I assume this is the horn?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beaverjc

Reaction score
I have a 23' Walkaround and was just investigating what all the buttons/switches do and I have one right below the 12v opening - I assume this is for the horn?

Attachments

• IMG_1463.JPG
    IMG_1463.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 352
I might add it says "Push" on the button but doesnt do a thing. Thinking it must be horn and horn is broken....

OK and did you look under there to see if any wires were hooked to it?

Usually there are oval louvers on the outside of the boat....Thats the horn grill.

Looks like this.

100_5692_zpsb94ea902.jpg

shawnee83":3tmd0p3k said:
You might need to turn your ignition switch on to at least where your gauges light up before it will work?

Nope.....Never have I wired one or seen one wired that way.

It's just a GND & Hot lead.....They don't even use a relay.

I have the round horn mounted on the starboard side of the boat near the cockpit. Nothing happens when the key is turned on. Its a soft plastic button that says "PUSH". I cant find any other switch for the horn so I am assuming thats it.....guess I will have to get another horn and see if thats what its for.

OK We got somewhere. :)

By the way.... Pix's help a LOT!

You have a Walkaround Cuddy....aka W/A ......Correct?

They don't put trumpets on them usually, unless it would have a hardtop and maybe not then either.

Your going to need to get to the wires on the horn. It may drop in the front after the screws are removed and the grill removed that covers the horn.

You can do these tests with a 12V test light......

1st run a good ground wire aka GND to a known good ground.....I suggest going to the GND at the battery.

Your Master switch needs to be ON to energies the fuse panel.

Go to the horn......Probe the + side horn wire while someone pushes the horn button. What happens? Light should light.

Now swap the GND wire that is hooked to the battery to the + on the battery. Now probe the -NEG side of the horn wire.

What happens? No need to push the button. Light should light.....This test's the Neg wire and connections. What happens?

If the Neg side lights and the POS side does not.....Then we have to half split the circuit.... Test lead wire back on GND.
Your going to probe the switch now. Probe both sides....It should light on one side and not on ther other.

Now have someone push the horn button....It should light on the other side..... What happens?

If none of that works originally probing the horn button......Go look for a blown fuse.

BUT......My money is on the horn itself.....Those AFI horns are JUNK! They rust inside.

You want the Ongaro brand..... They are all Stainless.

Here's what the horn looks like from the other side of that screen.

100_5752_zps374ac3d2.jpg

warthog5":38nwvbr9 said:
OK We got somewhere. :)

By the way.... Pix's help a LOT!

You have a Walkaround Cuddy....aka W/A ......Correct?

They don't put trumpets on them usually, unless it would have a hardtop and maybe not then either.

Your going to need to get to the wires on the horn. It may drop in the front after the screws are removed and the grill removed that covers the horn.

You can do these tests with a 12V test light......

1st run a good ground wire aka GND to a known good ground.....I suggest going to the GND at the battery.

Your Master switch needs to be ON to energies the fuse panel.

Go to the horn......Probe the + side horn wire while someone pushes the horn button. What happens? Light should light.

Now swap the GND wire that is hooked to the battery to the + on the battery. Now probe the -NEG side of the horn wire.

What happens? No need to push the button. Light should light.....This test's the Neg wire and connections. What happens?

If the Neg side lights and the POS side does not.....Then we have to half split the circuit.... Test lead wire back on GND.
Your going to probe the switch now. Probe both sides....It should light on one side and not on ther other.

Now have someone push the horn button....It should light on the other side..... What happens?

If none of that works originally probing the horn button......Go look for a blown fuse.

BUT......My money is on the horn itself.....Those AFI horns are JUNK! They rust inside.

You want the Ongaro brand..... They are all Stainless.

Here's what the horn looks like from the other side of that screen.

100_5752_zps374ac3d2.jpg

Thanks alot - very helpful. I believe its the original AFI horn from 1995 that is on the boat but I will certainly check this weekend. I am willing to bet its just the old crappy horn rusted out and hopefully that black button is in fact for the horn.

Back