Opinions - Radar or 2nd Chartplotter?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkA

Reaction score
So the admiral has agreed to let me get an electronics upgrade. I originally thought my next step would be adding radar. I've got a Garmin 4208 that is radar compatible, and I'm pretty pleased with it. But after using it for a couple years, I wish I had a little more screen real estate. When I've got the split screen between the sonar and chart, I really wish I had more chart. Now I figure I'd be using the radar overlay on a full screen anyway, but from what I understand, the new HD radar is much improved and not compatible with my current unit. So I'm thinking of getting a 2nd chart plotter, maybe a 741 and position myself for the HD radar next year, then have the best of both worlds. But I wasn't really impressed with the screen size on that, and don't have room (or the budget) for much bigger. I'd like to mount the 2nd unit in the dash below the current unit and move the radio. I really don't want a console mount as I have bifocals and that would be awkward to view for me. I'm not worried about getting the sonar on the 2nd unit, wanted it pretty much just for the chart plotter.
So, my question for you guys who have both types of setups, would you go with a 2nd unit or radar? How useful do you find the radar? Keep in mind I make about 1/2 dozen stream trips yearly but mostly stick inside 30 miles. I have occasionally been out when it's foggy and pretty much just putted down the creek and out of the main channels until things cleared. What would each contribute to resale or trade-in? What would your thoughts be on a 2nd unit?
Thanks for you thoughts.

I don't have 2 chart plotters or radar, but I do wear glasses with progressive lenses, so maybe I can help.

When I set up my helm, I did it with my glasses and my sight lines in mind.
My chart plotter (a 10") is front and center on the helm with the Yamaha gages right next to it.
The Furuno bottom machine is on top along with my backup (handheld) GPS and my handheld (backup) VHF.
My main VHF sits below the binnacle.

Everything was located due to sight lines and with my progressive lenses in mind.

If I were to add radar, I would personally go with a separate (Furuno) unit and locate it to the left of my bottom machine.
I've used radar overlay units and love them, but for me to do that would mean replacing my working Garmin 2010 GPS. Not an option for me.
I'd much rather add a separate radar screen... but that is just me.

I feel your pain.
If I could start over with a clean slate, a pair of 10 or 12" screens with chart and radar (and fish finder) networked together would be great.
Unfortunately, my wallet is thin. :)

Attachments

• Image-A8ACBDA9A06C11D8.jpg
    Image-A8ACBDA9A06C11D8.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 28Apr 002.jpg
    28Apr 002.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 141
Mark, I've been eyeing these Garmins too as someday I would like to upgrade mine and add a Autopilot plus have a better Sonar. Anyway, that 741 unit is nice and if I had your set up, I would want that mounted on the top position as the primary unit. The downview/sideview sonar and the better screen for the chartplotter up top would be ideal. Have you considered just selling your 4208? Although, you probably won't get enough for it to justify selling it and a split system is not a bad idea. You could purchase the bracket mount for the 4208 and put it on the top corner of the helm. That top right is like mine I think so it should work. See pic of mine mounted there. A pic of your current set up may help with assistance on set up.

Attachments

• IMG_1287.JPG
    IMG_1287.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 134
I have a 12" Raymarine with radar on my trawler in FL. My Parker had a 10" bracket-mounted Lowrance without radar when I bought the boat. I flush mounted it just as quick as I could. I will add radar next spring.

A couple of thoughts:
1. Bigger is better. You already know this. My eyes aren't getting younger. Neither at yours.
2. Split screen is better on a larger display. You already know this.
3. Bracket mounts really block your visibility. Yeah, you get used to it, but why compromise? You aren't flying an airplane in IFR. Look out the window.
4. If you wear bifocals or reading glasses a big flush mounted plotter is easier to use.
5. How many days a year will you NEED radar? If you run in Maine radar is more important than say, in Florida.

Radar is a very useful tool but absent an immediate need for it, I would upgrade the plotter this year with a mind toward adding radar next year.

