GT51M-THP Installation

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjd24

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a new 2320SL and I'm considering installing a pair of GT51M-THP Transducers. The TM transducer loses bottom above 15-18 kts. I was wondering if anyone has any experience installing these units? It seems like a tight fit in the space available with the washdown/livewell fittings & the batteries.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tim

I installed one of these transducers for my 2520 port side. The toughest for me was cutting the block at the correct angle. I did not quite have the correct saw therefore I requested where I purchased the unit to cut which they accommodated. I have a standard hatch opening on the 2520 which was ample space to install and work. Not sure what space you have on the 23.
I will say I double, triple and quadruple checked before drilling any holes and began from inside the bilge vs from underneath so I was not drilling into a stringer or other structure.
I followed the directions and it seemed to come out very good. I was careful not to get any 4200 on the face of the transducer by taping with painters tape. There are You Tube videos on installing a round transducer which was very helpful. Good luck

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=16611

Thanks Bake,
My concern is the "closeness" in the space available.

Do you read well at cruise speed with your current placement?
Appreciate the info.
Tim

I use to have a problem loosing a 'reading' when under speed with my transom mounted ducer. I have not 'lost' the bottom with this transducer or at least that I have noticed. It is mounted about 6-8 inches off the center line and horizontally level. It can still 'see' over the centerline with the mounting block. If it is easier and you have questions I would be glad to speak on the phone. Still fairly recent install from last May/June. Thanks Larry

Thanks again, Larry.
I'll keep that in mind.
I have a fiberglass guy doing the install.
Our concern is finding enough room to safely install the twin 'ducers.
Parker Techs haven't returned my calls or emails yet, hopefully soon.
Tim

tjd24":3bsah2yp said:
Thanks again, Larry.
.......... Parker Techs haven't returned my calls or emails yet, hopefully soon.
Tim
I wouldn't expect Parker to make transducer recommendations. When ordering a 2120 this summer, they wouldn't even agree to install the round through-hull "chirp mode" transducer of my choice, in place of the generic B60 they supply. For your sake I hope I'm wrong.

You are correct about Parker not providing me with any information. I've sent 3 requests for Tech advice. Today is the 1st time they responded. Tech Support indicated they have no information with regard to the GT51M-TPH. They told me to ask Garmin.

I don't think I'll ever ask Parker for any assistance in the future.

Jersey Jim":2638v434 said:
tjd24":2638v434 said:
I don't think I'll ever ask Parker for any assistance in the future.
I'm sure they are knowledgeable and helpful with many other things, but deviation from the standard electronics packages is not among them.

Parker says to contact Garmin. Garmin says to contact Parker.
Still my 94SV won't read depth or fish over 14MPH.

I just sent another request for info/advice.....I'll see what happens next

Parker says to contact Garmin. Garmin says to contact Parker.
Still my 94SV won't read depth or fish over 14MPH.

I just sent another request for info/advice.....I'll see what happens next

I know whats wrong with it...... It's the X-ducer placed wrong.

Start a new thread with "Detailed" pix's and I'll help you with it.

Thanks warthog5, but my Dealer finally acknowledged their error and agreed to install TX properly. Since it is a Warranty issue, I always hoped they'd admit it & fix it.

I appreciate the offer.

tjd24":20wwktsk said:
Thanks warthog5, but my Dealer finally acknowledged their error and agreed to install TX properly. Since it is a Warranty issue, I always hoped they'd admit it & fix it.

I appreciate the offer.

My dealer wouldn't even install a transducer. Referred me to a local marine electronics outfit that they use often. Maybe they did in the past, and maybe they learned the hard way. The slightest bit of "dirty water" under the ducer, and you have an unhappy customer. The dealer was good enough to allow me to install it on their property, before we splashed her. Plus, the transom-mount bottom/side scan transducers are notorious for generating rooster tail spray onto the OB unless you use a spray shield. I used one Garmin sells to correct this. I did my homework and luckily it came out right the first time. Never lose bottom, even at 40 mph.

Jersey Jim":edjbzsys said:
tjd24":edjbzsys said:

I appreciate the offer.

My dealer wouldn't even install a transducer. Referred me to a local marine electronics outfit that they use often. Maybe they did in the past, and maybe they learned the hard way. The slightest bit of "dirty water" under the ducer, and you have an unhappy customer. The dealer was good enough to allow me to install it on their property, before we splashed her. Plus, the transom-mount bottom/side scan transducers are notorious for generating rooster tail spray onto the OB unless you use a spray shield. I used one Garmin sells to correct this. I did my homework and luckily it came out right the first time. Never lose bottom, even at 40 mph.

Dealer had an unhappy customer for an entire season. He installed the GT51M-TM as part of my electronics package. I wanted to install thru hull units because TM didn't work. Dealer & Garmin claim that with adjustment, my TM will operate at speeds near 30MPH. My bracket prevents rooster tail spray hitting my OB.
I remain skeptical but they assure me they'll get it right.

Back