Outrigger Discussion...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
I'm considering outriggers on my 2520. They would be used 2% of my annual fishing time for spring and fall striper season. What do I need? Would I be better off with plainers? Most of my fishing is alone or +1.

If you are only fishing with 1 or 2, I believe outriggers are easier to manage than planers, tho I do have friends who disagree.

I have a set of Lee Jr wishbones with a set of 2"x19' heavy duty poles that are double rigged.
They have served me well for about the last 5 years and counting.

I'll post some photos and you can tell me if there is something specific you are looking for.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 288
  • Photo Library - 458.jpg
    Photo Library - 458.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Photo Library - 462.jpg
    Photo Library - 462.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 26
If you decide to do the job yourself (or even if you have your dealer do it), I can give you a few tips to make the job go easier.
Take note from my photos that I fabricated starboard stand-offs for the base of the wishbones to bring the rigger pole closer to the top.
This tucks everything in closer to the cabin and leaves more room when going forward with the riggers stowed.

Also notice the stainless backing plates inside the cabin.
Those are the kind of things a dealer normally would not do.

A few more shots:

Attachments

• 01 a Megabyte.jpg
    01 a Megabyte.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 286
  • DSCN0045.jpg
    DSCN0045.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1381.jpg
    IMG_1381.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1382.jpg
    IMG_1382.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 286
  • IMG_1383.jpg
    IMG_1383.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 286
  • outriggers.jpg
    outriggers.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 286
The rigger poles were rigged by a buddy who used heavy mono rather than the nylon you find in the kit.
The shock cords were also fabricated. They work like a chinese finger puzzle we had as kids.
Finally, rather than run the mono through the eyes on the poles, they ride on small rigging blocks like you see on sailboat rigging.

Attachments

• Photo Library - 501.jpg
    Photo Library - 501.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 287
I will tell you from experience that both sides of the pilothouse are not identical.
These boats are hand laid fiberglass and while they look the same side-to-side to the naked eye, they are not.

I took careful measurements to place the starboard wishbone exactly where I wanted it, then transferred those measurements to the port side.
As a result, when standing in the cockpit and looking up, they are not perfectly parallel. :(
Remember, even if you are an eighth of an inch off at the base, that translates to a lot more 19 feet out.

If you do the job, mount the first wishbone and put the rigger pole in it.
Then with a friend (or 2), start one bolt on the opposite side and put the other pole in.
have your friends eyeball everything while you get a second bolt in and before you drill the rest of the holes.

Finally, if you think you are going to be able to fit your wishbones around the Parker graphics without putting a hole through part of it, get that thought out of your head now.
Best to just remove the graphics before you start the job.
Ask me how I know this... :roll:

Thanks for all the info Kevin, anyone have experience with Taco 170 Grand Slam top mount outriggers? thanks

I used Rupp radial top mounts and carbon fiber poles, works like a charm. Whatever you do invest in carbon fiber, it's worth the extra cost. I posted pictures on here of the install. Check out Bly (Gemlux) or Marsh Tacky poles.

i used a pair of gunnel mount 15' poles for over 10 years on my 25 sou'wester before i sold her.
Probably 250+ offshore trips. Everything from mahi to blue marlin.
Single line, nothing fancy. I used roller trollers but Blacks work fine too.
Mono line 400#. Corks from poppin cork lures.
Used glass rings at first but changed to rollers as they don't break.
Bungies to tie them to the boat.

Make sure you get the mono as close to the boat as possible.
That keeps you from having to lean out over the side to put out & in.

They were cheap ( about $500) and worked great till I just flat wore them out.
One day one of them just snapped when a fish hit. We laughed our ass off.
Got the fish.

Very easy to install. Cut a hole in the gunnel, make a backing plate (starboard), splooge some 5200.
Screw in the plate.
Go Fishing.

If you want cheap, quick and easy, that's how I'd do it.

It all depends on where you wish to spend your $$$ and time.

I have a pair of Taco gunnel mounted riggers that have served me well for the past couple years. Inexpensive and I like being able to get everything out of they way when not using them. I also keep my boat in a stackhouse and that makes it easy too. I figure I'll eventually will have to replace the riggers but that will not be too hard on the pocketbook.

Back