Octane requirement for Yamaha F200 2.8L

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Banjo

Reaction score
On my 2015 2120 sc with f200 2.8 4cyl I have always fueled with 89 octane ethanol free gas. On my last fill up I inadvertently put in 55 gallons of 87 octane ethanol free. I know that this motor has 10.5 to 1 compression and Yamaha specifies 89 octane requirement but I am hoping that this motor has modern electronics with knock sensors that will retard the ignition to prevent harming pre-ignition or detonation. I ran the boat for about 4 hours and did not notice any change in performance. I suspect that maybe the factory can only achieve the 200 hp with the 89 octane but less with the 87 with no harm done. I can save some significant money if I can safely use the 87 ethanol free. I am just wondering if I should add an octane + additive to the fuel to bring it up to spec. Any Yamaha tech engineers out there with advice?
BTW I have been running my Mopar Hemis for years with 87 octane when the factory recommends but does not require 89 octane. I have done extensive performance and mileage comparison tests between different octane fuels with absolutely no difference in results.

I have the same boat and same motor. I have used 87 octane a few time with ethanol and had no problems. I try to use 89 with ethanol most times. We cannot get non ethanol here in NJ at least where I am located anyways.

Back