Second Station Electronics

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willf650

Reaction score
I'm picking up my new Parker this weekend and have been devising a rigging plan. It has the stand alone second station and I would like to have a fish finder on it. When we flounder fish we drift over man made reefs and I would like to mark debris and monitor my drift from the second station while fishing. Once we are through the drift I would reposition solely from the second station. Having a gps is pretty much a requirement to reposition and work a reef accurately.

What are you guys using as your set up?

This boat comes with the Garmin 840 and it appears there are a few other smaller Garmin's I can use off the 840 with an Ethernet cable and no additional separate transducers.

warthog5":1hr2616d said:
That's correct.....Ethernet cable and NMEA 2000

Is the NMEA required in addition to the Ethernet?

If I'm pulling one its not that big a deal to pull the other. I just wasn't aware both were required.

willf650":199czbtg said:
warthog5":199czbtg said:
That's correct.....Ethernet cable and NMEA 2000

Is the NMEA required in addition to the Ethernet?

If I'm pulling one its not that big a deal to pull the other. I just wasn't aware both were required.
No only the Ethernet cable is required the nmea can go on either device. Unless the cord is short then I ran a few to it as well as a junction

Does your unit have wifi capability. Though they can be hard to see in the sunlight. You can view many new units via Wifi on smart phones or tablets from anywhere on the boat.. For example, I can view my Furuno gp1870f via wifi through an app called Plan2Nav. Furuno has their own app that gives me full control of my TZT2 from an iPad or iPhone. I am sure other brands offer the same thing. Could be a quick fix instead of purchasing a new unit and running all the wires.

B-Faithful":1tneadq9 said:
Does your unit have wifi capability. Though they can be hard to see in the sunlight. You can view many new units via Wifi on smart phones or tablets from anywhere on the boat.. For example, I can view my Furuno gp1870f via wifi through an app called Plan2Nav. Furuno has their own app that gives me full control of my TZT2 from an iPad or iPhone. I am sure other brands offer the same thing. Could be a quick fix instead of purchasing a new unit and running all the wires.

The unit does have wifi and an app as you describe. I messed with it a little and it does work but this would be far from my first choice. I have difficulty using the camera on my phone in the sun, using it in bright sun is less then ideal.

Well here it is. A West Marine Black Friday sale had the 741xs $200 off so I picked one up along with a nice articulating Ram mount, NMEA 2000 cable and Garmin Net cable. Took a couple hours and installed all of it this past Saturday and I'm ready to rock.
IMG_0756-L.jpg

IMG_0828-L.jpg

It all seems to work with basically no setup but I haven't had it on the water yet and probably won't until next March. I'm still willing to go but none of regular fishing partners are willing to go with the temperatures in the 30's. This system has some neat features when they are networked together. You can update the software on all the networked devices by inserting an sd card in any device and you can also shut down all the devices from one screen. Long term plans are for three more networked devices. I will pick up a side scan/down imaging module and another 7"-8" screen and a radar dome in the future. I foresee the next purchase being the scanning module.

Back