Gulf Stone Crabbing

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctown67

Reaction score
We've been catching a ton of Stone Crabs this season. Here is a couple of pics from this weekend. The 25 is a good platform to stack traps, clean, and rebait with plenty of work space.

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    42.4 KB · Views: 844
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 844
Actually, that is the real beauty of the Stone Crab. if the claw is taken off properly, the crab can be returned to the sea to regenerate the claw again. It is billed as a renewable resource. There is a lot of debate on the crabs actual chances as well as the survival rate of taking one claw versus both.

We are only recreational crabbers, which means we have 5 traps per fishing license. i have 5 and my wife has 5. That last trip we got 36 keeper claws and put our total over 100 since October. As a recreational crabber, we only keep one claw. That is not a law, just the request of Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission. Check out www.myfwc.com for more stuff.

To directly answer your question, i have never known anyone to eat anything other than the claw.
Hope that helps
Cheers.

They look tasty!
And kudos to you for protecting the resource. 8)

I have ten traps in the water at all times 5 mine and five for the wife. I use pigs feet for bait they last a whole seven days and sometimes still have a little meat on them when I check them. All my traps are in the bay area in Islamorada in 7-8 feet of water. Ive tried fish heads before but they only last 2-3 days. The problem with that is if the food runs out they start eating each other. I usually get 4-5 pounds every week. Its one big mess to clean up but well worth the work.

Attachments

• 407437_10200406875517314_1175233884_n (1).jpg
    407437_10200406875517314_1175233884_n (1).jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 788
  • 1393067_10202149526367985_500706995_n (2).jpg
    1393067_10202149526367985_500706995_n (2).jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 788
  • IMG_5173 (2).jpg
    IMG_5173 (2).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 788
  • IMG_7457 (2).jpg
    IMG_7457 (2).jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 788
  • IMG_7448 (2).jpg
    IMG_7448 (2).jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 788
The traps are plastic and buy the pigs feet by the 50 to 60 pound box so much cheaper. Dont go to the local public, winn dixie supermarket to get them, those are split feet that are meant for human consumption and cost a whole lot more.

Nice pics and delicious eats! I had 8 traps in Tampa Bay for about 6 months. I got to where I would check them on the jet ski as I could get there in back in about an hour...on lazy days or when fishing, I'd use the big rig. That was a fun experience, recreational crabbing -same as you

georgevazquez":29un3fsd said:
The traps are plastic and buy the pigs feet by the 50 to 60 pound box so much cheaper. Dont go to the local public, winn dixie supermarket to get them, those are split feet that are meant for human consumption and cost a whole lot more.
Exactly. Sometimes I will use whatever I can get my hands on. Crabs are pretty social creatures, I have even caught them with no bait at all. the trap is a safe place for them.

We are in 21' of water now. I try to keep well away from the commercial guys and away from any normal boat routes. We pulled a couple of my friends yesterday and went home with 16 more out of 3 traps. It's on right now.

the next move is to watch for triple tail to start hanging around the pots. They are very delicious and easy to catch. Fun on fly too. they are there own species of fish and taste better than grouper in my opinion.

the next move is to watch for triple tail to start hanging around the pots. They are very delicious and easy to catch. Fun on fly too. they are there own species of fish and taste better than grouper in my opinion.

We have picked up 3 triple tail on our last 5 trips running offshore to bottom fish. One was on a trap buoy. I always have my eyes peeled when we are running and take a peek if anything looks suspect. I agree they are better than grouper. I have tried them side by side with Gag and I'll take the triple tail any day.

Thanks for posting the great photos.

IF YOU GET BIT CLEAN IT REAL GOOD SO IT DOESNT GET INFECTED. COURTESY of one pissed off stone crab

Attachments

• IMG_4106.jpeg
    IMG_4106.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 620
Wow! Holy crap. I have only been nipped twice, never a direct hit like that. I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Stone crabs are very mean indeed, but I guess I would be too if someone was trying to rip my arms off.

The way i was taught was to hold the crab horizontally and snap the claw at a 90 degree angle down. You hold the claw and place your pinky at the joint closest to the body to help a clean break. the "pop" is pretty distinct and if done correctly, there is no meat sticking out of the break.
go get em.

We got 56 Claws yesterday, including this 13oz claw. The traps are full these days and it's a little unnerving reaching into them with big boys like this in there. However my stomach usually wins out and in we go.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.JPG
    IMG_0400.JPG
    105.2 KB · Views: 483
Dang. :shock:
With claws that size, I'd need to think twice before sticking my hand in there!

Back