Possible 3 Fisherman Dead on Lower Potomac River.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
MadGar, are you OK?

I'm sad to report that it appears 3 fellow fisherman lost their lives Saturday night.

I saw a picture of the remaining man to be found, Roger Grissom, holding a monster striper while standing next to a Parker boat. Hard to tell what model, but it appears to be an open stern model with (at least 1) Yamaha 225. I assume the picture was not current to this week.

From a new article:

Two men were found dead and another rescued Sunday after a fishing boat capsized on the Potomac River the previous day amid choppy waters stirred by wind gusts that topped 45 miles an hour.

The high wind also toppled trees, flipped over traffic lights and caused widespread power outages in the Baltimore area. Occupants of at least two other boats had to be rescued over the weekend – one near Fort Howard in Edgemere and the other on the Chesapeake Bay.

Though it's not yet known what led the boat to capsize on the Potomac River near St. Mary's County on Saturday, Maryland Natural Resources Police spokeswoman Candy Thomson said the mild weather worsened quickly as the wind picked up, making the rescue efforts difficult. If a fourth fisherman Natural Resources Police are still searching for is found dead, it will be the deadliest single boating incident in Maryland this year, Thomson said. Police will resume their search Monday morning.

"Conditions were absolutely horrible," Thomson said. "Three-foot seas, gusts to 45 miles an hour. And of course it's pitch black.

One of the four men on the fishing boat texted his wife around 4 p.m. and said the group was returning to Combs Creek Marina in St. Mary's County. Instead, police and U.S. Coast Guard authorities picked up a mayday call from the 30-foot powerboat around 5 p.m., Thomson said. Natural Resources Police, Coast Guard, State Police and officials from the nearby Pax River Naval Air Station searched for the men until about 3 a.m. Sunday, then resumed the search at dawn. Shortly after, the survivor was spotted by a helicopter clinging to the hull of the boat. The bodies of the two victims were found later in the morning.

Police identified the survivor as Jason Downing, 39, of Mechanicsville, and said he was taken to MedStar St. Mary's Hospital in unknown condition. The two deceased victims were Gregory Moore, 55, of Mechanicsville, the owner of the boat; and William Edelen Jr., 48, of White Plains. Natural Resources Police and the U.S. Coast Guard were still searching waters south of Breton Bay on Sunday for the boat's fourth occupant, who was identified as Roger Grissom, 52, of Hughesville.

The men were participating in the 24th annual Chesapeake Bay Fall Classic fishing tournament when their boat capsized. On Sunday, tournament organizers called off the last day of the event due to weather conditions. The organizers could not be reached for comment.

God bless them and their families.

Yes, I am fine but thanks for reaching out.

What a sad story. The Potomac River is unique in how quick the waves turn up. People hear three foot waves and think that is nothing, but in the Potomac I have seen 3 foot waves flip a couple of boats. Something about that body of water that makes it very dangerous when the wind picks up. Sadly, it seems like 2 or 3 times a season you hear a sad story like that in that same exact location or vicinity.

Please be careful out there guys, you are not always the one in control, unfortunately.

Prayers out to those families, sad very sad.

This is really haunting me.. God bless them and their families. 4 friends go fishing. 3 die. Appears the lone survivor held on to the capsized boat for more than 12 hours in 45 mph gusts and cold temps, that in and of itself is a miracle, .. 90% of my striper fishing is alone... this is a major reset... I question the "3 foot waves" report . I've fished here for 45 years and the Potomac gets really snotty with stacking, confused waves. A wave is measured from the crest to the trough. ZERO way those were "3 foot waves" in those conditions.

If you recall Saturday afternoon it was 71 degrees and calm around 2pm or so. In about a 15 minute period (barely enough time to retrieve all your lines when trolling for rockfish) the wind picked up to 45-50 mph and the temp dropped to mid 40s. That is a recipe for disaster.

Regardless of the report and the wave heights, most of those fisherman were known to be experienced in our community and the Potomac River. That just goes to show you that mother nature is in control. I have no words of wisdom on how they may have avoided this because they were probably better fisherman than I am. It's just sad and I hope opens all of our eyes to what can happen. God bless their families

By the way, you should consider finding a fishing buddy to go out with you. Fishing that body of water alone (or any body of water) can catch up with you. Please consider taking someone out with you this fall season.

Found this photo in a FB post on the subject.
This is the "Reel Intimidator".

Attachments

• Reel Intimidator.jpg
    Reel Intimidator.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 613
The report stated that the hull broke apart under the continuous wave pounding.

