Remove my chartplotter?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwp48

Reaction score
Well, the time has come to haul the boat for the winter. I'm a Florida boy and don't know much about winter. I looked at the manual for my Lowrance HDS10 and it says the lowest operating temp is 5* F. Well I'm guessing that here in Maine that will easily be broken so I called Lowrance tech support. After 20 minutes on hold I was advised to remove it from the boat. Since I just spent considerable time flush mounting the darn thing I'm really not looking forward to pulling it out. My wife says I'm being silly since all the lobster men have chart plotters aboard in the winter. But I'm thinking that they aren't out on the water in below zero temps.
What says the group...pull it out or leave it in??

I have left mine in over the winter for the last three years here in AK. Although in Juneau we only get a few days a year below 5 degrees F. I have not had a problem so far. I even operate it all year, deer hunting till December, crabbing and diving Jan-may.

moose8420":31njvr9l said:
I have left mine in over the winter for the last three years here in AK. Although in Juneau we only get a few days a year below 5 degrees F. I have not had a problem so far. I even operate it all year, deer hunting till December, crabbing and diving Jan-may.

Diving?!
Alaska?!
Jan-May?!

Are you nuts!? I lived in FL for 60 years and am convinced that water freezes at 80 degrees! :D

Yea I've had to break ice a few times to get out. Here is a dive vid from a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX68lFSNYfY

The gopro footage is a little grainy in the low light.

The best diving here is the winter when the glacial sediment is not being pumped into the water.

Attachments

• IMG_2526.JPG
    IMG_2526.JPG
    24.3 KB · Views: 130
I was told by my SIMRAD installer that the MFD's can be left on the boat in cold weather, as long as you don't turn them on. I tend to take mine off so I don't 'tempt' anyone!

My electronics have been flush mounted since 2004 and I never remove any of them for winter storage.

Attachments

• Image-A8ACBDA9A06C11D8.jpg
    Image-A8ACBDA9A06C11D8.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 90
Captain Kevin,
What year is your 2520? Your windows are quite different from mine (and in better shape too!).

rwp48":3gr38sr2 said:
Captain Kevin,
What year is your 2520? Your windows are quite different from mine (and in better shape too!).

She is a 1996 model 2520 MVSC. :)

It's funny to me the crabs just look like giant spider crabs that we have here in New England. They are a PITA! On recreational lobster pots. Maybe I should try cooking them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, we hauled Cool Change and down-rigged today. Sad, but it feels like winter is just around the corner. After discussing it with the yard, I decided to uninstall the chartplotter. At the end of the day, it was only four screws and three wire cable connectors.

I'm not sure what the big deal was but I'm glad I started the thread. More interesting conversations about Parkers. Nothin' wrong with that!

Back