Gas tank removal

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesretired

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has any of the 23 foot Center console owners had to remove their gas tank. I have a possible leaker and I am trying to get a plan of attack in case it has to come out. Yes I have checked the hose connections to the tank and they seem to be OK.
Thanks for any feed back
Charles

Get the tank tested, tested again and re tested again. Once that is done have it tested by someone else. If they all fail then you have an issue if they pass all testes there are a few areas to check. What symptoms are you having? Between windnotnc and I I bet this boat gets repaired in 15 minutes lol.

Since last entry , I tested the tank and found that it had a leak, not in the hoses. I have since cut the deck, dug out the foam and removed the 155 gallon aluminum tank. Upon removal I found that on that bottom aft end it had corroded thru from the outside from sitting in the foam which was ( salt ) water saturated. Because it had gas in it I am not really shore if if was salt water, I really think it was a mixture of both salt and fresh. Approximately 5 gallons. My research finds that it did not enter via the deck pie plates but instead thru a very poorly sealed joint where the cables and wires come up thru the deck into the console. There is a rectangular hole in both which a very lousy attempt to seal the mating surfaces with some sort of silicone. It appears the worker ran the caulk tube empty while placing a bead around this opening and said that's good enough nobody will see it. Consequently when taking on water or washing the decks there was water getting under the console ( the console is not sealed around the outside perimeter )(not yet ) and trickling thru this " poorly sealed" opening down on top of the gas tank of which most would escape out the back into the bilge undetected thru the hole that all the lines, cables and wires passed thru and some would seep down into the coffin box. Currently waiting on a new tank, pics to follow when finished. Now you know most of the story !
Will be glad to answer any questions
Note this has occurred in a '95 Parker Center Console

Please post some pics of this project. The visual record of what is below deck is very helpful to others. I cannot tell you the number of pings I have gotten about the 21SE I did. Since I have a 23DVCC now I also am interested to see the progress.

charlesretired":m5gymq3e said:
Has any of the 23 foot Center console owners had to remove their gas tank. I have a possible leaker and I am trying to get a plan of attack in case it has to come out. Yes I have checked the hose connections to the tank and they seem to be OK.
Thanks for any feed back
Charles

I'm in the same situation on my 2007 21se for the last several months. I have replaced all
Obvious parts including vent lines,fill lines, sender, fuel line etc. Originally it was a water in the fuel tank issue. Now that we know there is a hole in the tank I can just about safely say the water made its way in through the bad sender. I thought I got the problem solved with the leaking fuel until last week when I ran the ocean and the fuel was literally pouring into my bilge when the bow came up. I had the boat towed to my service marina for a new tank install. I went with an epoxy coated 95 gallon aluminum tank. This is not a very hard project but it's a labor intensive and will have about 15-20 billable hours. Not looking forward to the final cost but it is the right thing to do and I love my boat. Big shout out to ATlantic marine for stepping up and helping me with this project!

charlesretired":2o7l09td said:
Thanks for any feed back
Charles

I replaced the tank myself, didn't need any professional help to determine if it was the tank or hoses, or to complete the entire project.

Pics will be coming soon of the project , all turned out great, lots of work, at least 50+ hours. Now trying to catch up on lost fishing time.

Any questions or tips call me 410 382 4555
PS. my leak was caused by water on the outside of the tank.........

charlesretired":3gwsy6rb said:
charlesretired":3gwsy6rb said:
Thanks for any feed back
Charles

I replaced the tank myself, didn't need any professional help to determine if it was the tank or hoses, or to complete the entire project.

Pics will be coming soon of the project , all turned out great, lots of work, at least 50+ hours. Now trying to catch up on lost fishing time.

Any questions or tips call me 410 382 4555
PS. my leak was caused by water on the outside of the tank.........

I'm looking forward to some progress pics from the dealer to see exactly what happened. She goes under the knife today. I feel the exact same thing happens to my tank with water soaked foam. The consoles are not glued and sealed 100 percent and it is easy for water to collect and just drain right through any open access under the console. I'll keep posted to the progress.

WOW! Your having the dealer do it?

You do know about having the new tank Coal Tar epoxied.... Right? Dealers are usually to lazy to do work like that.

The tank is being custom built by a local fabricator, it will be epoxy coated and certified etc. the dealer is doing the work because I am not messing around with gasoline. I know my limits and will not risk screwing something up and it costing me double in the end let alone a major catastrophe with the fuel. It's an expensive fix but I will feel better knowing it was done right. I will however do all the glass and finish work.

Back