Can't fill fuel tank on 2015 2520 XLD

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosun

Reaction score
Anyone with a new 2520, are you having this problem?
I Just took delivery of a new 2520 XLD. Took her on the maiden voyage / break in this Saturday.
After the trip, the fuel gauge (Yamaha Command Link Plus) said I needed 29 gallons of fuel. Started fueling and after three gallons, the pump shut off and fuel burped out of the fuel fill (not the vent). I slowed the rate of delivery but the pump shut off again after three tenths of a gallon. This continued for several minutes even with the fuel nozzle barely open. I could get about three tenths in, have to wait 30 seconds or so for the fuel to go down the neck and then start fueling again. It took 25 minutes to add 20 gallons of fuel. Fuel never burped out of the vent, just the fuel neck.
I took the boat back to the dealer today and explained the issue.
This evening I got an email from the dealership stating that this is a known issue with the fuel tank manufacturer and it's due to EPA regulations requiring a filter on the fuel vent. This makes the last ten percent of the tank difficult to fuel. I'm was told to think of my 179 gallon tank as a 162 gallon tank. What the hell kind of answer is that? Have any of you guys heard of / experienced this issue?
I'm really upset (more like pissed) that I have a 100k boat that I cannot fill the fuel tank on.

When I took a plant tour last year I asked why the 2120 was rated for 100 gal on mine but the new ones were only 90. The answer was the tanks were the exact same size but they added additional baffles and they decreased the rating by 10. I didn't hear about a filter on the vent tube, but it wouldn't surprise me. The EPA has been on the industry to do these type of things in an effort to prevent fuel spills at fill up. It sounds like they are creating more problems than they are solving? Maybe you can have the filter removed, if it's really there? Hopefully someone else will be able to fill in. Perhaps "Luckyjohn" will read this, he has a new 2520 XLD also. Good luck.

If the dealer won't do it remove the filter yourself. You'll put more gasoline into the environment trying to fuel-up with the damned filter in place than what the filter will keep out of the environment. Not to mention the agravation. Typical government regulations....sort of like the "benefit" of Ethanol in our gasoline.

Due to the extended winter here they haven't finished rigging my boat yet. The way it looks I won't be splashing till the first or second week of April. Part of my deal is to get the boat delivered with a full tank of fuel. I know the dealer said they were going to put 75 gallons in initially to calibrate everything. I will mention it to them before I splash, to be honest I wouldn't accept that answer from the dealer and would call down to Parker for a better answer, but my first instinct would be to remove that filter, going to the canyon this season I don't want to be minus 17 gallons of fuel.............

Unless there is trapped liquid or a clogged vent, temperature changes should not cause pressure problems. Filling a fuel tank at the normal rate of liquid flow (9 to 12 gallons per minute) found with most fuel dispensing pumps (some may put out more), might present a problem if too small a vent line is selected or if there are restrictions in the line. Blow-back through the fill opening will occur if the vent system is plugged. It has been generally found that a 9/16 inch inside diameter vent line with not less than 7/16 inch inside diameter fittings, provides sufficient flow capability to allow the fuel tank to breathe without excessive pressure build-up. It must be emphasized that vent lines be installed so that there are no potential liquid traps.

thanks

Trouble Symptoms: New Tank Effect
The first fill-up of a new tank may cause the system to vapor-lock and shut off the fuel nozzle. If that happens, wait 10 minutes for fuel vapors to penetrate the whole system. Following that, this glitch should not reoccur.

If the problem does not go away, the vent hose may be pinched or kinked. This can cause excess tank pressure to build up, shutting the safety valves in play and halting fuel flow. It could be caused by incorrect placement of the fuel-fill-limit valve by the builder, or by hoses that are too long so that they develop a kink or a low point where liquid fuel will accumulate and restrict ventilating capability. Fuel flow from the fill nozzle could also be restricted by a clogged charcoal canister. The bottom line here is that such problems need to be handled by the boat dealer. If the problem is related to installation, it represents a genuine warranty issue.

One thing you don’t want to do is try to get the evaporative control system bypassed or removed, or try to do that yourself. Remember too that all of the components for these systems need to be certified by the EPA and substitution with improper hoses, valves and canisters could end up causing more problems than you’ll be minimizing.

