Anchor light wiring

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike L

Reaction score
Thanks in advance and I'm sorry if this is a silly question in its simplicity, BUT.

I need help please.

Hears a quick breakdown.

I had a popular company install my upgraded electronics last year.
This included a "mast" that has my remote search light,(first tier) Radar,Next tier), xm radio and GPS antennas on next tier up, and off the main mast a 90 degree mini mast the goes up behind all three tier to house my anchor light.

When i wanted to upgrade my anchor light to an Attwood LED unit, I thought it would be rather simple, in that I would just reconnect what was there.

The anchor mast has one cable, 2 wires up to the anchor light. A red and a black, one gets 12.5 volts on my meter, other gets -12.5.

The attwood light is triangular, each "point" has a light (3) 2 forward for navigation lights and 1 on the back, at anchor all 3 would light for 360 degree coverage.

out from the bottom are 3 wires-red, black, and grey :?: :?:

My Parker is a 2012 with the standard panel of switches. so my nav is off, on on. for nav/anchor

When I connect red to red-black to black all three lights on the new attwood unit go on whether I switch from nav to anchor. I do not have anything else to connect the grey from the attwood to.......

I have in my hand a cable that looks like the original installation split one of my 2 cables that must have come loose, a simple crimp to two wires.

So what do I have to do to get my new anchor light to work? Is there a way to split the possetive, or the negative. I am not an electrician, and I looked and the diagram the attwood came with but I cannot figure this out...
I hope this makes sense...
Again thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

WOW! That was confusing.

The anchor mast has one cable, 2 wires up to the anchor light. A red and a black, one gets 12.5 volts on my meter, other gets -12.5.

You must be reading voltage thru the light? Black is GND.

Power is cut or turned ON thru the switch. A Double Pole Double throw [DPDT]

Look at the manufactures website...There should be a schematic there.

Circuit6.jpg

I've installed this same light on mine. From the light itself: Black is ground. Gray or Red should be your running lights and a white or blue should be anchor or masthead light. Either way, you should have 1 ground and 2 pos wires that are coming from your nav switch up to your light so something doesn't sound right to me?

warthog5":17ruj82z said:
WOW! That was confusing.

Sorry.

One cable, shielded marine grade white cable, inside is 2 wires- 1 black & 1 red.

My answer was also confusing and incorrect. My apologies. The reason for the 3 wires on the Atwood light is because it's made to work on different type and size vessels that require either a masthead light or just a stern light while running. Boats over 40 and sail boats have different rules on nav lights. The short answer for you is that you just need to connect your black wire from the Atwood to the black wire from the boat. Then you need to splice the Red and Grey wire from the Atwood together and connect them to the Red wire from the boat. You should use heat shrink butt connectors for this as it will keep the wires dry and prevent corrosion. If connected properly you should be able to turn your switch on at the dash to the Nav position where your front Red & Green are on and your Atwood all around light should also be on with all 3 lights illuminated. If you turn your switch to the other position(Anchor), your Red & Green Nav should be off and only your Atwood should be illuminated (all 3 lights). Hope this helps. See pic of mine. I'm assuming that you have the same one? Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.JPG
    IMG_0543.JPG
    90.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0553.JPG
    IMG_0553.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 83
shawnee83":2n65sm39 said:
My answer was also confusing and incorrect. My apologies. The reason for the 3 wires on the Atwood light is because it's made to work on different type and size vessels that require either a masthead light or just a stern light while running. Boats over 40 and sail boats have different rules on nav lights. The short answer for you is that you just need to connect your black wire from the Atwood to the black wire from the boat. Then you need to splice the Red and Grey wire from the Atwood together and connect them to the Red wire from the boat. You should use heat shrink butt connectors for this as it will keep the wires dry and prevent corrosion. If connected properly you should be able to turn your switch on at the dash to the Nav position where your front Red & Green are on and your Atwood all around light should also be on with all 3 lights illuminated. If you turn your switch to the other position(Anchor), your Red & Green Nav should be off and only your Atwood should be illuminated (all 3 lights). Hope this helps. See pic of mine. I'm assuming that you have the same one? Hope this helps.

Thank you very much!!

No wonder it was confusing...... I couldn't imagine why 3 wires there....But a quick check of the light before install would reveal that it had 2 bulbs in it to do that, and as said tie the Red and Gray together.... I've never used that model light.

The boat wire color should be Gray going to the switch.

Things can get confusing when you have the same color wires all coming together. So. I use electrical tape to mark them.

Masthead/anchor light gets White tape. STB gets Green tape and Port gets Red tape. So now when your making that hook up at the switch you know Exactly what Gray wire is which.

Back