Thoughts on buying a high hours outboard...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan C

Reaction score
Hi guys, good to be back after a 5 year hiatus.
I sold my last 2520 back when I had my first kid. He's now almost 6 years old and I need another Parker.

I'm currently considering a 2005 2520 XLD with a F250. The catch is that the outboard has 1900 hours on it. According to the seller the boat was a work boat that ran 24/7 7 days a week. He reports the engine had a complete fluid change every 168 hours.

My question is, how hesitant should I be to buy this boat? What actions should I be taking to make sure I'm doing due diligence before getting into such a high-hour boat? Or should I just keep looking?

Thanks in advance. I missed you guys.

Consider the total cost of ownership over your potential ownership. You know the engine will need to be replaced at some point fairly close, do you want to be the person to absorb the costs to replace the power plant with all the additional uncertain costs at some point and then pass your hard earned $ to someone else? if the boat and price is super sweet initially, you have to make the decision. Best of luck.....

He reports the engine had a complete fluid change every 168 hours.

Strange #......What did he do.....Pick that number out of the sky? Supposed to be changed every 100hrs or once a year.

warthog5":nhsw8xpi said:
He reports the engine had a complete fluid change every 168 hours.

Strange #......What did he do.....Pick that number out of the sky? Supposed to be changed every 100hrs or once a year.

24 hours straight for 7 days = 168 hours.

Not really that many hours.... The boat is 13 years old (yes, the 2018 model year is upon us!). That's a little less than 150 hours per year, or 3 hours per week. Not full time workboat hours by any stretch. In a temperate climate the average pleasure boat use is 50-100 hours per year.

I would be more concerned about a 13 year old engine than 1900 hours....

Running a boat 24/7 would rack up 1900 hours in 79 days, not 13 years. Something doesn't add up in the stories. I would be pricing the hull and looking to repower, especially if I was planning on taking the wife and 6 year old.

My take...

Engine hours don't tell the whole story.
Were those hours 80% on a slow troll... 80% at close to WOT getting to the fishing grounds... or something in-between?
Are there maintenance records? Oil changes, software updates, diagnostic printout available?
Can you get an engine survey? (potential buyer typically pays for this)

Just because a motor has age and hours on it doesn't mean a whole lot so long as it is maintained.
Focus on maintenance and use, rather than hours.

JMHO

Back