Electric Trolling motor for moored boat?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltydoc

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I moor a 18ft Parker CC with a 2006 Yamaha 115 Four stroke- two batteries. I primarily fly fish in salt and would love to add a bow mounted electric trolling motor. I usually fish 2-3hrs average 2-3x per week in season. All fishing is local and within 15 min of dock... meaning short engine runs. I can use electric at the community dock maybe once a week to charge probably.
Soooo.....
-if I add a separate battery for trolling motor will it ever charge back up with short runs ?
- add a solar charger?
- charge at dock once weekly?
- forget about adding this option (don't want gas kicker)

Thanks for any advice.

A 24V unit is what you want..... Then you have to figure out where to hide the 2- 12V batteries.

Yes 2 in addition to what you have..... Gp 27 Deep cycles...... Not starting and not dual purpose.

You will need a on board 2 - bank charger..... You want at least 10amp per bank..... So that would be a 20amp unit.

You need to figure out where to hide this on the boat also.

A solar charger would be a good idea.... It needs to have a good regulator to not over charge and cook the batteries.

Hi,

I have an 1801 and we primarily fly fish on the west coast. I put a 24v Minn Kota RipTide ST w/ iPilot 60" 80lb thrust on the bow. This is powered by two group 29 deep cycle batteries under the front console seat. I ran the wires down the starboard gunnel to the stern and then back up to the console. In the console I have a MINN KOTA MK330PC 3 BANK X 10 AMP PRECISION CHARGER that allows me to plug in to AC power at home charge starting battery as well as the trolling motor batteries. If you have two house batteries, you'll want the 4 bank version of this charger. In addition I installed a MinnKota MK-2-DC Dual Bank DC Alternator Charger that recharges the trolling motor batteries while running the the Yamaha. Both of these chargers are mounted inside the console on the forward wall. This is the wall that serves as the backrest for the forward seat. So yes, you can charge all the batteries while running the outboard and you can recharge them at the dock or home. The whole setup coast about $2700 and I did all the install work myself. The hardest part was mounting the trolling motor and running the cables. If you have the older 1801 it may be easier as you don't have the anchor locker door to contend with. Hope this helps!

warthog5":1z8mhpk2 said:
Yes.

Your not going to be able to charge then from the motor

But, you can... http://www.stealth1charging.com/index.html You can charge while you run and, with ac module, charge at the dock. Granted longer runs around are required to charge the batteries completely. Glitter boat bass guys do this all the time.

scombridae - check this thread out where MikeS added the Stealth Charging System to his 1801 - http://www.classicparker.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11721&hilit=1801+refit

I have my batteries (two Wally World Marine deep cycle 27 Series going on 4 years) in the console along with a Guest 20 amp two bank charger. Six gauge wire is routed forward towards fuel tank, up fuel chase to underside of washboard and forward to anchor locker where the TM plug is located.

571f8c6b6ae44f9100ad5e77c42585b7.jpg

And you have how big of a motor?

Your correct, but a 115 doesn't have a very big alt on it. A brand new one is only 35amps.

Back