Ride comparison: 2320 vs 2520 XL

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a 2520. I have been able to fish out of a 2320 at least a dozen times this summer offshore mostly 35+ miles out. I'd like to get away with the 2520 XL just due to the purchase cost and fuel but realize there will be a ride penalty for offshore use. Since I have zero experience in a 2520 of either deadrise, I just wonder what the difference in ride will be with the 2320 since that's all I have to compare it to. I was always impressed with the 2320 offshore but my last fishing boat was a 20' light weight 15 degree aluminum jet sled with a very far forward helm nicknamed "The Bleeder" by my friends who rode in it describing their urinary tract after a ride in the waves.

Obviously the XLD would be the best choice for offshore use, but this will also be used for a part time bay boat as well. Just fished out of another buddies 23' aluminum flat bottomed sled last weekend, forgot how much I miss the stability of a flat bottom.

Rob

why not save the 30k and get a 2320 if you liked the ride better. Can certainly buy a lot with the price difference

I think maybe that was a typo and he'd like to get away with a 2320 due to cost and fuel. I think he's wondering if the 2520 will give a better ride and if it would be worth the extra $$$. At least, that's what I'm wondering too, since I'm faced with a similar decision myself. :?

Thanks for the responses guys, but I think I wasn't very clear on what I wanted to know.

I want to get a 25 footer. I want to be able to get the less expensive XL. People say it pounds offshore. Other people say it's good enough offshore if you slow down. I haven't ridden an XL BUT I have ridden in a 23 footer (21 degree deadrise) so this is all I have to compare it to.

So my question is: how does a 2320 (21 degrees deadrise) ride compare to a 2520 XL (16 degrees deadrise) ride?

Bigger, longer boats generally (apples to apples) ride better than their shorter counterparts. Lot of variables between the two, but just wanted a comparo.

Thanks.

Rob

Hard to compare the two...

The 2320 is a DV, but has a narrower beam than the 25.
2520 XL has a modified (16 degree) hull, but has a beam that is a foot wider.
Two different boats.

There really is no 'ride penalty' if you drive her smart.
An MV boat cannot be driven as hard as a DV, but what you give up in speed, you get back in economy, comfort, and cockpit space.

If you don't mind slowing down a bit, the 2520 has a lot to offer. :wink:

That's the type of answer I wanted to hear. Thank you. I wanted someone to come right out and say I'm not crazy for considering a 16 degree XL for offshore use. I was kind of hot on a Grady 232 until people say they are very hard to plane below 20 MPH. The waters I go in, it's not at all uncommon for most boats except cats to be in the low 20's due to lumps.

Cap... My 2520 is the older 14 degree hull, and with a set of 24x9 Bennett trim tabs, she will stay on plane at 9 kts when conditions really go to hell.
If someone tells you that a 25 'pounds', chances are they are driving it too fast for the conditions presented to them at the time.

These are wide, big cockpit fishing boats.
They are not narrow, deep vee Contenders, or Regulators.
If you are good with getting to the fishing grounds and returning with a lot of cockpit room and the protection of a pilothouse, you have found your boat.

Good luck in your search. :wink:

Thanks Megabyte. I appreciate and respect your info not only in this thread, but in the myriad of other threads I've read. Good stuff.

Baby on the way (next week) so nothing is going to happen anytime soon, but research is half the fun!

Rob

Congratulations on the little one!
Your life is about to change. :D

Aaahhh thanks. You know, enough people keep telling me that life's about to change I'm starting to believe it!

I'm still all over the place with boats, but after making a bad choice last time, I am probably over analyzing everything, just don't want to get caught in that trap again. I've just been so impressed with my buddies 2320 in every way that Parker's keep coming to the top of the list.

Have fished a lot offshore (50-120 mi) on both a 2006 2320(DV) and a 2006 2520(MV). Both with a Yamaha F250.

In the Gulf of Mexico (close chop) anything over 2-3 and we take the 2320. That said, in calm seas it was nice to set the AP on the roomy 2520 and cruise along at 25 mph. The 2320 is a battle wagon that can take anything relatively well on plane at 20 mph.......and it is nice to cruise at 35+mph.

I also am torn between the 2320 and 2520XL

After reading multiple post on the internet forums seems
* many discount the 2520XL based on deadrise alone without ever being on one
* owners of 2520XL say going slower and correct use of tabs will limit pounding but still pound a bit
* 2320sl with deeper deadrise and narrower beam will cut through better than 2520XL all day everyday

Correct?

I have a 2011 2320 with a 225 4s it took me 2yrs to decide. The 25' has a bigger pilot house but that's it the back deck is where I do my fishing from. I measured both decks and for $30k new it's not worth it. I can tell you that the 2320 is not a good ride unless you have a seaspension pedestal seat (for the driver) riding in the rear is a smooth ride. The pilot house as mentioned in snotty weather is great. The older 200hp I feel is underpowered, I tested that first and was not impressed.

Rob, I recently sold my North River and bought a 2520 XL Parker. I am also in Seattle if you would like to check it out or go for a ride.

RoundsComplete":198uc1g6 said:
Rob, I recently sold my North River and bought a 2520 XL Parker. I am also in Seattle if you would like to check it out or go for a ride.

That is why we encourage folks to put their location in their user profile.
Thanks RoundsComplete !

Back