BTW, a friend of mine always prefaces any spousal conversations about boat $$ with the words "this is all about SAFETY". Gets her every time!

That's the view from the cheap seats!

Once you have radar you will always want to have radar. It's great for So many reasons. i have 2 units, a furuno sonar unit that was in the boat when I purchased it and a lowrance chatplotter with sonar and radar that I installed. So if you keep the the unit you have you can use that for strictly sonar and your new unit for gps with radar overlay and you won't need to split either screen. How does that sound to you. Plus you will have a backup gps

Attachments

• IMG_0151.JPG
    IMG_0151.JPG
    319.5 KB · Views: 115
I have a older 4208 with an 18D Garmin Dome added last Spring. Perfectly compatible, with a nice screen overlay. Also have Autopilot Simrad, all work great together. Since I've had my radar I have used it extensively, and consequently use my boat further out more frequently.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still waffling on what to do, but leaning to the 2nd chart plotter now and radar later. I like the 'safety reasons' logic and as you pointed out, that always sways the admiral. I think I can be happy with the 7" display since it will be dedicated. Here's a picture of my current setup. I'm thinking of moving the radio down to the flat spot on the helm and installing the new unit where it currently sits. I really don't want to block my sight lines and like the in dash look.
One final question, can you run 2 sonar units off 1 transducer? I'm wondering if it's worth going the extra bucks to get the sonar option on the second unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0233 (Small).JPG
    IMG_0233 (Small).JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 91
With regard to the VHF location, I would definitely get it off the dash. That real estate is too valuable!
Personally, I like my VHF mounted out of the way overhead all the way to starboard. Easy to see, hear and use, yet out of the way. That's the way it is on my other boat and I plan to relocate the VHF on my Parker next spring. Sadly, it's out of the water in the storage barn awaiting the long, cold winter. :cry:

Glad you posted the pic Mark. I agree with Randy completely on relocating the VHF up top to roof on starboard side. I would also move the old Garmin down to the lower spot and put the new one on top. I would want my plotter/radar to be in the more heads up position vs the sonar. Your going to be cutting anyway and moving the old one down isn't a big deal. That said, your 4208 is bigger so...? I know it's a bunch more money but long term, maybe consider putting the project off for another year or whatever and go with the 7410? You have that great flush mount capability for it and you will be able to add most anything to it and in the end have a great set up. Another year will buy you some time to stash some cash in the coffee can and $2,300 will only look like $800. Lol :lol: good luck. I moved my VHF a few inches forward to the front window in the spring since this pic was taken but you get the idea.

Attachments

• IMG_1334.JPG
    IMG_1334.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 70
Mark, You are starting your thinking the right time of the year. Get all your research done but don't pull the trigger till after the first of the year. Just before the boat shows start looking for bargains. You will find great deals, and ask if there are any rebates to come out, you can save $$$. The new stuff will be coming out and there will be deals on the 2016 models. and if you have an electronics shop you like to use, or say a west marine, ask for gift cards for Christmas. The west marine I deal with does price matching, so check with your local store to see what they offer. Also at west marine if you join up for their gold membership It will run you $24.00 for a years membership, but you will get $10.00 in rewards points for every $250.00 you spend, so you spend 2,500.00 on a unit with radar you get $100.00 in rewards to buy more stuff. you can get what you want if you have patients. I purchased the gold card this past spring when west marine had a triple rewards weekend, then I walked up to the counter with a $1,000.00 lowrance auto pilot and got $120.00 in rewards. I'm not a big supporter of west marine , but I am a big supporter of good deals. Another great place is BOE marine to make purchases online, great people, they know their stuff on electronics and will let you know when the deals will hit. They are local to me but do tons of business on-line and have a great website to drool over, I was watching wicked tuna outer banks yesterday and noticed a BOE sticker on the cabin wall of the Hard Merchandise. I hope you find this info helpful, good luck Mike

Back