Radar

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RumRunner

Reaction score
I would like some thoughts on adding radar to my 2320. Never had it, but one day in November I was outside the Savannah River channel and decided to go further north and west about 20 miles out. Then some fog rolled in and I had lost some visibility when out in front of me rose about a six story cargo vessel anchored, queuing up for his turn to enter the river. Made me think twice about running with no radar. How are you guys using it, how often, and what brand, and an approximate all in cost? I've got a Garmin Chartplotter, and I'm pretty sure that it would be compatible with another Garmin.

Been there!! scary situation without the right equipment. I have one suggestion to keep in mind while you are shopping for radar. If you will be adding radar to a multi function unit it is great to be able to overlay the radar on to your chart. to do that some or maybe most units, (not sure about Garmin) require an additional heading sensor to do so. In my opinion it is worth it. Otherwise you would have to do a split screen with the chart and radar separate. Im running a Lowrance unit. The heading sensor was an addition $199.00. Now's the time!!! you can pick up some leftover units at a great price with the new 2016 stuff coming out. The HDS9 GEN2 that I bought two years ago for $1,600 is on sale right now at BOE marine for under $1000.00. I just got their e-mail earlier this week, you should take a look at their site. Hope this has been helpful Mike

RumRunner":2w1ueb7p said:
I would like some thoughts on adding radar to my 2320. Never had it, but one day in November I was outside the Savannah River channel and decided to go further north and west about 20 miles out. Then some fog rolled in and I had lost some visibility when out in front of me rose about a six story cargo vessel anchored, queuing up for his turn to enter the river. Made me think twice about running with no radar. How are you guys using it, how often, and what brand, and an approximate all in cost? I've got a Garmin Chartplotter, and I'm pretty sure that it would be compatible with another Garmin.

Hi RumRunner, I purchased my new 2015 2120 last May from the HH Boathouse. I had Dave install a Garmin 18HD Radar and the total cost including installation was $1500 although it was done during the installation of the Garmin electronics package that was included in the purchase price of the boat. It has saved my butt or made it more comfortable on several occasions while encountering unforecasted fog or thunderstorms. It overlays nicely on my Garmin 741xs Chartplotter and it is also fun to visually track nearby thunderstorms on the chartplotter. I have always admired your boat on the rack during my many visits to the Boatyard. I keep my boat at my house in Habersham which is located north of the Broad River Bridge in Beaufort. Since we both obviously boat in the same area I am sure that you would get great benefit from radar on your boat. I think that we are planning to boat over to the Boathouse for lunch on Sunday Jan. 31 and I would be happy to demo the unit if you are around there then.

Hey Banjo...nice of you to weigh in and make the offer. I was beginning to think there weren't any Parker members in our area! Yeah, I've done a lot with Dave, and in fact just asked him about an 18 D. I split my time between the boathouse and a slip I have in Wexford Harbor. May have to get a little creative about the placement of the radar, since I put the cobia tower in. Anyway, I'm planning to be back in HH at the end of this week, so that may work out nicely. You're north of the 170 bridge? That's where my buddy Collins and I caught that big female cobia last year, and donated her to the Waddell Maritime Center so that they could use her for breeding the Port Royal Strain Cobias. Maybe you saw the article in the Island Packet last May. So I think that Jan 31 should work out well. I'll look for you and/or your boat. You can spot the RumRunner easily. Thanks very much!

I ran into unexpected dense fog situation often let alone driving during the night or early mornings. I will never leave dock unless my Garmin radar is working. Currently, I have a GMR 18HD running on a 7412xsv (previously on a Garmin 5212). I've used a Raymarine 418D before. They're both very comparable although I like the Garmin for its simple user friendly interface. The GMR18HD is about $1K online and it's straightforward for a 2 hour DIY job. Your Garmin 4208 should be plug&play with 18HD, 24HD, and the new xHD series. I find that the 18HD with a 36nm range and 1/8nm ring resolution is more than adequate for all my needs, especially for collision avoidance. I also have a separate AIS unit but that's only useful when other vessels have their AIS, which is true for commercial or vessels bigger 65ft. I don't normally rely on that.

It's probably a $1500 investment but it's one that I would put on top of the list when it comes to safety. Good luck.

Here are some photos showing my unit installed with a radome bracket, which is highly recommended.

Attachments

• IMG_4311_small.jpg
    IMG_4311_small.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_4293_small.jpg
    IMG_4293_small.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 476
What do folks think about needing a "wedge" on the radar mount??? I have a Furuno radar on the roof of my 2120, and since I ride a bit bow high, at speed we can't see much in front of us with the radar, but sides and back are fine... come off a plane and the world comes into view...

Thanks! Tom

Then You need a wedge. :)

You want the radar dome level when your up and running for Max visibility.

Thanks for the info, Warthog!!!

Kind of spawns two more questions in my mind...

1) do most folks with 2120's find they run bow high, or do I need to tinker more with things???

2) if the wedge keeps it level on plane, when I come off plane or stop, will I lose visibility fore (front of radar pointing down in front) or aft (back of radar pointing up)??

fish_kid":s62otfny said:

1) do most folks with 2120's find they run bow high, or do I need to tinker more with things???

2) if the wedge keeps it level on plane, when I come off plane or stop, will I lose visibility fore (front of radar pointing down in front) or aft (back of radar pointing up)??

I have a 2015 2120 that used to run a bit bow high at cruise on plane until I installed a Permatrim on my motor. That got rid of my porpoising and bow high cruise resulting in a better ride, better visibility, and better speed and mpg numbers. Since my Garmin 18HD is mounted on my roof without bracket or wedge I get good radar coverage while on or off plane. Remember that in most low visibility situations you are going to be running slow and off plane so you do not want to compromise your forward radar coverage at that time.

I am going to mount my 18xhd Friday. I do have a mount that a buddy didn't end up using. I was thinking of just mounting to the roof. Do you have any pics of your install?

Banjo":3h8vemqq said:
fish_kid":3h8vemqq said:

I have a 2015 2120 that used to run a bit bow high at cruise on plane until I installed a Permatrim on my motor. That got rid of my porpoising and bow high cruise resulting in a better ride, better visibility, and better speed and mpg numbers. Since my Garmin 18HD is mounted on my roof without bracket or wedge I get good radar coverage while on or off plane. Remember that in most low visibility situations you are going to be running slow and off plane so you do not want to compromise your forward radar coverage at that time.

I'm working on one right now. it's Simrad stuff. [31 Jupiter]

On the mounts. You need to look at the install book and figure out what you need. This will involve measuring the top and the way the radar beam is cast.

I Highly recommend Battle Wagon mounts. They are Polished Stainless and will not be flaking powdercoat in 2 yrs.

The guy I'm working for snagged a 12in. Battle Wagon Rear Leaning mount on Ebay for $150 inc shipping.

I see mounts angled towards the bow and stern, is there a preference for a 2320? I'm going to be mounting a Simrad 4G. I couldn't find reason to choose one over the other.

It's personal preference.

That is unless you have a Crow's Nest..... Then forward to gige you more room.

jpg1969":120ea5zm said:
If space is not an issue, my installer recommended having it angled towards the stern on the Parker to match the rake of the front windows.

He and I think the same....... Keeps the lines all flowing the same direction.....This makes the boat look like it's going faster, when it's sitting still.

Back