150s on a 28?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fellas, I know that boat, it's a 2820. I agree, certainly under-powered with twin 150's as they are rated for twin 300's max hp. She probably cruises at 22 - 23 knots and drinks lots of fuel

Gents - to clear up any speculation - Different boat. Up until recently we had 5 Parkers, and ran 2 2820XLDs with twin 150s and shaft extension kits. One of the 2820XLDs had twin 250s and was sold repowered with 150s. Boats run great with the 150s, tops out at 36-38 kts and used easily 40-45% less fuel compared to the twin 250 boat.

This is not the boat listed last year, that boat was sold is currently used to inspect the Bay Bridge Tunnel and runs like a champ.
We also sold two other 2520 XLs last year that were completely refurbished.

This boat is in incredible shape - built in GENSET and Webasto HVAC, electronics all replaced in last 3 years. Linwood Parker has been on both of our 2820s here in Virginia Beach and was very interested in how we integrated the GENSETs. Looks like a much newer boat.

We also just listed on Craigslist a 2520XL - completely refurbished. Has a GENSET, 20 HP kicker, and all new electronics in the past 18 months. Boat is beautiful, just splashed last week.

Sorry to go off topic. Any pics of the genset and hvac set up? Looking to do this in a 2830.

Boog... I'd love to know more about your refurbishments.
Consider starting a new thread in the projects area with photos and commentary.

Mega -

Appreciate the interest! I have not been on here in awhile as we sold the last of 5 Parkers that we used to support some government work. Our owner is an exacting former navy chief engineer, and our lead boat mech, boat builder is the same way. The refurbishment of the boats was comprehensive, the last 25' boat we repainted as in the end it was the better choice for the boat and also stretched our crew a bit. They really came through - that boat was incredible for a 10+ year old Parker.

Our last project completed is our own "work boat." We picked up a 25' Whaler Guardian off of a government auction and then fixed all of the structural design issues, completely gutted the boat. Only the hull, console and grab rails were re-used. Repowered with twin Merc Verado 150's, all new Garmin electronics with twin screens, and a really really loud stereo. The boat is gorgeous, and is our "work boat."

At the end of the month we are starting two Carolina cold mold 28' center consoles. I expect we will go over the top on these builds, but as they say, you can't take it with you.

Our website has some pictures of the older parkers on there, and in the next month or so it will be updated to include the Whaler as well.

https://www.abwrx.com/

Sweet.
Many of the upgrades and custom touches you are doing apply to any boat, not only Parker’s.
Feel free to post your builds in the Project area so we can all learn ‘new stuff’. :)

As a comparison, I own and run a 27’ Grady white islander with twin f150’s. The boat is 8’-6” wide and weighs 5500 lbs. 44 mph. From what I can tell with other boats, the beam is what requires the horsepower. There are other factors but beam sets the starting point for the other factors. A 28 Parker with a 9’-6” beam and more weight would typically require more power, especially in a head sea.

Last edited:
Back