23 SE or 23 DV

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishmore2013

Reaction score
I do not own a Parker yet, I currently have a 2012 Proline Classic 23 Center with a Yamaha 200 4 stroke. I fish 2 times a week in Long Island sound from April to October for Stripers, Blues, Albies, and Black Sea Bass. I trailer my boat and primarily fish out of the Connecticut river, fish local reefs, the race, the gut, and some of the points close to rocks, and Montauk and Block on occasion. My boat does pound me more than I like despite having a 19 degree deadrise. I realize I will need to sea trial but I was looking for anyone who has experience with the 23 SE and the 23 DV Center consoles. I like the open deck plan of the Parkers, and the fact that they are made to fish.
Thanks for the input Jon

Oh boy...if you do a search on the site there are at least a half dozen threads on this subject, but I know the waters you are talking about and if you want to be able to fish them whenever you want, I'd go deep vee. Some of the modified guys have come up with ways to drive their boats through rough stuff, but at some point a deeper dead rise is just more seaworthy.

Thanks Dave for the reply, I have done some searching on the internet and I get mixed answers. If you own a 23se you would probably say it does fine but if you have either owned both or spent time in both you really wouldn't know the answer. The 23se has a 14 degree deadrise and low transom with no engine well, which has me leaning more torwards the DV. I'll have to sea trial when I get closer to making the purchase.
Jon

I own a 2013 23 DVCC and had to make the same choice you are facing. I suggest the DV hull if you have the space (and tow vehicle if trailering). The DV boat is just larger and heavier giving it a better ride. It also has a fully closed transom making the boat larger as well.

Try to get rides in each boat you are considering.

I grew up in RI and have extensive experience fishing just east of where you are. 1'-2' chop is common. The DV rides much better in those conditions.

I have a 23se i trailer regularly but chose it over the DV for my trailer boat because we have a 25 DV. i have been on 2 different 23 DVs owned by buddies many times.

By what you metion in your OP, I would agree with prev posts here and be leaning toward the DV. Take a test run on both so you can see first hand, but I think you will see the difference right away. The SE drifts a lot more stable and can run/cross very skinny, but will not be as smooth a ride getting there in any sort of chop.

Both are big 23s and both trailer "legal". one buddy regularly trailers his DV - zero issues. The closed transom DV does feel bigger (it is significantly heavier and has a lottle more fishable deck space) so needs more engine than the SE.

I have owned my 23DV for about nine years. The ride is better in a chop than the SE (which I have ridden in many times) and not as good as a Regulator 23 (ditto). However, my Parker has much more fish-able room than a Reg, due to the enclosed transom and the platform.

If you are going to trailer it a lot, I hope you have a large tow vehicle. It is a big 23.

I own a 2017 23 SE. I fish the southern Chesapeake Bay. Although I love my boat, for what you describe, I recommend the DV. I love that my boat drifts so well (I used to have a Blackfin 29, great sea boat, lousy drifting boat). I love that I can fish in less than 2 feet in my rivers around here. I love that I can fish the whole bay on the RIGHT day. I love that it is beautiful in mint green and a custom hardtop. I love that it will run at 43-44 knots with its Yamaha 250. BUT, I would not say it is the boat for what you ask. It will pound in a chop, though its tabs are plenty to drive the nose in when you need (you will be wet). I don't think it rides very well in a following sea but I may be spoiled from the Blackfin. On the plus side for you, though I keep mine on a lift in the backyard, it is easy to trailer and works well behind my Ram 1500. It is a great boat for me at this point in my life and I would not trade it. You are not likely to agree for what you are looking for.

Back