Hey John,
Where did you see that report? I know there are many speculations out there but I haven't seen that report. I know they haven't located the boat yet and one individual is still missing as of 1hr ago. There are many volunteers out searching the Potomac today. It is truly sad. Apparently the distance between where they found the survivor and the 2 individuals that did not survive was several miles apart in the mid to lower Potomac. I truly hope they locate him for his family.

I searched Facebook for Reel Intimidator. Not so much of an official report but a comment by the Chamber of Commerce.

I'm confused by the reports of not finding the boat. They pulled the survivor off the capsized boat, perhaps it then drifted away and sank. .

The Colonial Beach Chamber of Commerce sends condolences and prayers to the family and friends of the crew of "Reel Intimidator". Captain Roger Grissom, 52,from Hughesville Maryland is still missing. Crew members Gregory Moore, 55, from Mechanicsville Maryland and William "Keech" Edelen, Jr., 48, from White Plains Maryland are deceased. Jason Downing, 39, of Mechanisville Maryland survived after the vessel's hull broke up under constant pounding by 6 ft waves. "Reel Intimidator" was attempting to return to the Potomac when sudden weather change brought rough seas to the Bay.
"Reel Intimidator" won the Colonial Beach Fall Rockfish Tournament the weekend prior to the accident. Chamber President, Carey Geddes, announced that he will retire #44 in honor of the Captain and Crew of the "Reel Intimidator

Thanks, I had not seen that. I know there is a Facebook page sort of organizing the search today and they also mentioned that the boat was still missing also. Sadly, today's search was not successful as the captain is still missing. I will let you know more but you can also go to the Potomac River Anglers Club site and follow. The address is below. If you don't already have an account you should create one but I thought I had seen you there before, not sure.
Take care

http://prac.proboards.com/

DNR reports that they have found the boat washed up on the shore of the mouth of the Rappahannock river, 52 miles south of where the accident happened. Search continues for the remaining fisherman. Sad

Devastating loss. I didnt know the men personally but a couple of my closer fishing friends knew the men well. These men were avid fishermen. I am told the cap separated from the hull allowing the hull to fill quickly and capsize. Another one of their seasoned boating friends reported the seas a 6'.

I have to say after growing up coastal fishing off of NJ and having fished the Chesapeake Bay since the in mid 90's, that the Potomac River/Point Lookout Area can produce the worst seas I have ever seen. I unfortunately have been out with the winds against the tide where I not only have had sea water rolling off the windshield but running over the hard top of my Judge 27 Chesapeake and into the cockpit. The area can create water like an inlet for miles and miles.

May their family and friends find peace.

Here is a photo someone posted of Smith Point years ago that I saved off of a local fishing forum.. It shows how the seas can get in the area with currents against gale winds.
9059-albums2575-picture44444.jpg

The Smith Point area is well known to be some of the most dangerous water in the Chesapeake.
It is one of the reasons why the Smith Point Sea Rescue organization exists.
I had an opportunity years ago to see Rescue 1 in action, and I can say these guys know their stuff.

http://www.smithpointsearescue.com

That's terrible news... Especially at this time of year. Does anyone know what make of boat that is? If that boat came apart as they said, it would make for a worthy lawsuit for those families. God Bless them.

It was a 2007 Sportcraft 307 Express. Given the gale force winds and gale warning issued by the NOAA and USCG on VHF16 I doubt the boat maker can be held accountable. Unfortunately a lot of boat manufacturers only screw the cap to the hulls.

I checked with my boat manufacturer and am happy to know that the screws only hold the cap, liner and hull together so they can use chemical bonding and glass the front half of the boat together.

latest I heard on this tragedy and being reported by several Captains out of Smith Point is that the lone survivor said that they hit a gill net and immediately took water over the helm on both port and starboard and the boat broke up almost immediately . You guys please be careful !

It was reported that the body of Captain Roger Grissom was finally found more than 60 miles away from the original incident by a land owner on the Eastern Shore. The family will hopefully finally be able to bring closure to this tragedy after almost 3 months.

UPDATE 2/12/2017 @ 11:55 a.m.: The Body of Roger Grissom Sr., 52 of Hughesville, was recovered Saturday evening, February 11, 2017. Grissom was killed in a boating accident in November of last year, on Potomac River.

His body was found near Hacksneck, Virginia, 63 mi from scene.

His body has been transported to Norfolk, Virginia, where an autopsy will be performed.

A homeowner in Hacksneck in Accomack County discovered the body of Roger Grissom, 52, in a marshy area Saturday night, Thomson said. Although the body had been in the water for nearly three months, Grissom was easily identified because he still had his wallet in his pocket with his driver's license.

The Hughesville man also was wearing the clothes he had on the day he went missing, along with a life jacket.

Back