Parker 2520 Floor Resurface

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpellet

Reaction score
After 13 seasons of hauling tons and tons of dive gear and being smeared with blood and bait, my cockpit deck is beginning to show it's age. Structurally the floor is still rock sold but much of the antiskid is rubbed off and I have a few dings here and there.

I am ok with the ding repair having fixed a few over the years but I have not done any type of antiskid resurfacing/ floor painting.

Hoping some of you guys who have dealt with this will point me in the right direction in terms of best product/ techniques.

I am located in Eastern CT and while I am planning on doing the work myself, I am not opposed to hiring a pro if anyone has a recommendation for a good guy.

Thanks in advance.

Mike....

I am getting the cockpit redone soon in gelcoat by a local guy who does a lot work on Grady White boats at a Placida marina. FWIW He was highly recommended by the Ingman Marine who sells GW , too

Floor has been checked and is solid. All cracks and dents, etc will ground down. and filled then the rest a light sanding to rough up the remaining surface, clean, vacuum, clean, vacuum clean, clean, LOL then Parker gelcoat rolled.

I will post pics when done

Brent":eeu1wglx said:
I am getting the cockpit redone soon in gelcoat by a local guy who does a lot work on Grady White boats at a Placida marina. FWIW He was highly recommended by the Ingman Marine who sells GW , too

Floor has been checked and is solid. All cracks and dents, etc will ground down. and filled then the rest a light sanding to rough up the remaining surface, clean, vacuum, clean, vacuum clean, clean, LOL then Parker gelcoat rolled.

I will post pics when done

I'd hire him but thinking a 1400 mile commute would make the job a bit pricey..... 8)

Obviously, having it re-gel coated would be a great way to fix it however, I have personally used Kiwi Grip and love the stuff. I know it's been said by some that the stuff doesn't last but I can tell you, if applied correctly I know you will not have to touch it for 5-7 years (then you can put future applications right over without sanding, just a good cleaning). For under $150 you can get a gallon which will leave you with plenty for future touch-ups if you need. I used a gallon to do a 2320 and a 19' Kencraft center console. The key is, like everything else, the preparation. Ensuring the floor is lightly sanded (to give it something to adhere to) and clean is very important. In fact, make sure you clean it well before you sand it and after. I personally do not have the experience using gel coat so this made my life (and wallet) a little easier. Just m2cw. I am sure others will chime in as very capable people here have a lot of experience with the various ways to fix it.

Put me in the school of boaters who does not like Kiwi grip

I've used both Awlgrip and Sherwin Williams Tile clad with great success is non-skid applications. I like Awlgrip more that T-C but the former is slightly harder to use but gives a slightly nicer finish. T-C will cost $150 for 2 - 1gallon kits. Awlgrip will cost with $300.

Gelcoat is good too but you'll need to work fast with a roller or spray it on because the pot-life is short (15-20 min tops). I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself as a first timer....... and it will cost $1,000 to 2,000 to have it done

Where is the boat located?

Back