Anyone have a 2820 with thru-hull Garmin transducer?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnkn

Reaction score
How does it work? Does it retain bottom contact at higher speeds? thanks

Well I don't have a 2820....... However I do install a Lot of X-Ducers.

Transom, Thru hull's and shoot thru the hull units.

1st...... What model are you looking at?

2nd..... Does the 2820 have a flat spot on the keel near the transom?

3rd..... How deep do you fish?

4th.... Don't skimp and I hate transom mount X-ducers on a bracketed boat.....You end up with cables going everwhere and looking Ugly.

If it has a flat spot on the Keel.... The ideal setup is a pocket mount. It's also the most expensive, as the pocket must be formed and installed.

Example:

This is the box that fits a Airmar B-260....It also fits a B-256 Chirp X-Ducer The X-Ducer is flush with the bottom.

P1010236.jpg

Next is a 1000 watt Tilted element X-Ducer. Chirp or Non Chirp.... They are the same size.... 3 3/4in hole is drill thru the bottom of the boat.

Here is one I had to fix from someone else installing it in the wrong position.

Note the hole at the upper left of the pix. Note that it's not a clean drilled hole... IE: to small a hole and then chopped up.

That X-Ducer was in that hole.... It was installed by a dealer. :(

I moved the X-Ducer and fixed the hull...This was on a 286 Grady.... We water tested and put the motors on the pins....44MPH and it painted a perfect pix of the bottom. Previously it would loose bottom sitting still and rocking.

100_5900_zpsebd0ca7d.jpg

Thank you. Here's what I'm working with:

New 2820 with flushmount Garmin 1242XSV and dash mount 7608XSV both support CHIRP, Clearvu and Sidevu running the CV52HW-TM supplied with the 1242. Transducer is dealer mounted outside the starboard motor, wiring exits the transom under the bracket, so from a wiring perspective it's clean. When I first received the boat I would lose bottom at any speed more than ~39mph. When I lost it, if I back down to 30 it would take minutes sometimes to re-acquire and occasionally I would have to basically stop. 59 mph boat and no idea how much water I'm in over ~39.

Boat trailered back to the dealer (very large and established Parker dealer), dealer tilted the back of the transducer down. Shipped back to me, no positive change.

Back to dealer again, appears they tilted the back of the transducer down more.

Back to me, when I saw the boat on the trailer the transducer appeared to me drastically tilted back down. Now in 3-5' of water at trolling speeds it wont lock on the bottom, sitting in my slip generally it won't lock on bottom. . Increasing speed to 25-30 I begin get a lot of clutter suggesting air/turbulence, over 30mpg is a 50/50 proposition of working and upper 30s it always loses bottom

There is a flat spot in the center of the keel at the back that impressed me as a location to mount a thru-hull transducer, I'll try to find a picture unless anyone has one.

My fishing is shallow, 3-30' on the Lower Potomac River and Chesapeake Bay with max depths of ~120'

At this point I'm weary of this problem and want it fixed, the best transducer mounted in the best location, whatever that is. This boat will easily cruise at 40-45mph, I need to know how much water is under me. Thanks for your help!

When I first received the boat I would lose bottom at any speed more than ~39mph.

That's about good as it gets with a transom mount.

For your situation A 0 deg B-175HW is what I'd put in it.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/product ... tml?id=167

Your fishing shallow water.... The wider cone angle will help you find stuff. It's a 1000watt unit.... Not that you need a 1000watts for that shallow of water.

The 0 deg would be mounted on the Flat.

You could put a 20deg in , but not on the Flat.... This would normally go on the STB side as close to the Keel as possible....Say 8 to 10in.

But that is provided that there are NO hull protrusions in front of it and its not inline with a Strake.

This is why the Flat is best. It will protrude 3/16in out of the hull.

No....You will NOT have side scan with this X-Ducer..... You will have a wide Bottom view and surface water temp.

Also.... If you haven't...... Turn on A scope on your machines.

PS: Where the heck you going in a all fired hurry? We cruise a 25MPH and don't beat the boat or people up.

I think your expectations for a transom mount are unrealistic.

FWIW the cleanest water is off the flat.

Next cleanest is just fwd of the intake scoop starboard side which is where Parker typically mounts an Airmar B60 low profile transducer. This is how my 28 came from Parker. The performance is acceptable and I'm not going to move it to the flat. There is some degradation of presentation at warp speed but I can live with it. It does not lose bottom. I have shot thru the flat on other Parkers and the flat will give a perfect non-degraded presentation at ANY speed. The flat is where I would have mounted either a thru hull or a shoot thru if the boat had not come already set up. It looks like Parker puts a tilted element transducer on the starboard side in all there hulls MV/DV. Too bad they don't put a 0 degree low profile on the flat pad as this is the optimum set up especially for a hull with twins.

The flat pad does have a small piece of plywood glassed in to accept screws and such from the bilge pump/other components. The 28 has plenty of room fwd of the plywood to rig a transducer without getting into the plywood.

