If it were me, I'd write a check and have it delivered. You're going to have ~$700 in fuel, several nights in a hotel, food, oversize tow permits in 10 states, etc.

johnkn":1pcdbe43 said:
If it were me, I'd write a check and have it delivered. You're going to have ~$700 in fuel, several nights in a hotel, food, etc.
This :mrgreen:

DickW":2qpvzfp6 said:
johnkn":2qpvzfp6 said:
If it were me, I'd write a check and have it delivered. You're going to have ~$700 in fuel, several nights in a hotel, food, etc.
This :mrgreen:

Times 3! At least get some quotes. I bet the difference between dragging your Key West to Fla. to trade it in, and the Parker back, would be negligible.
Ask who here pulls a 10K triple axle load with a half ton Chevy. See if you can hook up to something similar locally, and give it a shot.
Do you plan to trailer the 2830 fifty miles to the coast "most week-ends"?

I would consider a tow company. I know Marc at Wefings in Apalachicola is a good guy to talk boats, and does lots of towing and knows other towing companies.

Take the boat and trailer and have it weighed to know. Without knowing the truck specs I would be very cautious.
Determine tongue weight, too. I would carry extra trailer tires. Stop every a couple hours and use digital thermometer and check tires and hubs temps. Check tire pressure when cold. Add a LED tow light across transom to help prevent being rear ended. Be well rested and make truck comfortable so the other driver can sleep. First person is tired then switch driver, If booth tired, pull off and rest. Drink plenty of fluids but watch the caffeine and eat regularly and lightly. Avoid sugar highs. Stay in premium hotels and thank me later about not being attacked by bedbugs and often, hotels has security but take in as most stuff into room as possible. Keep your keys by bed. If you hear anything near truck press the alarm button.

Drive 60 mph if possible and slow down when in traffic. Easy to type and hard to do but get home safe is the goal.

Plan your drive time

We drive in SW Florida from Indy frequently and leave in afternoon to early evening to avoid heavy traffic in Louisville, Nashville, Chattanooga, Atlanta and Ocala. We take turns driving and drive safely. We slow down or pull off if near aggressive drivers esp the drunks. The only major traffic is Tampa in the morning but it often just slows down and rarely all traffic is stopped and stand on I75 and not into the city. It is 1100 miles one way with 16 -18 hours depending on traffic and road construction

I would worry about truck tires, engine coolant, oil and trans overheating. I would turn off AC, too

We broke down on 75 in Macon in a bad part of town. It took 2 hours for a tow and I called a cab for my family to the nice part of town to a good hotel.

In the am I took a cab and bought a idler pulley bearing and serpentine belt and installed in parking lot

If carrying firearms, know each state laws. mostly do not like you carrying loaded weapons and want them in a locked box.

No drinking or booze in the truck too.

I don't think I would be game to do it. Doesn't seem to me like it would be worth the effort and time. I think it would be very easy to ship your boat down using a local shipper that would then turn around and bring your new boat back. I learned a long time ago that trying to save a buck sometimes has you spend three or four times more when something goes bad. Also make sure you have the new boat fully insured before you slap it on a trailer and haul it a thousand miles. Blaz

I like a big ratchet strap tied to the bow eye and looped under the frame of the trailer, and ratcheted up tight.

Be VERY careful about that. That main road going North & South on the east coast is not the best in places. Strapping a boat down like that makes the boat be a ridiged member to the trailer.

Problem is trailer's flex.....Especially alum trailers.....I've seen Bow eyes yanked out of the hull from long trips on that route and doing what you say.

Yep....I'd ship it.

Back