Sonar problems 2013 2300 DV, Garming7610xsv and Airmar B75m

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsearles

Reaction score
I have a 2013 2300 DV, 21 degree deadrise, 15"draft, 8'6" beam, with a Garmin 7610xsv and an Airmar B75M 20 degree tilt CHIRP thrull hull x-ducer. This is a 600 W transducer with an operating frequency of 80-130 kHz; a beamwidth of 24/16 degrees. The x-ducer is installed on right (starboard) side about 10 inches from keel and about 5 inches from the transom (see image).

The Problem

If traveling at speeds higher than 17 MPH and I steer to the left the Garmin 760xsv starts flashing the last know good depth reading and does not correct the problem until I steer to the right. The faster I go the less of a turn to the left is required to cause the loss of the bottom. For example, at 30MPH or over, even the slightest turn to the left causes the 7610xsv to start flashing the last know good depth reading. At higher speeds , 25 - 30MPH, simply returning to a straight course does not fix the issue, I must turn sharply to the right.

If at speeds of 25 - 30 plus MPH, I steer fairly sharply to the right in a big wide turn, the depth reading is correctly displayed and updated as long as I keep turning to the right.

My boat is at a marina on the Parker river, north of Boston and I fish in water mostly in water between 5 and 30 feet but go to 70 - 100 feet for mackerel and do occasionally go out to 250 feet. I would really like to the depth to be accurate when travelling out to greater depths and when fishing off Rockport and Gloucester.
Note, I also have a Garmin GT30 transom mounted x-ducer for down/side view which operates at a completely different frequency (455) and I only once is at very slow speed in fairly shallow (5 -20ft) water.

At the moment I do not have a good picture if the bottom and back of the boat as it is in the water at the marina. I did check it and it has no growth on on it.

Any help appreciated, David

Attachments

• Airmar_B75M_interior_cabling (2).jpg
    Airmar_B75M_interior_cabling (2).jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 113
Did this happen from day 1 , after the install?

Is there a appendage in the hull in front of the X-ducer?

There are no appendages in front of the x-ducer. I am planning to get pictures of the hull and transom of a 2300 DV later today, which I will post when I get it.

As for when this problem started, I hate to say it but I'm not sure. Although the boat is a 2013, I bought the boat new in August of 2015, off on the dealer's lot and had the x-ducer and Garmin 7610xsv installed by the dealer. The dealer person who installed it was "factory trained" by Garmin, as I recalled I think he said he was "certified" by Garmin.

In the first two months of using the boat I do not recall seeing this problem but I know that I was also very new to the boat and the very Parker River estuary and Ipswich harbor so I was most going around at pretty slow speeds as I learned my way around the area.

I do know with certainty that that the problem has existed since the beginning of the 2016 season.

The boat spends the summer in a slip and is stored at the marina in their storage racks. It is put in and pulled out using a large marine bull. It is not trailered.

WAJSKI":3se67kqa said:
I installed a B175hw on my 2011 2320 and never had a issue almost exact same area as yours

Exactly!

He should not be having these problems. The description sound's....and looks sound.

When is the last time you dove the boat and scrubbed the X-ducer?

If it sits in the water, then this is part of maintenance.

I dove the boat last week and scrubbed the face of the x-ducer with a non scratching scotchbright pad. From what I could see there really was not any growth on the x-ducer.

I should also add that I have had both the dealer rep and the area Garmin technical rep out on my boat for a ride and to observe the problem. The Garmin technical rep told me that he could not come up with a "smoking gun". He seem to think the issue is not the the $2600 Garmin 7610xsv or the x-ducer but something about air under the boat, perhaps due to the strake. Unfortunately, that did nothing to help resolve the problem and I think the only way to really further identify the cause (and eliminate the Garmin unit as the source of the problem) would be to plug the x-ducer into different sonar display unit (preferably not a Garmin) and see if the problem still reproduces. I do not have another sonar unit to do that and replacing the x-ducer would cost me $700 plus labor and I could just end up with the same problem.