Thanks guys. I wish my dealer would have advised me. Is these a through hull xducer that will support sideVu and work for me or am I better off abandoning that feature? Could I retain my current TM and assign it only to sideVu and use the thru hull for everything else? If not, I will sacrifice sideVu. And does the shoot thru xducer work as well as the thru hull in my situation? What about marine growth? Sounds like I'll need to take a swim every few months to clean it, right? Again thanks

The flat pad does have a small piece of plywood glassed in to accept screws and such from the bilge pump/other components. The 28 has plenty of room fwd of the plywood to rig a transducer without getting into the plywood.

WOW! Really?

In my bilge on a '95 where the batteries mount the panel is Coosa Board and it's original.

Some people will use the transom mount for the side scan.....But there is a Thruhull.

This is a thruhull that is downview and sidescan......mounted on the flat this would be a nice unit. But I have never installed one of these.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/540990

warthog5":275qhqjw said:

WOW! Really?

Yep. This is my stock 2016 28.

I have removed portions of the plywood on past 23s to make room for a shoot thru. The 28 has more room fwd of the plywood.

Attachments

• IMG_0983.JPG
    IMG_0983.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 160
Communicated with dealer. B175HW thru-hull ordered. They confirm it will work on the flat spot. I'll keep the existing TM to run ClearVu and SideVu when running slow.

Never had a thru hull, what do I need to do to keep growth off it, take a swim every month? No problem in FLA but not as much fun here in Maryland.

THANKS guys!!

johnkn":21rnk5kx said:
Communicated with dealer. B175HW thru-hull ordered. They confirm it will work on the flat spot. I'll keep the existing TM to run ClearVu and SideVu when running slow.

Never had a thru hull, what do I need to do to keep growth off it, take a swim every month? No problem in FLA but not as much fun here in Maryland.

THANKS guys!!

Use this MDR transducer paint - the deliver method is water based vs a solvent which could possibly damage the transducer. Apply using a latex glove (the brush in the bottle is pretty much useless). Recommend about 5 coats to get you through a NE season.
http://shop.mdramazon.com/TRANSDUCER-PAINT-MDR-720.htm

grouperjim":1yi9dqix said:
I think your expectations for a transom mount are unrealistic.

FWIW the cleanest water is off the flat.

Next cleanest is just fwd of the intake scoop starboard side which is where Parker typically mounts an Airmar B60 low profile transducer. This is how my 28 came from Parker. The performance is acceptable and I'm not going to move it to the flat. There is some degradation of presentation at warp speed but I can live with it. It does not lose bottom. I have shot thru the flat on other Parkers and the flat will give a perfect non-degraded presentation at ANY speed. The flat is where I would have mounted either a thru hull or a shoot thru if the boat had not come already set up. It looks like Parker puts a tilted element transducer on the starboard side in all there hulls MV/DV. Too bad they don't put a 0 degree low profile on the flat pad as this is the optimum set up especially for a hull with twins.

Hey Jim. I'm having the B175HW put on a new 2320 by the dealer. I think it's a 20 degree. From reading this should I use a 0 degree on the flat spot ? Is there a flat spot on this boat or should I just leave well enough alone. The dealer outfits these boats all the time and know more than me, so not sure I would bring it up unless this is something I should look into.

Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmoore":1guxl0i8 said:
Hey Jim. I'm having the B175HW put on a new 2320 by the dealer. I think it's a 20 degree. From reading this should I use a 0 degree on the flat spot ? Is there a flat spot on this boat or should I just leave well enough alone. The dealer outfits these boats all the time and know more than me, so not sure I would bring it up unless this is something I should look into.

Thanks !

Sorry for the late response......been in the Keys fishing with the 28.

The dealer won't mess with the alterations needed to make the transducer fit on the pad. They'll use a 20 degree because it is quick and easy and the presentation is decent.

Enjoy the new the new sled.

grouperjim":jrqhafov said:
Bmoore":jrqhafov said:

Thanks !

Sorry for the late response......been in the Keys fishing with the 28.

The dealer won't mess with the alterations needed to make the transducer fit on the pad. They'll use a 20 degree because it is quick and easy and the presentation is decent.

Enjoy the new the new sled.
No worries ! Thanks !

Well, the 0* Airmar through-hull was installed on the keel flat spot on my 2820. CHIRP works perfectly now at all speeds. Thanks everyone for your input. Warthog5, dropped you a PM.

thanks
john

The GT52HW is a great transducer for the Garmin units in the bay. Too bad it didnt work for you. Hopefully the through hull works out.

I've still got the CV52HW-TM and will run ClearVu and SideVu off it at speeds less than upper 30s where it loses bottom. The B175HW through hull will be dedicated to traditional CHIRP also allowing contact at speeds greater then ~40. The CHIRP picture also seems much better with the through hull. Happy to finally sort it out.. Thanks

Back