2520 xl vs. 2520 xld for eastern Long Island

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRR7127

Reaction score
At 6'2" I don't fit in the newer style 2320 pilothouse so it comes down to the two 2520 versions. I fish Shelter Island sound to Plum Gut and the Race with trips to Montauk in between. I'm not an offshore guy and do most of my fishing on the drift ( except for blackfish in the fall). It seems most guys always say get the DV but in my case I think the single engine and stabler drift would have me leaning to the 2520 XL. I appreciate any input from members who fish these areas regularly please give me your opinion on the subject. I also went to visit Steigercraft and I don't fit under their 23' and 25' Miami. Only other I'm considering at this point is Judge 27' Chesapeake ( 6' 7" of headroom according to Bill Judge). Thank you for the responses and for a great site.
John

Bryan thank you but why? Miky when I do a search specific to our area I come up with no matches, I think I was pretty specific in the use and area I would be fishing but if my question would be similar to fishing Chesapeake Bay, the Florida Keys, or the Straits of Hormuz please educate me because I am trying to make an informed decision. I find the information on the site to be very informative. But if you are not able to now, no worries I will be out on the water soon enough and will seek out real information from owners who fish the areas I am asking about.Winter time so i figured I would use our down time to shorten the learning curve. Cheers,John

If your not going out for long runs offshore and prefer the drift fishing, i would go with the mod v for stability.

Thanks Jutah kind of what I'm thinking but when I went to whitewater the salesman seemed to want to steer me towards the deep v. Also I have read many threads here where opinions seem to steer towards the deep v. Presently I run an 18' Outrage which is pushing the limit but I like the stability it affords me in the rips. Just want the weather protection a pilothouse affords you. Tight lines...

I maybe wrong but a 25 deep v you will need twins on the back, hence salesmen push the more expensive boat. If ur drifting thru the rips a mod is more stable a deep v you'll be bouncing around like a pin ball.

It all depends on how many trips u take to MTK.

The mod vee is no more stable than the deep vee.

If you are a fair weather boater. Get the mod v. If you want a single get the mod vee.

Your choice but I know I would not be happy without my hull but I drive fast.

Your choice.

Im out in California, so Im not sure if my boating conditions compare.

I had a 2007 2520XL with a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke and I loved it!
Super stable, great economy, only one engine to service.
It did pound a bit in a swell, but everything in boating is a trade-off

TunaJoe":28yvftz9 said:
Im out in California, so Im not sure if my boating conditions compare.

I had a 2007 2520XL with a 250 Yamaha 4 stroke and I loved it!
Super stable, great economy, only one engine to service.
It did pound a bit in a swell, but everything in boating is a trade-off

Did you sell your boat?

I drive from Niantic to the Race 3 times a week from May 1 to September 14th in a 2520XL and I love it, i troll and i drift and i drive around for fun and i take the kids tubing, stuff like that, plus 70% of my boating time is in the dark

I can only recommend anything to me because everyone has different opinions/expectations, etc., also, I only have really good experience with my 2520, before this i had a 20' center console which was horrible to drive, it was a 2000 Hydrasports

The reason I went with the 2520 XL is cuz cash was an issue, I wanted brand new, I wanted to pay cash, I wanted the best fuel economy and the least cost of ownership, if cash were no issue at all i would buy the 21 degree boat, just cuz it has to be better, right, but in my own mind i can't see how one would be that much more or less stable than the other when drifting, just like in the end i doubt that the ride is miraculously better in the 21 degree boat, it is probably better but i also would have trouble measuring it, so, in the end the $18,000 dollar difference (or something like that) was just not worth it to me, plus the engine maintenance would be $600 more per year, plus when i have to put a new engine on the back it will be a lot less than putting new engineS on the back

I can only speak to my boat for fuel usage but on a typical day when i am driving out to the race at 25 mph with a couple of my big fat friends I am burning about 10 gph, I always imagined it is less than the 21 degree boat would use but since I never owned one i can't say for sure

how's that for a non answer

Thanks AMR, I would say that is exactly what I'm looking for. My usage of the boat typifies what you described. Tubing with the kids, fishing the race at night, and stable on the drift. Brian, wouldn't consider myself a fair weather fisherman, but at 47 standing in the rain or hiding behind the console of my 18' whaler to get to Fischers to blackfish in Oct. and Nov. is getting old. If I wanted speed I would get a 26'Regulator FS and put a wing enclosure on it. The idea of a cup of coffee in a pilothouse nice and comfortable while not costing me a fortune in fuel sounds about right. So thanks again everyone for the responses, the search begins, and spring can't get quick enough here in the Northeast.
Tight lines, John

Id go DV just my opinion. In short chop (what we get on LIS) the 21 degree compared to the 16 is noticeable. Again only my opinion.

Thanks Miky I appreciate informed opinions that's why I limited this discussion to the areas we both fish in. I like the 2320, but the cabin height is a killer. I know from reading past posts from you and others the previous version 2320 had more cabin height. Do you know what year they switched over to the new design? Also do you find with the notched transom when you fish the Race that you get a lot of water coming in through the notch? Presently fish withe Whaler and when the current starts moving (2 knots or better) I tend to get water in the splashwell and cockpit. The boat handles it well but I would like a boat that keeps the water out( unsinkable or not!). The closed transom I'm sure does it well but I'm not ruling out a notched transom if it does a good job of limiting water on the deck. Also, fishing around a transom mounted engine vs. the bracket is easier. My bad as soon as I returned to the page I saw your photos have a bracket.... ooops.

Yea my boat has a lot more head room then the newer 2320's. Personally I wouldn't buy one of the new ones. Head room is one of the biggest reasons as i am 6'2 and I don't like how they don't have a solid bulkhead for the helm.I believe they went to the new style in either 2002 or 2003. I also would not buy a boat with a notched transom when I was looking for my boat I knew I wanted a 2320 and i knew I wanted a full transom and im glad i made that decision.I also had the advantage of having a family member with a Parker so i knew what I wanted based on his boat (bryan2530) I can fish 5 guys on my boat and the deck never gets wet, important for fall black fish season. Never had a problem landing fish with the bracket. Again these are all just my opinions.

Sounds good. I wish I could go to Whitewater and buy the 2520DV but finances dictate otherwise. The 2320 cockpit is large enough for my fishing needs (total of 3-4 guys) and the older version has the headroom.... Like I said earlier, the search begins. Thanks for the information.

I too, wouldn't buy a notch transom, but I do prefer the newer 2320 look with lower wind resistant and open feel in the pilot house for my little girls to sit while I'm driving. Then again I'm only 5'6". I would look to buy used before spending the big cash on a new parker. There are plenty of good boats for great price that wont break the bank. Check out Bryan 2530 is for sale (real nice boat) or you can get a used 28 :D for the price of a new 25.

Good luck in your search and don't settle, I knew I wanted the 2320 full transom with a 250. It took time finding it since most 2320 now come with 200hp but I found it, fully loaded with only 250 hours for about 40% less than a new one.

Back