Bait well circuit beaker keeps being thrown

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

POGE

Reaction score
I have a bait well pump and it went bad. I changed it out with the same brand and unit ( Rule 1100 with the changeable pump motor) I have done this a few times and it always is fine. This time though, the pump runs a few minutes them the breaker on switch for the bait well pops' I reset and the motor will runs for a few minutes and then the breaker pops again. I checked the wires aren't crossed. The only things different I did this replacement was to put dielectric grease on the pump wiring. Would that make the circuit throw ?

You need a Amprobe.

41Mwd4TLOYL._AC_US240_QL65_.jpg

Set to DC ....Clamp around 1 wire Pos or Neg....NOT Both. Turn on pump and check the draw.

If it is higher than the pump spac's ? Remove from circuit....hook up short leads to battery and pump removed from boat check with amprobe again.

This will tell you if the motor is pulling to many Amps.

"Just cause it's New, doesn't mean it's worth a Damn!

What do you do when the motor is drawing to amps?

PS:The motor drew some landscapes and portraits as well. They are for sale in a local gallery.

Check to make sure the impeller spins freely. If not take it back for a replacement. Check to make sure the circuit breaker is at least 25% greater than the motor amperage, the amperage should be on the motors nameplate. If that's all good The breaker could possibly be going bad. You could try swapping the breaker out to see if it holds if you have another breaker of the same amperage

thanks, I will make sure to check out those items too.

Back