Twin 150's on 2510DVWA, Fuel economy, etc.?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nic

Reaction score
Hey guys, i bought that 2510 with the twin 250 four strokes. Might be looking to down size to twin 150's. Anyone with a 25 have any advice for me. I'm looking for the best fuel economy, but at the same time, i don't want to be under powered. I usually fish fully weighted down, full fuel tanks, 70gallon bait tank, Food beer, ice, and go out for a few days. Mostly offshore tuna/pelagics. I'm also adding a tower. Thanx for any advice. Nic.

personally, i run a 2530 with twin 150 2 strokes, but ride a 220XLD with twin 150 4s pretty frequently. my opinion is that that both boats are powered quite sufficiently with the 150s. that said- we dont do alot of live bait fishing (mostly trolling/dead bait chunking) so were not running with a full livewell. we also dont bring a whole lot of stuff with us, as we do mostly day trips and like to keep the load light. he gets about 1.5-2 nmpg on an average canyon run, which for us is between 60-80 nm one way, trolling, then 60-80 home. however, if youre used to the power of 250s and then downsize to 150s for the economy, i cant see how youre going to like the performance. i have never (with a few very limited, very excessive exceptions [cue Midnight Expresses]) said, "wow, this boat has too much power". i thinnk that you'll find that, when looking at the performace bulletins, that the downsize will give you a marginal fuel savings, with a significant decrease in power and an increase on strain on the engines. IMHO, keep the big dawgs :wink:

I would not switch, I think my boat would be better if it came with 200 stock, I have 150s, great boat, but when the time comes for new motors, I will put 200 s on my boat !

First off, I'd bet the difference in MPG would not be that great. I would talk to a prop guy to see if you are getting the most out of those engines.

The best part is that your engines will not have to work very hard to run your boat. Also with less RPM's they will last a lot longer.

You may want to pad the whole inside of your boat. The thing is a rocket ship! :D

TopShot25":20g4486b said:
First off, I'd bet the difference in MPG would not be that great. I would talk to a prop guy to see if you are getting the most out of those engines.

The best part is that your engines will not have to work very hard to run your boat. Also with less RPM's they will last a lot longer.

I agree. I mean, if I had my choice, I'd probably opt for 200s or 225s (the Yam 225 isn't allegedly meeting it's label HP), but I'd say 2 bigger motors running slower would close to efficient as 2 smaller ones running balls out or faster.

FWIW my bro runs twin Yam 150s on a heavy 23' GW walk-around and WHEN RIGGED for TOONA ... I sure wish we had bigger motors on the back.

I run a 2520 dv with F150s on a bracket, our long run off the coast of Texas for tuna is 110miles one way.... So when we make that run we are loaded HEAVY. 223gallons of fuel, ~500lbs of ice, food and drinks, ~400lbs of gear and 5-6guys depending on who goes. My estimate is we are somewhere between 10 and 11,000lbs.

With that said do I ever feel the boat is underpowered, NO
Would I order the boat again and upgrade the power, NO
If I had F-250s would I down size, NO.....I really don't see the benefit in switching motors. The fuel economy will not be much better if any at all with the 150's.

The only possible reason I could see down sizing the motors is to remove some of the weight off the azz, but even then you may be able to offset some of the weight with a good set of lifting 4-blade props.

As a matter of fact I feel the boat is a little azz heavy with the 150's so I just bought a set of PowerTech OFS4-blade props and if it would ever quit flooding here in houston I may get a chance to try them out.

Keep what ya got an enjoy the extra cruising speed the 250's will give you when the conditions allow.

Jason

Back