Zincs or Aluminium Mixing on Tabs & Motor ?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bean

Reaction score
Went to Worst Marine and it seems they have changed from zinc to aluminium on the rudder zincs i put on my trim tabs. Question is what is Yamaha doing this year on engine what are they using.
I do not think a good idea to have different protections. What are your thoughts ?

Thanks,

" Bean "

bean":2peig6fa said:
Went to Worst Marine and it seems they have changed from zinc to aluminium on the rudder zincs i put on my trim tabs. Question is what is Yamaha doing this year on engine what are they using.
I do not think a good idea to have different protections. What are your thoughts ?

Thanks,

" Bean "
If Yamaha motor, I buy them from SIM

B2

Hi Bean,

I am still using (and don't plan on changing) 3" rudder zincs on my tabs and buying the zincs for the OB from SIM Yamaha.
Not sure why the change from zinc to alum, but if it worked before, it should work moving forward...

Thanks Tim,

Now I will check with sim and make sure they did not change from zinc.

" Bean "

There are three different materials utilized for anodes - magnesium, aluminum, and zinc...

Magnesium is for fresh water only. Zinc is for salt water only. Aluminum is effective in both. That may be why your store switched. Aluminum anodes are generally less expensive (without sacrificing effectiveness in saltwater environments), they are lighter in weight, and they last approximately 20% longer. You should not mix materials because it will set up a galvanic cell. Assuming saltwater, go with all Zn or all Al.

1801Steve":3j93ur0n said:
There are three different materials utilized for anodes - magnesium, aluminum, and zinc...

Magnesium is for fresh water only. Zinc is for salt water only. Aluminum is effective in both. That may be why your store switched. Aluminum anodes are generally less expensive (without sacrificing effectiveness in saltwater environments), they are lighter in weight, and they last approximately 20% longer. You should not mix materials because it will set up a galvanic cell. Assuming saltwater, go with all Zn or all Al.
If you have s bracket, anodes are available from Armstrong.

B2

Correct me if wrong but anodes should step down from the activity of the metal so if stainless it should be aluminum and iron or pot metal like the outboards zinc. If you put aluminum with and alloy on your tabs those won't last a year. But if you put aluminum instead of zinc they will last longer on the tabs but don't do that on your outboard. Aluminum is higher on the chart put zincs there.
daf9582995a2eac8d50c966bda302f10.jpg

kidfreediver":109e4i3m said:
Correct me if wrong but anodes should step down from the activity of the metal so if stainless it should be aluminum and iron or pot metal like the outboards zinc. If you put aluminum with and alloy on your tabs those won't last a year. But if you put aluminum instead of zinc they will last longer on the tabs but don't do that on your outboard. Aluminum is higher on the chart put zincs there.
daf9582995a2eac8d50c966bda302f10.jpg
Nice diagram and agree. Why not use what the vendor recommends?

B2

bean":149fqzvw said:

Thanks,

" Bean "
I just when through all this with my parker and Suzuki. Yes, west Marine now stocks only aluminum. Reason- EPA doesn’t wand zinc. Aluminum as I read will work better in salt water as it will wear out faster and that’s a good thing. Now here is wear it get tricky. Let’s talk about your motor. Yamaha. This year 2018 Yamaha switch to all aluminum on there motors. But not the zincs for the inside Eng block, they are the same zincs. I called Yamaha yesterday. You can call and check. You should be ok using the new aluminum made by martyr. As for me with my Suzuki they still using zinc and I now have to replace all my aluminum that I put on in December. Lots of boat owners look at there last year zincs and there is meat left half way. If fact they need to be replaced every year !!! If they still look good after a year. Replace them. As for aluminum, your lucky to get one season.

TimC2520":3lauday1 said:
Am I reading the diagram wrong? Doesn't that show aluminum will last longer than zinc?
I made a few calls about aluminum vs zincs. It all depends if it’s all aluminum vs aluminum with two other metals. I know this for a fact. Few years ago I bought the kit from West marine I didn’t know I was getting all aluminum for fresh water. That season I looked at my motor fin and there was just a little stub left. All aluminum will wear must faster in salt water. When I was reading yesterday on markr site that makes them, the new aluminum ones have two more metals in them. I will come back and post

TimC2520":d2h5r18n said:
Am I reading the diagram wrong? Doesn't that show aluminum will last longer than zinc?
alloy components of our Martyr Premium (Aluminum) anode contain no cadmium and only a fraction of the zinc used in making traditional zinc anode. The two remaining components, Aluminum, and Indium are non-toxic.

Back