Parker 2320 USCG doc?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyhigh123

Reaction score
Anyone know if the Parker 2320 qualifies in tonnage to be registered with the USCG documentation?

Thanks

USCG requirements state that the vessel must be at least 5 net tons.
Net Tons is a measurement of volume, not weight on the trailer. Usually a boat needs to be over 25' to qualify.

rwp48":3rl5c51q said:
USCG requirements state that the vessel must be at least 5 net tons.
Net Tons is a measurement of volume, not weight on the trailer. Usually a boat needs to be over 25' to qualify.
that's correct. the 23 footer is close, and adding in the pilot house volume, may help get it to 5 net tons. Seeing is anyone here has it.

I can't confirm whether the 2320 qualifies, but when I purchased a new 2510 in 2001 it was (only) registered with the USCG by vessel name, no need for state boat numbers or stickers on the bow. Good luck

Here is the calculator:

GRT = (Hull Volume + Deckhouse Volume)/100
Where:
Hull Volume = S x K x L x B x D
Deck Structure Volume = Ls x Bs x Ds
Note: For vessels with small deckhouses and other deck structures, the deck structure volume is
ignored (treated as “zero” value). Deck structure volume is accounted for only if the
volume of the principal deck structure is equal to or greater than the hull volume.
The overall dimensions of the hull are as follows:
L = Overall Length
B = Overall Breadth
D = Overall Depth
Note: D is normally measured from the deck edge down to where the hull meets the keel, except
for vessels designed for sailing where the interface between the “keel” and the “bottom
skin of the hull” is not clearly defined (as is the case with an “integral” or “faired” keel),
for which the depth is measured to the bottom of the keel.
The shape factor (S) is as follows:
S = 0.5 for hulls designed for sailing (finest hull form)
S = 0.67 for powerboats, ship-shape and circular hulls
S = 0.84 for barges and boxed-shaped hulls (fullest hull form)

K=1

Does anyone know the length of the 2320 from transom to the bow not including pulpit? and Height of boat from keel to the deck?

Parker shows the length as 23' With a LOA Of 30' 9" including bracket and pulpit. Why not try to register it and see what happens? Is the USCG going to go through that detailed calculation?

johnkn":aeho188c said:
Parker shows the length as 23' With a LOA Of 30' 9" including bracket and pulpit. Why not try to register it and see what happens? Is the USCG going to go through that detailed calculation?
Supposedly the calc uses loa not including pulpit and transom deck bracket. I will keep you guys posted.

My last boat, annual fees for uscg was $30 a year for renewal fees. Plus I prefer no numbers on the boat.

Update:

I sent in the paperwork for registration. Based on the simplified gross/net tonnage calculation the parker 2320 does quality for USCG documentation. Based on my numbers it came out to 5.2 net tonnage which is perfectly above the minimum of 5 net tonnes.

No more CF numbers :D

Just updating everyone that my boat is officially USCG documented. It perfectly covered the 5 gross ton requirement.

Brent":acd83rt8 said:
Neat. Are you starting a charter,?

B2
No. For California, i prefer USCG documentation over State registration. I don't need to put CF numbers on the boat. Gives me a little more freedom and less of the state paperwork.

flyhigh123":2twnaqju said:
Update:

I sent in the paperwork for registration. Based on the simplified gross/net tonnage calculation the parker 2320 does quality for USCG documentation. Based on my numbers it came out to 5.2 net tonnage which is perfectly above the minimum of 5 net tonnes.

Can I ask why the desire to have your boat registered with the Coast Guard?

MikeMarkCA":1fgrvq1r said:
flyhigh123":1fgrvq1r said:
Update:

Having had both types of registration, a Federally documented vessel is the way to go. Especially if you travel state to state with it. Plus we don't want to give this state anymore funds than they're already draining us on.

Biggest thing to note for the original poster, the official documentation numbers still have to be posted on both sides of the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Flyliner":2truwsfm said:
MikeMarkCA":2truwsfm said:
flyhigh123":2truwsfm said:
Update:

Having had both types of registration, a Federally documented vessel is the way to go. Especially if you travel state to state with it. Plus we don't want to give this state anymore funds than they're already draining us on.

Biggest thing to note for the original poster, the official documentation numbers still have to be posted on both sides of the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

per the regulation, i do need to have my official number somewhere on the boat, permanently affixed, but it doesn't need to be on the exterior. it can be on the interior of the hull as well.

"HOW DO I MARK MY VESSEL?
The official number assigned to documented vessels, preceded by the abbreviation "NO." must be marked in block-type Arabic numerals at least three inches high on some clearly visible interior structural part of the hull. The number must be permanently affixed so that alteration, removal, or replacement would be obvious and cause some scarring or damage to the surrounding hull area.

The name and hailing port of a recreational vessel must be marked together on some clearly visible exterior part of the hull. The vessel name of a commercial vessel must also be marked on the port and starboard bow and the vessel name and the hailing port must also be marked on the stern. All markings may be made by any means and materials that result in durable markings and must be at least four inches in height, made in clearly legible letters of the Latin alphabet or Arabic or Roman numerals. The "hailing port" must include both a place and a State, Territory, or possession of in the United States. The state may be abbreviated."

btw, flyliner, u jonathan from bd :D?

flyhigh123":3rzf2qn9 said:
Update:

what was the depth measurement? my boat doesn't arrive for a couple weeks

thrasher949":zytzlfsc said:
flyhigh123":zytzlfsc said:
Update:

I had, 23.5 x 8.5x3.9 feet.

expect it to take 3-4 months to register.

flyhigh123":1w60ridj said:
thrasher949":1w60ridj said:
flyhigh123":1w60ridj said:
Update:

I had, 23.5 x 8.5x3.9 feet.

expect it to take 3-4 months to register.

thanks dude, that's what I figured. California gives you 90 days to register anyways

Back