I talked to the guy at the dealer who installed the x-ducer and said he has installed over 100 thru hull x-ducers on Parkers and always puts them in in the same location and has never seen this problem.

I previously owned a 2007 2320 with an x-ducer in same location and the hull of that boat is exactly the same as the 2013 2300 hull, most importantly with the same strakes, and I had no issues.

I delete the images in this post because I add image in a later post that are of my boat.

I know is not that likely, but I would especially like to hear from anyone else who has a 2300 DV with the Garmin 7610xsv (or any size 76?0 xsv unit) and an Airmar B75M x-ducer.

Again, any thoughts and or help appreciated.
David

WOW....It's really hard to tell a lot from those pic's still. I'd like to see a much better pix in the bilge also.

I can't tell if the X-ducer could have been installed lower in the bilge? IE: closer to the Keel.....even if it was moved forward some 12" - 18".

You obviously have a Deep V with the 2 strakes on each side.

Thanks Guys
The latest Gamin update has been applied to the unit. All the connections are clean and have been checked both by me and the Garmin technical rep. All settings have been reset to factory defaults.

I do not know for certain that it is not the Gamin 7610xsv, I am basing my opinion that it is not on the fact that the depth reading and display work at all speeds, 30 plus MPH, as long as I am turning sharply to the right, which is when the x-ducer is "dug in" to the water.

As I mentioned before, I dove under the boat last week and did not see any growth on the bottom or the x-ducer. I would take the boat out of the water to thoroughly inspect the bottom and x-ducer but that will cost me $150 just to have it hulled by and put on a rack so I can check it.

here are images of xducer and strake of my actual boat

Attachments

• xducer_strake_0.JPG
    xducer_strake_0.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 60
  • xducer_strake_1.JPG
    xducer_strake_1.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 62
  • xducer_strake_3.JPG
    xducer_strake_3.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 61
  • xducer__0.JPG
    xducer__0.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 62
Well... 1st.... Those are Great pix's......Wish others would show pix's like this. :)

The Strake does seem to be the problem.

Personally....I'd like to see it say.........another 8 to 10in forward and closer to the keel and not inline with that strake.

What ever works out best from the inside the bilge of the boat.

I hate it when dealers do this. The guy who installed it put it in the wrong spot. He may have been a Garmin trained installer but not savvy about what works on a Parkers. Now you have a hole to fix if you remove the transducer.

0 degree transducer through the flat pad is the spot you want.

Second choice is to use your 20 degree transducer starboard side just ahead of the raw water pick up (if you have one) and well inboard of the strake.

The pad is the best but not the easiest of the two installs. You'll have to make room for it and drill and remove some of the plywood that forms the base of the pad. You may also be able to trim the battery shelf and install the transducer in front the pad as well. Worth the effort IMO but then again you already have the 20 degree tilted element so that may commit you to the choice #2.

Here is an example of each install on a Parker DV.........Kevin and I are competing for the cleanest bilge award. 8)

Attachments

• IMG_0979.JPG
    IMG_0979.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 62
  • Library%20-%200663.jpg
    Library%20-%200663.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 61
0 degree transducer through the flat pad is the spot you want.

I read that and looked closer.... He's exactly right!

It was hard to see that with bottom paint and the angle of the pix's. I was concentrating on the strake more.

I've fixed'em like this before too.

You guys have confirmed my worst fears.

So far the dealer has not been offered to fix this and I am sure that removing the x-ducer from its present location, patching the hole and then having the x-ducer installed in a location in the flat section as pictured above will cost me a bundle.

Anyone have a ball park estimate for that work?

Also, having the x-ducer removed from the current location and having the hole filled and patched is a little scary. Would the patched hole have reliable structural integrity?

I've done them before.

It's a pain, but yours is not "That" difficult to get to.

That would be a job I'd be interested in if you were close.

The X-ducer could be damaged when removed...... But your going to need a new one anyway. It could be the same model
But it will be a Zero deg angle.

About $1000 + the new X-ducer.

Back