Cleaning Coaming pads

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djam

Reaction score
Hi, received a new 2320 with coaming pads, they really pick up dirt fast and the brush/soap isn't doing it. Any suggestions on the best way to clean or treat them to reduce the smuge marks? I love the pads.

Dave

There is a product called Marine Strip by a company named Restoration Technology. I don't know if it will work on your coaming pads or not but it's pretty amazing stuff. We use it on our trawler for cleaning fenders, power cords, etc. we clean with it and then treat with 303 Protectant. Looks like new. In Fl we can buy it several places, Boat Owners Warehouse having the best price I've seen. But in Maine, No Joy! I had to order a quart from the mfgr. The shipping was almost as much as the purchase (not really, but I'm spoiled by Amazon Prime!). Look on Restoration Technology's website to see if there is a source near you.

Replace coaming pads every two years. Very easy. Go to upholstery shop (take your own material). Should cost about $200. Keep it covered and you might make it to three.

I don't have coaming bolsters on the new 28. Probably won't put any on just to keep the maintenance aspect down.

Had them on my other Parkers and liked them but they were made by my canvas guy. As far as keeping them in good shape, I always kept a good coat of wax or equivalent on the gunwales to help wash of blood and such, I'd then wipe down the pads with the same towel. Most of the usual fishing mess would wash off. The more stubborn stuff I could get off with Clorox Clean-up or 409 or both. Eventually they will start to crack and retain water then you'll know they are ready to re-upholster. You can usually get 2-3 uses out of the foam underneath.

Back