Lost on Navionics.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMarkCA

Reaction score
Looking for some advice on Navionics. I have a Raymarine E7 bought in 2012. If has a two card slot, can hold two 32GB Mico cards.

At this point I have no cards, I’m looking to go with a Navionics card, but the wide array of Navionics programs and Apps has me confused as to what I need.

I also have an iPad, and I see I can use a Navionics free App to buy maps, then transfer them to the E7 via Bluetooth? But there is also a $43 app on Itunes also, what is the difference?

I don’t want to get tied into a monthly payment, would not mind purchasing an upgrade every few years. Do I need to buy the USA/Canada basemap to start, or use the app and designate a custom area I want to purchase?

I basically want the coast of CA, from Shelter Cove down to the Channel Islands, how would you go about approaching that Navionics goal starting from scratch?

Thank you.

I wish I could remember the charges but they should be listed when you open the APP. The maps are what they call "in app purchases" so you will know exactly what you are buying. Just download the app as its free and you will see how it works. You can always delete the app if you decide against it. There is an annual or biannual charge to renew but I can't remember how much it is, maybe $45?. I can tell you that I use my Navtronics on my iPad as my primary Chart Plotter as it kicks the crap out of my Lowrance HD5. I just keep that in full screen fish/sonar.

shawnee83":36pn3l0l said:
I wish I could remember the charges but they should be listed when you open the APP. The maps are what they call "in app purchases" so you will know exactly what you are buying. Just download the app as its free and you will see how it works. You can always delete the app if you decide against it. There is an annual or biannual charge to renew but I can't remember how much it is, maybe $45?. I can tell you that I use my Navtronics on my iPad as my primary Chart Plotter as it kicks the crap out of my Lowrance HD5. I just keep that in full screen fish/sonar.

OK, I will call Navionics, but the app you buy for your iPad is separate from the the chip you buy for your plotter unit? You pay for both separately?

The app on your iPad and the plotter use completely different software that exchange information such as waypoints and routes?

I have a Lowrance HDS10 which uses a Navionics SD card. I had to replace it when I had the boat shipped to Maine. The card that was in it was only for S FL. The replacement card (bought on Amazon) held charts for all of the US. I plugged it into my laptop, logged on to the Navionics site and selected the charts (by area) that I wanted and they were activated.

I could have installed as many as I wanted but I was concerned that I would tax the memory of the HDS10 so I limited it to the charts I needed for Maine. If I ever go elsewhere, I will repeat the process for the new area. Navionics allow you to update for one year, as often as daily if you wish! Since we will be hauling out for the season in two or three weeks I won't be updating any more this year. My plan is to update in the beginning of the summer of '17. The rocks don't move around here so I should be OK for two years before I have to re-up. If my memory is correct it was only about $50 to re-up if you had the chip.

rwp48":17mih294 said:
I have a Lowrance HDS10 which uses a Navionics SD card. I had to replace it when I had the boat shipped to Maine. The card that was in it was only for S FL. The replacement card (bought on Amazon) held charts for all of the US. I plugged it into my laptop, logged on to the Navionics site and selected the charts (by area) that I wanted and they were activated.

I could have installed as many as I wanted but I was concerned that I would tax the memory of the HDS10 so I limited it to the charts I needed for Maine. If I ever go elsewhere, I will repeat the process for the new area. Navionics allow you to update for one year, as often as daily if you wish! Since we will be hauling out for the season in two or three weeks I won't be updating any more this year. My plan is to update in the beginning of the summer of '17. The rocks don't move around here so I should be OK for two years before I have to re-up. If my memory is correct it was only about $50 to re-up if you had the chip.

OK, so you used the app to activate maps that were on the chip...then what is the difference between the free app and the $54 app, both sold in the Apple App store?

Hmmm.

I'm not talking about the iPad app. I only use it on my chart plotter. Don't know anything about how you load up their iPad app, but my sense is that they are two separate things with two "opportunities" to send Navionics $$!

I tried the iPad app for both Garmin and Navionics a long time ago and decided that I liked the Garmin better. But that's just me.

I do not know if this is going to be any help but I have the Navionics app (sonar) for the IPhone and it cost a total of $9.99 so I just sit on my couch and look at the ocean floor. I live in San Diego and mainly use to for bottom fishing. :D :roll:

So I use the free app sometimes but I do have the Es98 from raymarine and use the navionics chip. Everytime I come off the water I download my data and also back it up. The chip is great and new chart live feature is great for mapping new areas. I fish the channel islands and off vandeberg air force base and rely on the chip heavily. Hit me up anytime you need help 8055885363 Vince.

Back