Trolling Motor OR "Power Pole" anchor?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeaLand

Reaction score
I have a 23SE and thinking of getting either a trolling motor or a "Power Pole"; fishing backwaters and hate anchoring with a traditional bow anchor (aka can't anchor with a crap).

Likes and Dislikes:

Trolling motor seems to be more versatile with new technology like "i-Pilot" spotting GPS to hold a position. Can be used for both back waters and near shore fishing a bait ball. BUT!!! With a 23' hull, I would need 112lbs thrust (36V = 3 batteries = extra weight = more long term cost), 72" shaft to reach the water from the bow, AND it's God awful ugly in my opinion on a boat. But wait there's more... will it get in the way at the front of the boat when cruising around with the family?

Shallow transom anchor like a Power Pole seems more straight forward, less long term issues, easy to use BUT would either a 10' or 12' model get in the way when trolling with 4 or more lines out. Curious in a strong current/drift, will the stern and boat "pivot" around the pole itself? Yeah yeah, get two right? LOL...

Any thoughts of either?

For those who say get both... My unicorn flew into a flying pig on its way to get ice from hell - not going to happen...

I would DEFINETLY get a Minn Kota ipilot with GPS anchoring. It will transform your life. Sure, get a power pole too, OR just get a "stick it pin" and it'll do the same thing for $80...but, you NEED the trolling motor. Trust me, I wouldn't lie to you or spend your money frivolously.... :lol:

PowerPole or Talon Anchor system and trolling do not mesh well. I cannot think of any situation where that works well. You have crawled all over the reason people have 2 boats. I had a 23SE at one time and considered the trolling motor option but for the reasons you have identified I never did added it. You mentioned problems anchoring. What kind of problems and where are you trying to anchor?

I saw a video clip where someone used their power pole as a "Jimmy Rigged" downrigger where they attached a clip on the extension pole when deployed, ultimately making the line go down 8-10' lower then just trolling off the boat. With that in mind, curious to hear of some pole just deploy their pole where the shaft is no longer upright - getting it out of the way BUT I can see the possible obstruction of having it in the water if reeling in a fish.

As for anchoring problems, I just can't get the damn boat to hold the bottom!!! I am using a danforth type anchor with 6' of 3/8 chain. I typically anchor (or try to) in less than 10' of water - usually about 4-8 feet of water, my scope is 4:1-5:1 but it keeps slipping. I am thinking I have a piece of junk for an anchor and thinking of getting a Hurricane brand anchor but storing it will be an issue since it will not fit in the anchor locker.

Should I get more chain and/or a better anchor. If so, what type/brand to fit in the locker? If I pony up for a better anchor, do I need more chain? It's usually just me and my young son so cannot lift/handle the weight of the anchor or safely navigate the boat when I am anchoring.

windknotnc":ccm809b5 said:
PowerPole or Talon Anchor system and trolling do not mesh well. I cannot think of any situation where that works well. You have crawled all over the reason people have 2 boats. I had a 23SE at one time and considered the trolling motor option but for the reasons you have identified I never did added it. You mentioned problems anchoring. What kind of problems and where are you trying to anchor?

You'd be fine with just more chain. I bet we're running the same anchor if it's the one that fits to the brackets in the anchor locker. I've got 15' rubber coated chain and try to get an aspect between 5 and 7:1. That extra chain really keeps it pointed down and hooked in the mud. I've only had a problem dragging once in a real strong ebb tide, and I just let out more rode and was good at that point..

I anchor a lot in my 23DVCC. I have a Fortress that fits into the locker but I have about 15' of chain and use 3/8" twisted nylon rode. I use a 40# large Danforth for bottom fishing in 100'+ deep water. You definitely need more chain to hold a 23SE. With 15-18' of 3/8" galvanized chain you should be able to hold your boat with no problem. With only 6' of chain you are basically pulling the anchor out of the sand. The chain holds it down and flat to the bottom so the anchor can do what it is supposed to.

I had a trolling moter put on my Carolina Skiff DLV when I bought it. A year or so later I added a Power Pole. Not once did I ever again use the trolling motor. My fishing consist mostly of casting up in the creeks for flounder, trout, & drum and trolling off the beach and inlets for blues and Spanish. I didn't find the Power Pole a bother and in the way trolling. The Power Pole is much easier and quicker than an anchor.

I have a Danforth anchor and never have issues with holding. If your not holding then I would be looking at the size anchor that you have. Make sure it's the correct size and slightly over sized is always better than the bare minimum. More chain is never a bad thing IMO but I think I'm only running with about 6' myself at this time(what came with the boat). Adding more length is on my list eventually but as I mentioned, I've never an issue with holding at the NC coast. Check that anchor size. Can't help you with the power pole/trolling motor. Sounds like a tough dilemma.

Rhodan 24V would be all you need on that boat. My buddy is installing the Rhodan 36V on his 37 Freeman. They just work. You won't pull anchor again and you'll never use your power pole if you pay for one in addition to the Rhodan Trolling motor.

I know this thread was pulled up from a few years ago... but to throw some good info for those reading now...

On anchor chain, the rule of thumb is match the length of your boat in chain. Some guys get away with shorter chain but it all depends on the anchor, boat and conditions. 6ft of chain on a 23ft bait is likely your problem. You can get away with a smaller anchor if you have longer chain even... but I would def add some chain as my first step to fixing anchoring problems.

Not a lot your can do to anchor wrong if you have the right anchor, rode and chain.

Back