Evinrude G2 300hp

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassTub

Reaction score
Looking at re powering my 25' CC DV Parker this winter/spring. I was sold on the Suzuki 300 however have been reading great things about the Evinrude G2.

Has anyone here had first hand experience with the G2.

Thanks for your help.

Chris

Though I do not own one I haven't heard many bad things about the g2s. i work at a marina where a lot of the members have switched over to them. Only problems Ive seen were issues that arose from rigging problems right when they're originally installed. Suzuki makes an extremely reliable outboard which I know from personal experience. The 250 we had on our last Bluefin 250 Profish ran like a top for over 800 hours with nothing but regular maintenance. Also a local SeaTow boat a buddy of mine operates cracked 4000 hours this season and is still running with no major engine failures yet. You should take a look at the new suzuki 350 they just unveiled, looks like a real game changer.

Resale will not be as good as the Suzuki and the Rude takes up more room. More Room, Why?

Because you are still putting a old school oil tank on the boat. Yuck!

Why will the Resale not be as good? Everyone wants a 4 Stroke.... Even you do, but now your 2nd guessing going to a 2 stroke.

Everyone thought they wanted a 4 stroke but as you see he is rethinking his decision. Evinrude is a competitor with the etec. Now with the capabilities of the G2 it's starting to gain more ground. If I was to repower definitely going with the G2 and leaving the silly four strokes in my wake. The boat will perform better with a evinrude hands down.

Thank you all for your input. Its a tough decision I really don't think I can go wrong in any direction from the research I have done. I need to weigh the initial cost along with cost of ownership. I don't plan on selling the boat since its perfect for what I do on the Chesapeake so I am not concerned with the resale.

Really just fishing around for any horror stories with the G2 and can't find any except for initial rigging. Other than that I have seen nothing but great things.

Chris

I guess you need to look at the all of specs.

I like it and Suzuki 4 stroke

The G2 has a lot innovations and improvements compared to 4 strokes

It tilts higher out of water. like 81 degrees
integrated hydraulic steering
Magneto - high output amps
no oil and filter
easy to check lower unit fluid

Plus it is good to see Yamaha have some competition
What is their latest innovation?
It is not price

I don't buy the no service claims

It is good idea to change plugs routinely

Not sure how to change the water pump and thermostats

Not sure how many anodes but these are service items, too

Post an update.

It is a lot of money on the line

Brent":16gbp300 said:
I guess you need to look at the all of specs.

I like it and Suzuki 4 stroke

The G2 has a lot innovations and improvements compared to 4 strokes

It tilts higher out of water. like 81 degrees
integrated hydraulic steering
Magneto - high output amps
no oil and filter
easy to check lower unit fluid

Plus it is good to see Yamaha have some competition
What is their latest innovation?
It is not price

I don't buy the no service claims

It is good idea to change plugs routinely

Not sure how to change the water pump and thermostats

Not sure how many anodes but these are service items, too

Post an update.

It is a lot of money on the line

Cost of total ownership appears to be less on the G2 and service only required at the 500 hour mark. Although I would still want to change lower end fluid and plugs at the beginning/end of every year out of precaution.

You are correct on a lot of money on the line. That is why I am starting my research now and not making a final decision until spring. Maybe I can catch a deal during a late winter boat show.

Brent":5viipnie said:
I don't care for all of the sharp angles.

To me, looks like foamboard mockups and Pontiac Aztec vehicle

Different color panels are neat

m2cw

I agree I am not a huge fan of the looks however am getting over them the more i look at it. I am not a fan of all the colors. Most likely go with all black or white panels.

Back