Looking for outboard reccomendation for new 23SE

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve58p

Reaction score
I'm close to ordering a new 23SE and am undecided on whether to go with the 200, 225, or 250HP Yamaha. I know most people have told me: The 200 works just fine, but never have explained why. I plan to use the boat on the Chesapeake Bay for chasing stripers (light tackle jigging). I'm leaning towards the 225, but would like to hear some input. Especially from someone who is running the 250.

i have a 200 hpdi on my 23se (2006). goes great. my buddy has the f200 on his 23se (2014). same basic layout as my '06. goes well but not as much get up and go as my hpdi.

no doubt to me the f250 will snap that boat to attention quickly and mover her along quite well.

i'd say it comes down to your personal preference and how much get up and go is important to you vs fuel economy etc...the difference on the initial price tag (couple k ??) etc...

congrats on your 23se...LOVE my 23 se...:)

If available check out the tech specs on performance and fuel economy. When I purchased my 2320 I compared the values between the 250 and 300 trying to figure out if I could justify the extra 1600. The 300 was supposed to get .05mpg better, but 4mph faster at that same rpms. Coming back from catalina yesterday at WOT it was doing between 47.8 and 49.2. I love having the available power for the heavy fishing days with 4 friends, or better performance lighter.

djam":1s8ov3kn said:
If available check out the tech specs on performance and fuel economy. When I purchased my 2320 I compared the values between the 250 and 300 trying to figure out if I could justify the extra 1600. The 300 was supposed to get .05mpg better, but 4mph faster at that same rpms. Coming back from catalina yesterday at WOT it was doing between 47.8 and 49.2. I love having the available power for the heavy fishing days with 4 friends, or better performance lighter.
Good times!

B2

Are all available with the engine shortage? I'd see what's available without a long wait and go from there.

Hey, might be a little late to this, but I can share my experience...

Just purchased a 2014 23 SE with the 4.2L V6 225.

I have known I have wanted a 23 SE for a while. Fish out of Moriches and Shinnecock Bays on Long Island, NY, with a few trips to Montauk. Needed a boat skinny water capable for fishing the sandbars and flats, but substantial enough for the nearshore wreck, bass, shark, and bluefin fishing we do. 23 SE is the ultimate do all. If I had the budget, sure, 25 Regulator and Jones Bateau, but for one boat Parker is tough to beat.

ANYWAY, I have rode or driven the 23 SE with the 150, 200 I4, 200 3.3L, 200 HPDI, and the 4.2 225. 150 was not enough for how I run it, no question. 200 I4 is adequate, but would make me pick my days outside a little more carefully. 200 HPDI was a great running boat, but those are getting long in the tooth, and do not play well with ethanol. The 200 3.3L was a good, solid engine, but not too much more "oomph" than the I4. The new 4.2l 225 is a completely different beast. First time planing the boat out with digital throttle I nearly fell over! Power for days, and the boat flew! Comfortable cruise at 30 mph around 3500 RPM. Wonderful pairing and I was sold right away. Max horse on the 2014 was 225. I could only imagine the 250 would be even ballsier! good choice!

Back