2110 fuel range question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wet Willie

Reaction score
Well, I finally got my 2000 2110 (purchased back in the spring) in the water and running beautifully. For those of you that saw my thread in the project section, I am sorry I didn't keep the thread updated better but I was having trouble uploading alot of my pics to the site so I gave up on it. If any other 2110 owners have any questions, I now know EVERY INCH of this boat, inside and out intimately so I will be glad to help any way I can. Just let me know. I have a question that I am hoping some of you can help me with. As most of you know, the 2110 and the 2120 are the same exact hull so I was hoping some of you 2120 owners out there with 2 stroke power can tell what sort of fuel range ya'll are getting. I have a 2000 Yamaha 175 carb. on my boat with a 13 3/4 x 17 stainless prop. I have topped off my tank twice since starting to use the boat and I averaged 2.1 statute mpg one time and 2.26 statute mpg the next. The problem I have is that the use of the boat was mixed running on calm water,running in slop,putting around, and pulling a tube for a little as well. During that time I did have one continuous 50 mile run on fairly calm water on that first tank full. It's hard for me to get an accurate reading of just how much I'm burning under what conditions. I would especially like to know how many gph you burn at trolling speed because a couple buddies I are planning my first offshore trip in the boat and we want to be safe until we get a better idea of actual burn. I do feel confident in getting 1.75 statute mpg cruising in decent conditions, but I don't want to underestimate my fuel usage at trolling speed and get into trouble. Any real world data will be greatly appreciated. Also, before anyone says it, I do have plans of buying the kit for my new Garmin 741xs to show my real time burn, but that's gonna have to wait a while, the project is over budget at the moment. That is something I'm sure you ALL can understand. :D

FWIW, I did do a search but most all I could find were numbers from 4 stroke owners. Thanks in advance!

PKS1801":2ztto4md said:
Do you have a NMEA network on the boat, and do you have a GPS that will support fuel management data?
I do not have a NMEA Network but I do have a GPS that will support fuel management data. I do plan on adding fuel management capability as well as a couple other upgrades over the winter but the project is currently over budget and I would like to get a couple fishing trips in before cold weather sets in and build the "boat fund" up a bit. Since I spent most of my free time this summer working on the boat I'd like to enjoy it a bit before I start working on/upgrading it again. Lol. I was mainly hoping someone could give me an idea of my fuel burn at trolling speeds with the 2 stroke so I can better estimate my safe range. I am pretty confident that I will get at least 1.5 to 2 mpg at cruise depending on conditions but I'm really not sure what to expect while trolling. I am thinking sonewhere around 2 or 3 GPH but was hoping someone with a similar boat could give me some real world data. I do appreciate the help buddy!

Brent":j8u8j07g said:
What is your WOT rpm?
I've only opened it up to WOT once because the GF doesn't like to go fast and she's been with me every time I've been out but I got 5,200 RPM at 40 mph. That was with 3 people on board, a heavy cooler, and about 90 gal. of fuel. Didnt get to play with the trim to see if I could squeeze a little more out of it because she got fussy. She gets nervous. Lol.

Also, FWIW, cruising at 4,200 I am getting 26 to 28 statute mph depending on current, sea state, and trim. This is with the above stated load of 3 people and the heavy cooler. Every time I have run the boat thus far I have had no less than 3 and one time 5 people on board with fishing equipment.

A buddy had the 2120 and claimed a 3.3 to 3.5mpg fuel economy in all-around conditions (offshore fishing, cruising around with the family) with a Yamaha F150. He had the Yamaha fuel management system and was calibrated.

Since you have a similar boat but a 2-stroke 175, I'd estimate your fuel economy to be 40-50% less than his.

GoodChance":1yk0c1zp said:
A buddy had the 2120 and claimed a 3.3 to 3.5mpg fuel economy in all-around conditions (offshore fishing, cruising around with the family) with a Yamaha F150. He had the Yamaha fuel management system and was calibrated.

Since you have a similar boat but a 2-stroke 175, I'd estimate your fuel economy to be 40-50% less than his.
That is real close to where I seem to be. A little over 2 mpg. average. I do know that at cruising speeds,there's not a whole heck of alot of difference between 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. Where the diference comes in is at trolling speeds. Without fuel management in place I can only average but as I said, I did average 2.1 on 1 fillup and 2.26 on the other. Without knowing how much of that fuel was burned at cruise and how much was burned at slower speeds I can only speculate. That bieng said, according to my calculations, I should have approx. a 60 mile range. The way I figure it, 60 out and 60 back is +/- 60 gallons. If I troll at 6 mph. for 8 hours using the 2 mpg average that would be another 24 gallons IF I am getting 2 mpg at troll speed. That would equal to 3 gph which sounds close. If anything I would think I may do a little better. That would still give me a 15 gallon buffer for worse sea conditions,etc. I think I'll start with a 40 mile limit on my first trip and see how that goes. I do know that my fuel gauge is accurate because I pumped the tank completely and had my son watch the gauge as I was filling the tank for the first time. He verified that 1/4,1/2 and 3/4 tank is where it should be. I also know that when the last bar starts flashing I have approx. 15 gallons left in the tank. Granted, this was done with the boat sitting on the trailer, so the boat's attitude in the water will effect the gauge somewhat. I also know that the tank does in fact hold 100 gallons and I also know that at least 90 gallons of that is usable. After pumping the tank, I dumped 10 gallons in the boat out of gas cans to start the motor and all but I was still rebedding some stuff on the boat so I didn't want to tow it to the gas station. It ran fine with only ten gallons in the tank. All that being said, thanks for your help! Any real time data is helpful! Like, I said, fuel management is on the list for this winter. I just wanted to feel good about sneaking a trip in this fall, with all safety gear and a buddy boat of course.

