Quick radar question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blazman234

Reaction score
I am looking at adding a Garmin GMR 18HD 4KW High Definition Digital Radar to my 2120. Should I just flush mount it to the roof or should I add some sort of mount to raise it up and angle it down or just add some sort of wedge when I flush mint it to angle it down?thanks in advance. Nick

The wedges are to keep the radar signal level when the boat is on plane.

That I would add.

As to a pedestal or not...... Higher is better..... that's a given.

But..... Do you have any height clearance places to deal with? Limbs on trees?

If you decide on jacking it up on a pedestal....You don't want it to high so it looks obnoxious. A 3in or 6in for that size boat.

A 12in would not look good.

Also.... Do not buy a Powdercoated alum pedestal......Buy a Polished stainless unit. It will still be looking good after 5yrs.
The alum will look like crap in about 3yrs.

Thanks. I think I may need to raise it as I do have the factory rocket launchers and I assume they would block some signal.

I have the Garmin 18hd on my 2120 mounted on a 4" lift with a wedge( I think 4degrees) for last 3 years. Radar works very good, only issue I have is interference with my vhf. I have mounted and moved all the wirin so far with the exception of the vhf antenna, that is a job for this spring. But running out of ideas with what it could be.

The interference is only on a couple of vhf channels but very annoying when trying to scan channels with the radar on.

Raise it up. You don't want the beam to be hitting you in the cockpit, especially your eyes. The low roof line of a Parker is usually at face level. A wedge is advised too.

On your boat I might suggest stepping up to the GMR XHD

From the Garmin site:

Optional “No Transmit Zone” can protect areas behind the radar from being radiated while providing full forward-looking radar capability. This makes installation more flexible by providing more suitable installation options on your boat.]

I'm torn with ordering radar and a 2nd screen on my new boat, how well does it work picking up crab pots ;^)

good luck.

I have the GMR 18HD mounted flush on the flat spot on the roof of my 2015 2120 and get excellent coverage and reception while up on plane or off plane. I also have rocket launchers and horns up there but they do not seem to cause any dead spots or problems. Remember that in heavy fog or rain in extreme low visibility conditions you will probably be running slow off of plane and at that time the radar dome will be level and most accurate if it is mounted flat.

johnkn":9f3s6cxw said:
On your boat I might suggest stepping up to the GMR XHD

From the Garmin site:

Optional “No Transmit Zone” can protect areas behind the radar from being radiated while providing full forward-looking radar capability. This makes installation more flexible by providing more suitable installation options on your boat.]

I'm torn with ordering radar and a 2nd screen on my new boat, how well does it work picking up crab pots ;^)

good luck.

With the no transmit zone, you lose what may be coming up behind you. Just elevate the radar on a mount so the beam goes over your heads. The higher the radar the further you can see too.

My radar is mounted up so I can see behind me with my extended hard top
9059-albums2575-picture91020.jpg

I run a Furuno 4kw 24" UHD radome currently and it is a fantastic radar. I can pick up crab pots as long as the seas are not very choppy. Crab pots can easily get lost in the chop on any radar. When it is calm, you can pick them up well. Here are mooring balls in Annapolis harbor.

13921144_10207572673018423_2988126550327955802_n.jpg

Banjo":3huhcmo4 said:
I have the GMR 18HD mounted flush on the flat spot on the roof of my 2015 2120 and get excellent coverage and reception while up on plane or off plane. I also have rocket launchers and horns up there but they do not seem to cause any dead spots or problems. Remember that in heavy fog or rain in extreme low visibility conditions you will probably be running slow off of plane and at that time the radar dome will be level and most accurate if it is mounted flat.

I was thinking this is how I would mount. Do you have a photo by any chance?

I don't have a dog in this hunt but I do have a 2120. If I ever add Radar, I would definitely add a mount with the wedge like the one Wart posted. If you are going to spend the money on a Radar why build in a blind spot when you can just use a mount. JMO. Also, I don't know what sizes the mounts are made but for the 2120 I think 6" is a little shy but better than no raised mount. About 10" would be ideal. Also, JMO. Good luck.

Here are some different versions of 18HD and 18xHD mounted on a 6" aluminum Seaview (with built in wedge). I highly recommend the 18xHD if you have the newer XSV series MFD. The split zoom is very helpful and the additional colors really add nice separation features.
650e65c6437e2da9383d9ffe4a74fcf5.jpg
6ff33ae04240633c6298697505991e71.jpg

060bae20a6f197a62c9e78ebaaf79f9c.jpg
b9afefb70f1a544906f053a0cb05c2a0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks very nice and functional. Maybe 6" is enough after all. I stand corrected. I have a spot mounted in the same location as Nolimits and that is one of the reasons, along with the horn and rocket launchers, that I felt I mount was a necessity. Also, my 2120 has the completely flat cabin top all around. I think they started making the cabin tops with the raised center section on the 2120's & 2320's starting in 07 or 08? That helps to make the 6" mount work a little better.

Back