Console Set up and Simrad likes/dislikes

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassTub

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just purchased a new to me 1996 2500 SE and want to redo the electronics. I am thinking 2 Simrad GO7's. Does anyone have any experience with Simrad? Likes or dislikes? I am used to Lowrance. Fishing for now is in the Chesapeake Bay for Rockfish. We mostly jig.

Also please post pictures of your console set up

Thanks in Advance.

Chris

Attachments

• parker 2.jpg
    parker 2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 224
Well Simrad hasn't shown me a lot.

Here is a Before & After I have almost completed in a 31 Jupiter.

Before : Old Raymarine single 16in MFD

20170103_140848_zpsszyjfm9q.jpg

After : 1] 12in , 1] 9in , New Standard Horizon VHF, [it has a much smaller footprint and large numbers] Switches moved , power port & dual USB charge ports added. It was also covered in a carbon fiber wrap.

20170124_103539_zpsyzmbpqfk.jpg

NMEA stands for National Marine Electronics Association

Companies came out with their own bridge / interconnection system.

Then NMEA stepped in to standardize the systems. Like the car manufactures with the ALDL connector under the dash to get the codes out of the vehicles computer.

Well...... Their still not standardized. Simrad, Lowarance & BG have their own SimNet system. This means you have to buy their preparatory cable. It only comes in 1ft length. This cable is SimNet on one end and NMEA 2000 on the other so you can form a NMEA 2000 Buss. Those cables are a added expense at $20 a pop.

Did I mention I hate Preparatory and why I refuse to own a Apple product. I did have 1 a Ipod. :(

I spent a lot of time on Simrad's site. They are real chincy with older model info. If it's not their newest,latest and greatest.....It's pretty hard to find info on it.

This is my first Big Simrad Install ... There is Radar and 2 X-ducers in the mix also.

1 other thing.... Software update. I had to go get a Mini SD card so this could be updated.

Garmin includes to card with all the Garmin MFD's I've installed.

Therefore I stick with recommending Garmin for all around user friendly and access to older stuff.

warthog5- I have the same setup up using an EVO2 12 and 9.

My previous boats always had Lowrance. I changed to Simrad with my current boat because I wanted a flush install and the software was almost identical to the Lowrance.

I do not have or used a GO7 but doing the research, the GO series was a lot more limited than the EVO. I believe all of the newer units use a NMEA connection instead of the SimNet. I am very happy with my setup, but I don't have much to compare it to.

Warthog- Thanks for the reply. In speaking with a few other people I have been pointed towards Garmin. I am going to go check out a few units over the weekend.

Chris

This is the box that goes to Simrad's latest Broadband G4 radar

20170303_151017_zpsxaz96xbl.jpg

The connection on Left [yellow] is the SimNet connector. This is what you have to have this 1ft cable SimNet to NMEA 2000

The other yellow connector is for the Ethiernet connection.....again a Simrad Preparatory connection.

Bass tub - congrats on the boat. I only know Simrad second hand but have not heard any complaints. I fish out of Chesapeake Beach in a 21se and exclusively light tackle jig for rocfish. I run Lowrance HDS 8s gen 2 and structure scan. Considering most jigging is in less than 50' of water I find the Lowrance units to be a perfect set up. I also upgraded the ducer to a through hull. I have run garmon and raymarine units as well but found the Lowrance best suited my needs. Hope that helps and see you out there.

Regulate It - Thank for the feedback. I am leaning towards the Lowrance HDS now after doing further research and speaking with people. Our types of fishing are pretty much identical.

See you out there I can't get the boat ready soon enough.

Chris

I currently am running a Lowrance HDS 10 gen 1 along side a HDS 7 gen 2 touch screen. We have not upgraded to a higher frequency transducer but are still using the stock transom mount along side the structure scan. We basically never use the structure scan and I am entertaining a jump to dual Simrads with a 1000w thru hull. We do a lot of bottom fishing in the 70' - 130' range and have learned to use the Lowrance with success so our pause is do we invest in an upgraded tranducer for the Lowrance or update the technology to the Simrad.

i have heard good things out of both. However I am leaning Lowrance and am also leaning towards getting 2 units.

It would be nice to have one unit scanning while watching the chart on the other.

Hard to decipher between needs and wants.

Chris

I'm on the other side of the bay bridge and have two HDS7 Gen2 on my 1801 w/transom mount transducer and structure scan. One unit is always showing split screen of sonar and downscan and the other has map and sidescan.

Off topic, but FWIW, I find it amazing the number of folks who don't use the tracks/bread crumbs feature of their GPS.

My new-to-me 2520XL came with a Lowrance HDS 10 Gen2. Wouldn't have been my first choice but once I flush mounted it in the dash I like it OK. The PO was a fisherman and he had a pretty sophisticated depth system. Im not a fisherman so all I care about is a number showing the depth boldly on the chart plotter. I'm planing to add radar this summer.

You do know that Lowrance, Simrad and Brooks and Gatehouse (B&G) are all owned by Navico. My search for radar leads me to believe that I can interchange units within the Navico family. I wouldn't be surprised if the same held true for depth transducers.

My search for radar leads me to believe that I can interchange units within the Navico family. I wouldn't be surprised if the same held true for depth transducers.

Correct

New to the board (brand new). Just bought a 2300 SE and installing Simrad NSS12 evo 3. Fishing on friends boats and my old boat, I really wanted some buttons to use rather than just a touch screen. I simply have horrible timing. No matter when I try to touch the touchscreen while on plane on any boat under, we always hit a wave and I miss the point on the screen I was trying to hit. I don't have that problem (as much) with the twist knob/button setup. That pretty much limited me to the much higher cost Furuno units, Raymarine or Navico units. My last boat had Raymarine and I promised myself that I would not purchase that again. On a friend's boat with evo 2, I really liked the radar interface and the menu set-up for the sonar. On another friend's boat, I found the Garmin chart easier to use (as long as we were sitting still, of course). I also really like Structurescan and Furuno does not have a side scan system even available. Therefore, I chose Simrad.

FWIW, although you do have to purchase a chip (definite downside), on evo 3, I am told the wifi thing is built in now for updates. Lastly, I have standard factory installed Yamaha power so proprietary plugs seem like the cost of doing business. And yes, that cost of business does tick me off also.

Off topic, but FWIW, I find it amazing the number of folks who don't use the tracks/bread crumbs feature of their GPS.

Mine is always on.....With No radar , it really helps get you home at night.

My last boat had Raymarine and I promised myself that I would not purchase that again.

Good Move. :)

Back