I know this doesn't help much as you need 2 stroke data but I burn about 11.8 GPH at 4400 RPM's and 28/29 mph. Last time I checked trolling burn I think it was between 1 & 1.5 gph and that was doing about 5mph troll speed. I wouldn't think that you wouldn't burn much over 2gph even on a 2 stroke at troll? I never had that kind of data on my old Yam 115 I had that was a 2 stroke which is to bad as it would give me some kind of comparison? Sorry, I never change my command link over to NMPG so I don't know the conversion. I budget for a 12gph burn running to & from the stream and 2 gph trolling. Luckily, I only have 35 to 38 miles each way so I can do the whole trip on 50/60 gals tops. This is depending on how long I stay out which is usually only about 3 hrs on station fishing as I like to turn home before afternoon thermals kick up. Fair weather fisherman :lol: .

shawnee83":2f7rnuwc said:
I know this doesn't help much as you need 2 stroke data but I burn about 11.8 GPH at 4400 RPM's and 28/29 mph. Last time I checked trolling burn I think it was between 1 & 1.5 gph and that was doing about 5mph troll speed. I wouldn't think that you wouldn't burn much over 2gph even on a 2 stroke at troll? I never had that kind of data on my old Yam 115 I had that was a 2 stroke which is to bad as it would give me some kind of comparison? Sorry, I never change my command link over to NMPG so I don't know the conversion. I budget for a 12gph burn running to & from the stream and 2 gph trolling. Luckily, I only have 35 to 38 miles each way so I can do the whole trip on 50/60 gals tops. This is depending on how long I stay out which is usually only about 3 hrs on station fishing as I like to turn home before afternoon thermals kick up. Fair weather fisherman :lol: .
It does help my friend and it is greatly appreciated. You are lucky that you have such a short run to the fun! Alot of folks don't realise that there's not much difference between 2 stroke vs 4 stroke fuel burn at cruising speeds. However,the 2 stroke is less efficient at slower speeds. I do anticipate somewhere between 2 to 3 gph trolling but was just hoping for some real life data from similarly powered boats. I do have a spot or 2 approx. 40 miles out that hold some nice fish and I don't plan on fishing 50+ miles from shore all the time. My situation is this, I plan to fish off of Va. Beach and from Rudee Inlet the closest fairly reliable fishing is 35 or so miles from Rudee, the canyon is 70 or so out. However, I live about 25 mi. from the mouth of Chesapeake Bay and if I have the range, I would much rather leave from home than to trailer 1 1/2 hrs. or more and contend with Norfolk and Va. Beach traffic and also have to deal with the crowds at the ramp! My goal is to be able to fish the closer inshore grounds leaving from home. And then, if need be, I could always duck in to Rudee or Lynnhaven on the way back for fuel once back to shore. So basically, I would have a 70 mi. run out and a 40 mile run back to my closest opportunity to buy fuel. Obviously nobody is gonna be open to sell me fuel at 5:00 A.M. so I'll have to head out on what I have. My guess is it's gonna be close, depending on just how long I troll. As I said, I have been AVERAGING a little over 2 mpg., so if I figure 70 out + 40 back for a total of 110 mi cruising at 1.75 mpg (to give a buffer) that should use approx. 63 gallons. Now, if I troll for 5 hrs. at 3 gph (I think this is worse case) that should use approx. 15 more gallons for a total of 78. I should certainly have enough to make the trip if I get fuel in Va. Beach on the way in. If I burn a little less than that at cruise or at trolling speeds(and I should unless it's snotty out) I can possibly make it back to the house without fueling. Once back in the bay, there are numerous places to fuel between Va. Beach and the house. Needless to say, if I'm planning on fishing the grounds further out, I'll either have to carry extra fuel or trailer to Va. Beach. Also, leaving from home gives me the option to stay in the bay and fish if the weather man is wrong that day, and we all know how often that happens. Lol. If you wake up at 2 A.M. and trailer for 1 1/2 hours to the beach just to find out the weather isn't fit to fish outside and you have to fish the bay anyhow, you've been through alot of trailering, preparation, and wasting time for nothing. The way I see it, if I'm gonna trailer the boat, I may as well head down your way for the weekend! I just simply don't have the time to do that very often. I'm just trying to figure out what I can pull off reasonably and safely. Thanks for the help Shawnee!

Back