Can't fill fuel tank on 2015 2520 XLD

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Brent. I bypassed the fuel canister today and still got spit back with barely squeezing nozzle. I also attached a new hose to the epa canister and was easily able to blow air through it as well as the vent hose exiting the canister. I can now say with 100% certainty that on my boat that canister does not impede venting at all. I could blow air through it at the same rate as blowing through a hose not attached to anything. My dealer came by the house today and we pushed a 6 foot vent hose all the way down through the fill hose all the way to the tank and had no obstruction. We both agreed that at my 100 hr service they will just figure out for me. I would have taken it sooner but they are two hours away. Just hope once we fix it there might be some useful insight for someone else in the future. Thanks again for all the feedback. Now I just need to get a handle on my new F300 making oil.... that’s a whole other story [emoji15]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a thought. When we snaked a 6ft hose down the fill tube it came out soaked with fuel, but I’m pretty sure tank is only 80% full. I added about 10 gallons about an hour before snaking the hose down when I was testing the vent. Is it strange that the snake hose would come out wet ? We didn’t snake it all the way into the tank, just to the 90 degree elbow on the tank where it stopped. Could fuel be collecting in fill hose and causing the slow fill ? Maybe there’s a flat spot ? I dunno’ ?

Sorry to hear you couldn't put this issue to bed.

My thoughts are that you are trying to top off your tank which (thanks to EPA) is set up to prevent topping off because the plumbing inside the tank shuts fueling down when the fuel level reaches a specified distance to the top of tank. Brent's link describes the set up and terms used for this.

Eliminating the carbon canister returns your fuel systems to more of an "old school" open system and prevents the possibility of contaminating the canister should you actually achieve topping it off and blowing gas out the vent line. I personally prefer a simplified fuel system without the canister, but I think the culprit in this "spitting gas" situation especially in light of the fuel soaked hose you mention probably means you're simply trying to put in too much fuel. Not sure. I guess the lesson here is if you are going to run the charcoal canister..... try to avoid getting fuel in it.

I don't trust gauges very much. You can visually check the fuel level via the inspection plate on top of the tank just to verify how much fuel is in there.

Just throwing out ideas......is there a scope of some sort you can run down the fill hose to check for proper function/restrictions?

Thanks Jim. Yes, dealer wants to scope it for me at 100 hr service. Thanks for the insight. Makes perfect since and explains why topping off is always the most problematic. I’m having issues filling even when empty. I’ve decided to just quit trying to figure it out and let dealer handle it. I can live with a slow fill for 30 more hours. I was hoping I might be able to solve the issue on my own with minimal work, but I guess one perk of a new boat is you can just have the dealer figure it out. Thanks again - Brad

Bmoore said:
Now I just need to get a handle on my new F300 making oil.... that’s a whole other story [emoji15]

Suggest you start another thread for meaningful feedback. :wink:

Well my buddy asked me to get a shop drawing of the tank/system from Parker to see what he can do to remedy this problem. Over a week and no answer. Called them today and no one was available and left voice message. I do have to say after 2 Parker's they kinda suck with their customer service.

LJ,

It sure would be nice to have it fill the old way which allowed us to easily top off (like our previous Parkers). With the new 28 allowing me to fill up to 232 gals out of 250 before it kicks off it's not that big of a deal for me at that range. But, if there is a fix other than to remove the carbon canister restriction I would be interested to find out if there is anything we can modify to allow us easy access to the full capacity of the tank. I am not too optimistic.

grouperjim":1kfdxopm said:
LJ,

It sure would be nice to have it fill the old way which allowed us to easily top off (like our previous Parkers). With the new 28 allowing me to fill up to 232 gals out of 250 before it kicks off it's not that big of a deal for me at that range. But, if there is a fix other than to remove the carbon canister restriction I would be interested to find out if there is anything we can modify to allow us easy access to the full capacity of the tank. I am not too optimistic.
Who makes the tank,,? I would call them with tank serial number
M,2cw

B2

I don't know who makes their tank as I have sent Parker 2 emails and called them this morning and still no response
Like I mentioned their customer service skills suck

Lucky John":2wkseupi said:
I don't know who makes their tank as I have sent Parker 2 emails and called them this morning and still no response
Like I mentioned their customer service skills suck
Usually there is tank decal by the fuel sender and just need to pull the pie plate and have a flashlight on hand

B2

grouperjim":1uw58c17 said:
LJ,

Spoke with Parker about this...The tanks have multiple valves inside the tank that stops the acceptance of fuel. Sounds like these valves are placed within different baffles throughout the tank. This has nothing to do with the slow fill issue, just confirms that the tank can’t be altered to accept more than stated capacity. Trouble shooting my own slow fill issue currently and ruled out my carbon canister as a source of slowing the fuel fill, but was advised by Parker to also check the valve connected to the 90 degree fill elbow at tank. Apparently there is a spring door that lets fuel through, but prevents burping of the tank back out. This is an illustration of what they use. This can be removed or inserted by hand. I’ve also attached a photo of where my fuel hoses exit the PVC pipe before running across the tank. Not sure if the glass was supposed to be removed from around the PVC opening, but appears mine is not and could possibly be causing some compression or could be lowering the hose level just enough to cause a fuel trap. Since boat is only a year old I’m going to have dealer look at it when I go in for 200 hr. Service. Being a new boat I just don’t want to deal with the headache of physically trouble shooting the issue
e93758b172bc02674779287c7617c2bf.png
d6d36a5d76d338bbb17b10e54f370e4c.jpg

Just wanted to share an update. Me and my dealer had no luck figuring out the slow fueling issue. I finally called Florida Marine Tanks and they said to pull one screw out of the sender. This creates a perfect vent and helps determine if it is a venting issue or not. Well.... I pulled a screw out and she took gas on wide open without kicking off. They said they are going to mail us a fix. The basically air drill another vent into the tank and T it into the vent line. They think the weld at the vent inlet might be the issue. Might be slightly to big causing the venting issue.

I don’t want to get every slow fill owner all concerned. My issue was worse than most. I could not get the nozzle to stay on the lowest clicker ever. I had to basically trickle the entire tank.

Back