New 2520XLD with single 300 Yamaha

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mimiclaire

Reaction score
Performance on new 2520 xld with single 300. Thought I would post this because I have seen so many posts that the 2520 xld should have twins on it. I previously had a 2520sld with a single 250. That boat was slow, I had to run that boat at 4800rpms to achieve 27 mph. In a following sea I constantly had to have my hand on the throttle to goose it to come out of the trough. The 4 blade prop did help a little. I sold the boat last year in the spring and ordered a 2017 2520 xld with a single 300 based on Parkers performance numbers. My boat is in V.B. So I fish the mouth of the bay and the ocean. I am more than pleased with my numbers on this motor. I now with two of us on board, all gear and 3/4 fuel can run 29-30mph at 4300rpms. You can defiantly can run this boat at 4500rpms without hurting it. Where I fish there are not alot of days you can run any faster. 30 mph I was burning 15.5 gph. My old boat I was burning 13.8 gph at 4800rpms to run 26-27 mph. Other than a safety factor, why would you need to cruise faster than 30-32 mph? Also do not need to hammer the throttle on this boat to get me up to speed. It will take me up on plane and 30mph withou hammering the throttle. I was trimmed up 4 bars on the trim. I am more than pleased with the performance of this boat with this 300. If these numbers are what you are looking for, don't let anyone tell you this motor is not enough. If you need to cruise 40mph, it will not do it, but where I fish, I do not need it. I hope this post helps people in their decision on this boat. Feel free to E-Mail if you like. [email protected] Grady I love the boat!

Very similar to the numbers I get. I just went to a Power Tech OSF4and now cruise at 4100 doing 28 mph burning 13.8. I have now done 2 canyon trips ( 72 nm from inlet) and my numbers were very good and shaved off a few gallons from the 3 blade Yamaha saltwater series II.

Thank you, good to know on the 4 blade. The 4 blade that I put on my old boat did help with my cruise numbers and in a following sea. This 300 has a lot more torque with the big 4.2 liter. Again I am thrilled with the performance with this 300. Grady

Somewhat different than my results.

Last year my new stock 2016 2520XL w/ single 300 Yamaha which is 800lbs lighter than a DV spun to 4500 to hit 30mph at 1.6MPG. Boat was a month old, new bottom paint, 1 person, light load and full of fuel. Top speed could barely hit 39-40 trimmed up. I complained to the factory and they had a tech sea trial my boat and his report was that it performed like all other new 2520XLs despite it being 6 mph slower and far less fuel efficient than advertised. Other props were tried, no help. No doubt bottom paint scrubbed off a little speed/economy, but not that much.

Here's a pic when it was 1 month old.

7TGHzK.jpg

Unhappy with the performance I upgraded to a new 2017 2820 with T300s this year. Even with double the HP and much heavier boat the economy is much better. And when conditions permit I can run an easy 45mph to get to the fish faster than my 2520 (2820 top speed ~58) while burning the same fuel as my 2520 at 30mph.

Here's a pic of the 2820 when 1 month old, same full fuel, bottom paint, 2 people this time, moderate fishing load.

W0XF30.jpg

Also, these motors need to be run hard at WOT on occasion, lots of good reading if you google 'making oil outboard motor'

Back