Trim Tab size.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-Faithful

Reaction score
I am looking to get in on BOE's power buy if my wife leaves anything in my savings account after remodelling 2 bathroons and the kitchen. This leaves me wondering what size tabs you pakah people use...

24" span (width) by 9" chord (depth off the hull) is what you want on that boat. I have probably steered no less than 4 other owners of the 25' models to switch to these tabs ... I'd recommend that you consider Bennett trim tabs too!

Thanks for the feed back dale! I really respect your thoughts.. I was only considering Bennetts as my boat spends 9 mo's of the year wet slipped. Do you think the 24x9's will work/fit just as well on my narrower 8' 6" beam. My hull also has a shallower deadrise at something like 10 or 12 degrees at the transom. Here is a photo of the transom:

Attachments

• nb3.JPG
    nb3.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 1,008
I put 12X18 Lenco's on mt Formula 233. I can dig in the bow with full tabs. This should work for your boat as well. In my Parker 21SE, I have the Lenco 12X12 tabs and for this boat they are just fine but for your larger boat I'd go with a larger tab.

Given a choice ... you always want to go for tab width (span) across the hull as opposed to tab depth (chord) off the hull.

If you had 2 tab plates with the same surfac area, but one wider than the other, the wider one would be more efficient in dropping the bow as it would create less drag than a longer tab would by sticking way out off the hull.

I have confirmed this by running two 25' mod-V Parkers side-by-side, both wearing 225hp OBs, mine using Bennett 24" span x 9" tabs and the other boat 12x12" Lencos. Both boats had fuel computers installed. Our fuel efficiency was about the same @ cruising speeds, but when we hit seas and had to drop down our bows, my boat had 10-20% fuel efficiency than the other boat. That owner now plans an upgrade to larger tabs some day ...

DaleH":24hurtrn said:
24" span (width) by 9" chord (depth off the hull) is what you want on that boat. I have probably steered no less than 4 other owners of the 25' models to switch to these tabs ... I'd recommend that you consider Bennett trim tabs too!

I'm one of those 4 people, and since replacing my 12x12 BoatLevelers with 24x9 Bennetts, I've probably convinced another 4 owners to do the same.

Image-26EA5F6279DA11D8.jpg

Greg, I noticed that Tabman is a registered user of ClassicParker. You might PM him and ask if he knows of any other MC 2550's wearing his brand.

After making the switch, I agree with Dale. The big flippers make a big difference!

Good luck!

I like Bennetts better. However, I am being talked into and pushed towards Lencos based on installation on my boat. I know Parkers now come with Lencos from the factory. Is everyone who has them happy with them? How is their durability when kept in the water for a season?

I have the 12 x 12 Lenco's and my Parker is a 2002 and have not had any issues with them, they work fine except their to small.The boat is in the water 9 months a year. I'm going to install 9 x 24 on my 2510 this year.

Anthony

I switched to 24 x 9 bennetts on my 2320 last year. (from some advice from guys here !
HUGE improvement with the pounding ride !!!

I have the factory Lenco's on my 2320. They are square. I dont know maybe 12X12. I think they work great but then again I have no other comparison. With them deployed, which is most of the time, they keep the nose down, but depending on the load the port one needs to be adjusted up to level out the boat. I think that is due to both batteries being in the back left corner. They are self retracting which is awesome.

With a crew of four I need the nose down a little more.

With them up in glass water, I gain 4 to 5 MPH at WOT.

It makes sense that LONGER and SKINNIER would be the way to go. Its what they use on racing hulls.

Has anyone with a 2320, 2310, or 2300 changed over?

Can I just swap out the tabs themselves? Doesn't seem likely.

Idea's? Thanks!

John

Greg,

Dad went through 2 or 3 actuators for the Lencos on his Luhrs in like 2 years. However, the used set of Bennett's I paid $100 for and installed on the 204 were flawless. When I got them, there were a few parts that needed replacement (the Lexan pump cover and one or two other things) and Tabman replaced them under warranty. Neither one of us had any clue how old the stuff was... :)

Exhaust all your options before you choose anything other than Bennett!

My last boat (that I bought used) had a set of Bennett tabs. The hydraulic motor had no fluid in it and got damaged. The switches were also shorted out. Maybe the prior owner tried fixing it and damaged them? Anyway, I called Bennett and told them about the problem and they replaced both for no charge! They didn’t even charge me shipping. I just had to return the damaged parts after they shipped me new ones. The boat was a 2001 and this happened in 2005. They didn’t ask for any paperwork or receipts either. Excellent company. Dom

rangerdog":dxphhxc0 said:
I have the factory Lenco's on my 2320. They are square. I dont know maybe 12X12. I think they work great but then again I have no other comparison. With them deployed, which is most of the time, they keep the nose down, but depending on the load the port one needs to be adjusted up to level out the boat. I think that is due to both batteries being in the back left corner. They are self retracting which is awesome.

With a crew of four I need the nose down a little more.

With them up in glass water, I gain 4 to 5 MPH at WOT.

It makes sense that LONGER and SKINNIER would be the way to go. Its what they use on racing hulls.

Has anyone with a 2320, 2310, or 2300 changed over?

Can I just swap out the tabs themselves? Doesn't seem likely.

Idea's? Thanks!

John

John,
I had the factory Lencos and switched to the 24 x 9 bennetts
I removed the old plates, positioned the bennet plated as far towards the outside that I could, marked and drilled the new holes into the transom.
I cleaned and sealed up any unused old holes from the old plates.
More sealer for the new plates and finished mounting the plated.
I then reposioned the actuators and had to drill holes through the new plates where the actuators mount.
I'll try to take and post some pics to show them.
As for the ride,
They made a HUGE improvement in 2ft or more chop with the pounding ride I used to get,
And yes, the help get me up on plane with 6 or 8 guys on board very quickly.
And you will have NO problem getting the bow down.

has anyone had the 9x24 Lencos? How do Lencos hold up to a being wet slipped compared to bennetts? Are Trim indicators worth the extra?

Capt. Ronnie":1a5q6his said:
As for the ride,
They made a HUGE improvement in 2ft or more chop with the pounding ride I used to get.

For the past couple of years, there were a lot of posts on "some.other.website.com" that perpetrated the myth that Parker boats were "pounders".

I believe there were two reasons for that perception...

1.) Owners (or operators) didn't take the time to learn to drive these boats properly (especially the 14 degree MV's), and they tended to run too fast for conditions causing the pounding.

2.) The factory mounted tabs are just too damm small for the boats they are putting them on.

It has been the experience of the many dedicated owners here (and elsewhere) that 24x9 or 24x12 trim tabs are essential on the 25, and probably so on many of the other models in the line-up.

With trim tabs... bigger is better. :D

My 24 x 9 Benetts were just delivered. Can't wait to put them on and try them out. By the way I talked to Tabman and he told me the 24 x 12 were not needed.

There you go then!
But... you know that we insist on project photos. :D

Back