So what’s the bottom line with the new evaporative emissions control systems on boats? Well, based on two seasons of use on my own boat and the feelings of the systems design engineers I’ve spoken with, you’ll never know the system is on your boat. I think it’s safe to say that you can expect years of trouble-free service from these systems.

Fuel System Safety Tips
*Inspect fuel system at least annually.
*Never use B-rated fuel hose inside an engine compartment.
*Only A-rated hoses are fire rated.

I was fortunate to do a plant tour this past February and noticed this large filter like object attached to the tank vent that resided under the washboard..
When I asked what it was, I was told that it is a new EPA regulation filter (most probably a carbon filter to 'scrub' gas fumes).

I did not know at the time that vent would make it difficult to take on a full load of fuel.
If it were my boat, I would take delivery, then remove that filter and store it.

Went through my photos, and found that I shot that 'filter' that the EPA mandated.
Now you know why everything costs more...
The government is attempting to save you from yourselves. :evil:

I would still remove it.

Attachments

• 01 filter.jpg
    01 filter.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,852
  • 02 filter.jpg
    02 filter.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,850
Or leave it in place and bypass it.
That should tell you if it is the cause of the issue or not.

Megabyte":1pusu22r said:
I was fortunate to do a plant tour this past February and noticed this large filter like object attached to the tank vent that resided under the washboard..
When I asked what it was, I was told that it is a new EPA regulation filter (most probably a carbon filter to 'scrub' gas fumes).

I did not know at the time that vent would make it difficult to take on a full load of fuel.
If it were my boat, I would take delivery, then remove that filter and store it.

Looks like Bosun lives very near plant.

Wonder why he didn't take a plant tour ?

Well I took delivery today of my 2015 2520xld. The dealer initially put 75 gallons in the boat to calibrate things. I negotiated a full tank upon delivery so on the way down to my dock we stopped off and tried to fill the tank. As mentioned above I had similar issues. I did manage to get 82 gallons in but 75 plus 82 approx 157 gallons. Rather than waste more time I opted to just continue down and get splashed. The boat was on a good angle on top of the trailer and I remembered reading this thread so hopefully the next time I am able to get a "full" tank of fuel.
I will update my results next fill up, and if need be give a call down to Parker and see what they have to say.

Lucky John":2ajvin2z said:
I will update my results next fill up, and if need be give a call down to Parker and see what they have to say.

I would be interested in their take on this.

Well I tried to fill up my fuel today but there is a problem with this filter. It showed that I burned 54.3 gallons.Using cans this time I was able to trickle in about 60 gallons which still leaves me about 20+ gallons shy of the 179 gallon capacity. The last 10 gallons was a real PITA. I had to trickle it in and stop and rock the boat for it to go down. Once again the overflow never spit out any gas it just kept overfilling thru the fill neck. I have written Parker an email, and hopefully they will answer me.
This is an issue, they will have to come up with a solution. I don't feel like sitting at the gas dock every fill up for an extra hour trying to squeeze the fuel in..................

Lucky John":2jsf57w9 said:
Well I tried to fill up my fuel today but there is a problem with this filter. It showed that I burned 54.3 gallons.Using cans this time I was able to trickle in about 60 gallons which still leaves me about 20+ gallons shy of the 179 gallon capacity. The last 10 gallons was a real PITA. I had to trickle it in and stop and rock the boat for it to go down. Once again the overflow never spit out any gas it just kept overfilling thru the fill neck. I have written Parker an email, and hopefully they will answer me.
This is an issue, they will have to come up with a solution. I don't feel like sitting at the gas dock every fill up for an extra hour trying to squeeze the fuel in..................

Do you feel removing that filter will do any good or is it extra baffles in the tank causing the problem? Sorry to hear your having this issue with your new baby. I hope the shakedown went well and you are otherwise happy with your boat. She's awesome looking to me. Good luck with working this issue out.

Well it hasn't stopped me from boating about 50 stripers in the last week :mrgreen:
After doing some reading today I think it is something Parker will have to figure out. Maybe the hose to the tank is a little too long and is causing a void, not really sure at this point. I am still learning the boat and electronics at this time and have enough to keep my mind busy each trip. At this point I am not going to disconnect any filters or hoses, like original poster stated this boat is north of 100k, I will let Parker figure this out and tell the dealer what has to be done to correct this issue.

Back