Mounting Ideas for 2x NSS9

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djam

Reaction score
I scored a great deal on a pair of NSS9s for my new boat and I'm torn on how to mount them and hoping for feedback from this group on pros and cons. I have 3 different ideas. I'm 6' tall and the boat is a 2017 2320.

1. Mount both units in the helm (this seems to be a little tight with the other gauges)
2. Mount one unit in the helm and one on the top of the helm either on the right or middle (between the windows)
3. Mount both units on top of the helm

I've never had a parker, so I'm not sure how this would work, almost always center consoles. I like the idea of being to see in front of me at the unit at the same time, but I'm concerned about loss of field of view.

I'm listening....

Not knowing the measurements makes it very hard to give you any advise.

But...To flush mount, I'd be willing to bet that the whole flat surface will need to be cut.....Gauges moved

This boat has 2 garmin 8 inch MFDs in the pics. I think the actual overall dimensions for the NSS9 are a little smaller but very, very close.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2014/Pa ... ted-States

I have seen this boat. It seems like there would be glare from the top MFD when seated and the bottom when standing. However, it is a pretty install.

Greg

If this is it?......... It Sucks! The lower screen is Way to low making you move your head and eyes to much to make it out.

I'm '5-6" and I wouldn't like it.....You being '6 are not going to like that at all.

5860516_20160711123537657_1_XLARGE.jpg

If I had this dash and I could mount both units flush like that I would do it. As my 2120 sight lines are the same as the 2320 I can relate to keeping the top of the dash freed up. I'm assuming you would use the top unit for Chart/Radar overlay and the bottom for Sonar. If that is the case, I feel you don't need to stare at the lower one as much especially in congested areas as much as when just trolling or offshore where you can look down better as usually not in as much traffic. Also, based on the flow and standing areas of that cabin, I think mounting it between the windows up on the cabin top will put it in a bad head banging spot. All JMO, you will just need to sit at the helm and have someone hold them in the different spots for you and see what you like.

shawnee83":2r3bqfka said:
All JMO, you will just need to sit at the helm and have someone hold them in the different spots for you and see what you like.

Hi Shawnee83, that is exactly what I have decided to do. I really don't like the picture shown here, I think it would be hard to look down and up while on a pitching boat hunting tuna out here or even searching the shallows for white sea bass. Also, we fish a lot at night on anchor and I'd like to be able to see the screens from the back deck. I have the units and the boat arrives in a torturous 6 more weeks, once it is in delivered I'll mock it up a few times before I decide where to cut and / or drill. I want to see how mounting one on the dash and one overhead look. I'll have to keep in mind the potential to bang my head on it as I'm pretty tall.

I was actually thinking of trying to design/build a flip up/flip down thing like you see on airplanes, flipping the sonar out of the way when I'm in harbor, etc. As my wife says, keep it simple, so maybe just a paper chart.

I have a pair of Lowrance HDS7 units mounted on top of the helm, one on each side of the compass, on rotatable mounts. This works well for me. Neither block the view at all, and I can adjust them for viewing from any angle, whether I'm sitting or standing. I don't have to look up or down to view my charts, sonar, etc. Not sure you can get away with this mounting option with much bigger units. I agree with Shawnee... first set them where you may want to mount them and see how that works for you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

When I got my 2520XL the lotter was bracket-mounted on the top of the dash. I hated it there. When flush mounting it finally came to the t of the To-Do list I downloaded the installation manual and mounting template, cut out a copy and moved it around on the dash until I found the best location. The old carpenters' adage: measure twice-cut once!
BTW, when I cut the dash I was shocked. The 'glass and plywood core was probably 1-1/2" thick! I chewed up three saber saw blades and finished the job with a Fein Multi-Master.

Sorry. Didn't think to snap any pictures. The boat's in the storage barn in Maine and I'm in Florida so it will be a month or so before I see it again.

My boat is being hauled from NC as I write this, slated for arrival either tomorrow or Friday. I'm super excited, but now more confused than ever for mounting. I'm going to cut up some cardboard mockups with double sided tape and see what looks/feels best. I've got a few pieces to mount in the helm so spacing is going to be interesting:

2x 9" MFD, Autopilot, MOB+, ICOM 506, spotlight control unit.

And that's the best way to get a feal for it....No need for double sided tape. Just some tape.

Pay close attention if you get the units close to the edges.....On the backside it can get thicker in the boat...They may....or may not fit correctly.

I moved all my gauges from where the factory installed them..... In fact....The gauges were also changed later on when the boat was repowered with a Suzzy.

Sorry I had a hard time adding pictures but this should help many Parker guys with the small dash.
Here is my set up with 2-9" Evo3, AP44 and control, two radios, trim tab control, windass, switch panel, new Yamaha gauge, stereo and I lowered the steering wheel. There is still some room left :D

Attachments

• boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 152
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 152
  • boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 153
  • boat 5.jpg
    boat 5.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 153
  • boat 6.jpg
    boat 6.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 153
  • boat 7.jpg
    boat 7.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 152
Tom sent me the pictures last night, not sure you guys want to see them, it will make you insane with jealousy. Just saying, sometimes its better off not seeing what you can't have.

I'm busy planning to match his design now...

I did not really want to put this B275LH-W. Tuna tower will be 100% done by next Wednesday with the seat and the two antennas will be relocated higher.

Attachments

• boat 8.jpg
    boat 8.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 151
  • boat 9.jpg
    boat 9.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 151
This is not my boat but here is another dash design option with a side starboard and top piece.

Attachments

• boat 10.jpg
    boat 10.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 150
The fact that you have a flat surface. That would have had a Pocket mount if it was mine.

Back